New Laptop, New External HD, No Categories

ajb47ajb47 Posts: 18
edited December 1969 in The Commons

So it became time to get a new laptop (Apple MacBook Pro) and since my old external HD with all my DAZ content was getting a little flaky (claiming it was disconnected when it wasn't), I bought a new one of those, too.

In my haste to make sure I got all my data off the old external (history note: a year ago, I lost another hard drive and had to re-download all my content which took a lot of time), I just copied everything from the old to the new. As my subject says, with the new install of Daz 4.7, all the content is there, but all my categorizations have been lost.

Is there a way to get my categories from the old install on the old laptop with the old external HD into the new install on the new laptop with the new HD without causing problems with the new install/HD? Is it just a simple "Export User Data" on the old, then an Import on the new (I'd need to know the steps for that, since I've never had to do it and have only read about it once or twice.)

As an added question, is there an easy way to mark all my content as installed for DIM? Or is the best I can do is Hide it all?

Thanks in advance,

AJ

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Export User Data on the old computer (Content Library options menu > Content DB Maintenance > Export User Data) -- this creates files named UserData_1.dsx (and _2, etc., if needed) in the Runtime:Support folder in your first DAZ Studio-format content folder. Copy that file to the new computer, and Re-Import Metadata from the same Content DB Maintenance menu. Make sure your external is connected, of course. The .dsx files in Runtime:Support have only relative addresses, so it doesn't matter if the external has the same volume name on the new computer as it did on the old, but when you do the Re-Import it will get the new absolute path.

For DIM, there is a folder named ManifestFiles -- default location should be in the same folder that has the Downloads folder. Copy those files to the corresponding location on the new computer and then DIM will treat all of those products as installed. The ManifestFiles files have the install path in them, so if the content location on the new computer doesn't match DIM won't be able to update the products (although it will still consider them installed). The ManifestFiles files are plain text, so you can do a global edit on them if necessary.

• ajb47ajb47 Posts: 18
    edited December 1969

OK, moving the categories worked like a charm, though I probably didn't need to leave "Mark content as New" checked. I still have to do the files for the DIM, but if I have DIM delete the downloads after installation, will those manifest files still be there?

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,598
    edited December 1969

ajb47 said:
    OK, moving the categories worked like a charm, though I probably didn't need to leave "Mark content as New" checked. I still have to do the files for the DIM, but if I have DIM delete the downloads after installation, will those manifest files still be there?

Yes the manifest files will stay in place.