Cleaning up and merging runtimes...

AabhnormalAabhnormal Posts: 85
edited December 1969 in Technical Help (nuts n bolts)

Hello again! Okay, so against the better advice given here a long time ago (Actually because I forgot it), I tried cleaning up my Runtimes so they are less messy (I have to go all the way out of my Daz Root, then all the way IN to my Poser directories, waaaay down into a subdirectory, select an item, bringing it into the scene, then back ALL the way back out, go back into my Daz Directory, select another item, back ALL the way out, etc.

Aaaaaand...

So... I figured out that Daz can't handle Poser things mixed with Daz things in the same directory (Which is irritating)... but it seems that it can't handle it unless it's in the EXACT structure it was when it was Poser, either. I tried trimming all of the odds and ends out of my Poser directory and moving Character, Pose, Textures and Props into the root and no dice. They vanished.

Now that everything is back, though, Daz can't seem to find anything... It will say "Can't find "Vicki4.obj"..." Then it'll open up a folder with Vicki4.obj as the first item in the folder... as if it needs me to point to it...

It acts like my 5 year old ;) :D (You haven't cleaned up.... there are Legos right by your feet! Oh! I didn't see that....)

Anyway, clearly there is something set wrong, nothings in my old Poser directory will open without Daz asking me to point at the file in the folder that it opens now...

My twin questions are:

1) How do I merge my Runtimes so all of my Props are in the "Things" folder and not in two very distant locations on very far branches of two different trees.

and

2) How do I get Daz to stop asking me to point to things in the folders it's looking at?

Thank you, guys!

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Geometries and Textures have to be in the correct relative path -- most content keeps those files outside of the Libraries, so as long as you don't try to clean up files that aren't visible inside the application anyway, you shouldn't have a problem. However, there was a period during which Poser had the annoying habit of putting the .obj in the libraries folder along with the .cr2/.pp2, so if you move those folders you need to edit the .cr2/.pp2 with the new path to the .obj.

edited December 1969

As for moving files around, the only folders under Runtime which are visible inside DS or Poser are:
    Runtime:Libraries:Character
    Runtime:Libraries:Camera
    Runtime:Libraries:Face
    Runtime:Libraries:Hair
    Runtime:Libraries:Hand
    Runtime:Libraries:Light
    Runtime:Libraries:Materials
    Runtime:Libraries:Pose
    Runtime:Libraries:Props
    Runtime:Libraries:Scene

As long as you stay inside those folders, you can usually rearrange things inside them (DS and Poser 8 or higher don't require each Poser filetype to be in its default library folder, so you can put your .cr2 hair in the Hair library, or your .pz2 mats in the Materials library).

• AabhnormalAabhnormal Posts: 85
    edited December 1969

Aha! I think that's exactly what has happened. I know I moved my texture files. Though I don't think I moved my obj files... so this is going to be interesting to track down.

Thank you for helping me out! :D

edited December 1969

BTW, I use Categories now rather than moving files and folders around. That way I can combine DS-format and Poser-format items, have the same item in more than one category, and set it up exactly how I like, without any risk of breaking something by moving the wrong file.

• AabhnormalAabhnormal Posts: 85
    edited December 1969

That's a great idea. One of the reasons that I have a 16 year old Runtime is because of the ease of moving one Runtime and installing it in a new install/new computer, etc... If I set these categories up, will I still be able to just pick up the "Runtime" and move it?

edited December 1969

What I do is "Export User Data" after categorizing a lot of stuff, that way I can move the content folder to a new computer and re-import my categories.