Do you 3D while listening to music?

2»

Comments

• Subtropic PixelSubtropic Pixel Posts: 2,378
    edited December 1969

As to #4, one time many years ago, my girlfriend and I were in my apartment when the neighbors had a fight. Well, the guy had a fight, the girl just got a beating; we could hear it clearly on our side of the wall, including the sounds of her body being thrown against it! I called the cops that day. My own girlfriend was beside herself.

The cops came by after they left that other apartment. The cop sounded mostly ineffectual, and even a bit lazy (they should have arrested SOMEBODY that night), although we never heard any noise from that apartment after that.

After that day I thought long and hard about arming my girlfriend and myself.

• macleanmaclean Posts: 2,438
    edited December 1969

Cayman said:
    maclean said:
    No music when I'm working. I don't listen to music - I participate in it (I'm an ex-musician). So if I have any music on, I end up leaping from my chair and jumping round the room. LOL.

I need silence to concentrate when I'm making products. Occasionally, I'll make an exception and maybe put on Brian Eno. I don't mind low ambient sounds.

mac

The Windows starting up and shutting down music is by Brian Eno, I believe. So we all listen to him! :lol:

I'm a silence man. And when I listen to music I only listen to music.

Well..... actually, no. I have all windows sounds switched off. Not only that, I have my sound card linked to external speakers which I plug in when I want sound.

Eno did the sound for win 95. In an interview, he gave an amusing description of the brief from MS. It went something like "The sound has to be uplifting, futuristic, positive, dynamic, hopeful, cheery (insert long list of adjectives) . . . and 3.5 seconds long!"

Eno had a good laugh at that, but it seemed like a challenge, so he went ahead.

mac

• macleanmaclean Posts: 2,438
    edited December 1969

does practicing Bowie tunes on the guitar while rendering count?

Heh. Me too. I can't sit around waiting on renders.

Bowie's great to play on the guitar. I've often wondered if he would like my version of 'The Man who sold The World'. It's very laid-back. And I do a mean Jean Genie. LOL.

mac

• Steven-VSteven-V Posts: 727
    edited December 1969

I usually DAZ in silence, but sometimes I will listen to music.

• riftwitchriftwitch Posts: 1,405
    edited December 1969

maclean said:
    No music when I'm working. I don't listen to music - I participate in it (I'm an ex-musician). So if I have any music on, I end up leaping from my chair and jumping round the room. LOL.

I need silence to concentrate when I'm making products. Occasionally, I'll make an exception and maybe put on Brian Eno. I don't mind low ambient sounds.

mac

I didn't think it was possible to be an ex-musician. That sounds like a fate worse than death. I intend to keep making noise as long as I'm physically (and mentally) able.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,157
    edited December 1969

I love music. I play music all the time. I sing allot too so yea, music + work = good mix for this Wolffie!

• LuckBeLuckBe Posts: 93
    edited December 1969

I have music on pretty much all the time, especially when I'm working. Tunes I love in the background goes miles to keep me focused and motivated on a task. I can nitpick at something for hours without minding so long as the music is good. Working on something in silence just makes me cranky and bored.

• ZarconDeeGrissomZarconDeeGrissom Posts: 5,412
    edited December 1969

Most of my tunes are in WAV format on my file server, so I can play them threw the Entertainment-PC or my workstation, as desired. The E-PC is hooked up to a surround sound system, and my workstation is a tad different.

Workstation -> UA-25EX -> MON800
    -> MR5mk2
    -> HPA17r16 -> MDR V600
    (I also use that MON800 to link my 2M radio to the comp for "fldigi").

E-PC, Turtle Beach Santa Cruz -> 2x car amps (circa 1995) -> 4x Cambridge Soundworks Ensemble (first gen) sub's, and sat's.

So, what dose ZDG mostly listen to when rendering, well, it's 'Epic' most of the time. :coolsmile:

• FistyFisty Posts: 3,416
    edited December 1969

I really like this "Epic" compilation
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WU7SGn0MeP0

• Atticus BonesAtticus Bones Posts: 364
    edited December 1969

On a related note: How awesome would it be if someone sculpts some morphs of famous composers?

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,631
    edited December 1969

Ooh, I like this Epic thing.

