Proper way to save a modified conformer as a new conformer?

cwichuracwichura Posts: 1,042
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

Greetings,

I am working on kitbashing a new outfit. I am using the Cyria suit as part of this, keeping just the bottom of the suit and the belt (e.g., a "panty only" version) to mix with a different top. In the past, I've created a new primitive, converted prop to figure, and then used the 'assign hidden faces to figure' (or whatever the exact wording is) to make this figure hide the parts of the outfit I don't want. However, this makes it harder to re-use the modified outfit, since you also have to remember to load a new instance of this fake geo-graft figure. Plus, I am also re-assigning faces to new surfaces to facilitate use of tiling shaders instead of using the texture maps that the suit came with.

I'm wondering if I can instead hide the faces I don't want and then use the PGE's 'delete hidden faces' option to make a new version of the suit. When I save this just as a scene, when reloaded, all the morphs for the suit are broken, since they expect the full geometry to be there. But can I save the modified suit as a new figure asset and get all the morphs to copy over and know that the deleted faces are gone, so loading a new instance of the 'panty' suit works correctly? If so, what are the options I need to specify to make this happen correctly?

(Just setting opacity to zero is not sufficient. I use Reality to export to LuxRender, and I do not want this geometry to ever make it to Lux, since Lux has problems with a mesh with the 'null' material (e.g., opacity 0) intersecting another mesh causing black cracks where the meshes intersect.)

Thanks

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,341
    edited December 1969

I'm fairly sure that will work, as long as the morphs are working on the modified item in the scene.

• cwichuracwichura Posts: 1,042
    edited December 1969

When I do save as figure asset, it writes stuff out, including the morphs. But the morph files are the same as the original. So when it reloads, the morphs are broken since deleting the faces in the PGE didn't tell the morphs those faces are gone.

I've also experimented a bit with re-assigning faces to a different face group and then I can toggle that bone off in the scene view and it hides all the faces. I believe all the weight maps remain the same, so bending/etc should still work, right? I've looked at the joint editor to try making my own bone to use instead of assigning to one of the existing skeleton bones, but I'll be damned if I can find the 'add new bone' option.

Thanks

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,341
    edited December 1969

Add bones should be in the context menu for the Joint Editor tool - the right-click in the viewport one, though I think it's also in the Tool Settings Pane option menu.

Would you report the morph problem as a bug please.