It wouldn't be that great, Atticus, unless they also made matching wigs, because the combo of profile + period wig is how we identify most of those composers now.

• Cayman StudiosCayman Studios Posts: 1,135
    edited March 2015

It wouldn't be that great, Atticus, unless they also made matching wigs, because the combo of profile + period wig is how we identify most of those composers now.

But it might be fun to see Beethoven in a Mohawk.

Post edited by Cayman Studios on
  • ZarconDeeGrissomZarconDeeGrissom Posts: 5,412
    edited December 1969

Fisty said:
    I really like this "Epic" compilation
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WU7SGn0MeP0

The opening track is perfect for my new friend, Ptolema, that just arrived. Pandora gave up the ghost after twenty years. She was a great 1650 watt microwave. Ptolema, while not as strong, can still dish out 1250 watts or egg exploding fun. lol.
    :-)
    Is it a good idea to microwave this? The masks they do nothing! lol.
  • Atticus BonesAtticus Bones Posts: 364
    edited March 2015

And whilst they're at it, would it kill them to make some period costumes for them to perform in? Thanks.
    A boy can dream. :)
    Post edited by Atticus Bones on
  • DestinysGardenDestinysGarden Posts: 2,550
    edited December 1969

To music or not to music? That is the question.
    I go back and forth. Having the television on when I'm trying to be productive is out of the question. I either get distracted if it is something I am interested in, or completely annoyed if it something I'm not interested in. Youtube and Netflix are also out because they typically fall into the "too interesting" category. One time I spent 2 hours on Youtube watching and listening to all the Doctor Who theme songs, lol. Didn't get a dang thing done that night.
    Somewhere around 10pm every night, the kid and the husband go to bed, so I can turn the TV off and work for a few hours on my own. If I'm trying to figure something out, or learn something new, it has to be total silence. If I'm saving 100 shader presets, or doing test renders or promos, I need sound. Occasionally I have music going. Classical is always good. I like the standards: Beethoven, Mozart, Tchaikovsky.
    If I feel like singing along, '80s new wave is the way to go, or Andrew Lloyd Weber's musicals soundtracks. If I need a motivational beet, or something with an edge, 90's industrial is top choice.
    Most of the time, I listen to audio books. I do mean most of the time. In the kitchen washing the dishes or making dinner, doing yard work or housework, while making quilts, in the car, and of course, while working at my computer. I've got a Creative Zen MP3 player that has a speaker on it, and it doesn't leave my pocket. I still find it somewhat miraculous that a 2" by 3.5" rectangle can let me bring everything Neil Gaiman ever wrote, all of Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles, the entire Harry Potter series, The Chronicles of Narnia, The Wheel of Time series, the classic works of Charles Dickens, my favorites from Shakespeare, and whatever new book that catches my eye, and carry them all around with me in my pocket.
    At night the radio must be on, or I can't get to sleep. Fortunately, my husband is the same way.

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167
    edited December 1969

There was an interesting discussion on a blender podcast were Jonathan Williamson mentioned the "Balmer Curve" or "Balmer Peak" (named after Microsofts Steve Balmer) and it was the theory of how much alcohol you need to consume to be creative and how much to get sloppy and stop working. Another theory was when you need to perform repetitive tasks on a project people tend to be better with caffeine, but when something creative was required and you needed to think outside the norm it was suggested you consume alcohol (see Balmer Peak)

maclean said:
    does practicing Bowie tunes on the guitar while rendering count?

Heh. Me too. I can't sit around waiting on renders.

Bowie's great to play on the guitar. I've often wondered if he would like my version of 'The Man who sold The World'. It's very laid-back. And I do a mean Jean Genie. LOL.

mac

I do a pretty "Sabbathy" (read: sloppy) first 5 minutes of "Width of a Circle", but the Mick Ronson guitar work on that is flawless. People seemed not grasp that "man who sold the world" was a Bowie tune from 1969 when Nirvana did an almost note-for-note cover of it in the 90's., I love to play that song. That whole album is just so amazing.
    Haven't tried Jean Genie, but I did figure out "Rebel Rebel", I think that was Earl Slick's work.
    Since I began rendering in Lux I spend a lot more time with a guitar in front of my computer and my amp on standby.