Hair in LY Darby Promo?

twallingtwalling Posts: 241
edited March 2015 in The Commons

Does anybody know what hair prop that is?

http://www.daz3d.com/ly-darby

EDIT: There are multiple hair props used, I mean the long hair style in the first two pictures.

Post edited by twalling on

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,866
    edited December 1969

Doll Hair by SWAM is close, but it has one shorter layer.

• twallingtwalling Posts: 241
    edited December 1969

Yeah, it does look close but not quite.

My guesses would be either something by Mairy because of the windy sort of morph, or outoftouch because of the shape of it but I can't for the life of me figure out which one it is!

• twallingtwalling Posts: 241
    edited December 1969

Haha... it turns out it's one I already owned... and I was right, it was by Mairy... it's Alkyone hair.

• SloshSlosh Posts: 2,391
    edited December 1969

Yeah, Lyoness frequently uses Mairy hairs, so it's usually a good place to look if you don't see it in the DAZ store.

• ZarconDeeGrissomZarconDeeGrissom Posts: 5,412
    edited March 2015

I hate to be a subtil voice of reason, tho considering my last experience.

Alkyone hair. Dose it function in Daz Studio without needing to completely remake the thing in Hex or blender. and dose it actually work on G2F without needing to remake half the mesh to keep it from kinking up around the neck.

A) the product dose NOT say anything about Genesis, let alone G2F.
    B) an OBJ file is not a DUF file
    C) Already been there with a different style, and I still can't use the hair that only came with PZ2 files, not DUF files. It refuses to sit correctly on G2F's scalp.

Just looking at the Darby promos, dose not lend allot of confidence in the texture mats as well. Again, been there with no success.
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/743883/

Post edited by ZarconDeeGrissom on
  • scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,341
    edited December 1969

I don't actually have the Alkyone hair but I do have several others by Mairy and co, and have no problems using them in DS or on Genesis 2 characters; there are no actually fits for G2 in older hairs but they can usually be fitted by using the scaling or the morphs provided, place it on the head using the xyz translate dials; just don't autofit the hair just parent it to the head.
    DS can use most Poser files, yes the mats may need tweaking but its not usually a lot - nothing like it use to be.

edited December 1969

I don't actually have the Alkyone hair but I do have several others by Mairy and co, and have no problems using them in DS or on Genesis 2 characters; there are no actually fits for G2 in older hairs but they can usually be fitted by using the scaling or the morphs provided, place it on the head using the xyz translate dials; just don't autofit the hair just parent it to the head.
    DS can use most Poser files, yes the mats may need tweaking but its not usually a lot - nothing like it use to be.

I beg to differ, even with some styles sold here for generation 4. lol.
    That entire page in my thread is almost nothing other then me trying to import the thing into Daz Studio, and at the end of the day, the Geometry was just so bad, I gave up.
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/743736/
    The "TriAx(tm) mesh thing" did nothing at all by the way.
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/744189/
    edited December 1969

Why are you importing it, if you install it you can just load it from the poser runtime, I haven't come across a hair that I can't use in DS on any figure if you just treat it like a prop.

edited December 1969

Why are you importing it, if you install it you can just load it from the poser runtime, I haven't come across a hair that I can't use in DS on any figure if you just treat it like a prop.
    Because it is a major pain, to go threw all of that fitting and position, every time I want to use an item. It is just so much better when you just have to select the figure, double-click the hair, and it goes where it is supposed to.

So I should be using a different save-as for the hair? Or are you referring to that TriAx / "Smoothing Modifier" thing to try to fix the folded polygons?

edited December 1969

I don't resave things like that I fit them for each character, I tend to use extreme morphs so it probable wouldn't be much use, I don't find it usually takes very long to fit most hairs - practice I guess. The positioning shouldn't be too much of a problem have the figure in the default pose load in hair its usually just a case of the y trans that needs altering.
    You can often shrink hairs down to slightly under the scalp and then use the smoothing modifier to help fit them.

edited December 1969

I don't resave things like that I fit them for each character, I tend to use extreme morphs so it probable wouldn't be much use, I don't find it usually takes very long to fit most hairs - practice I guess. The positioning shouldn't be too much of a problem have the figure in the default pose load in hair its usually just a case of the y trans that needs altering.
    You can often shrink hairs down to slightly under the scalp and then use the smoothing modifier to help fit them.
    :down: If that is the only way, and saving it after doing all that work for use on other figures is not an option.

I regretfully, do not like to pay for the same real estate twice, let alone multiple times. It tends to become more tedious and draining rather then fun.

• LyonessLyoness Posts: 1,612
    edited December 1969

to be honest. I use V4 hair all the time in my promos.
    I found that the easiest way to make them work is simply to drag the hair from the library over to the head> allow menu to appear> select "parent to head".
    Voila. It drops onto the head and there is very little adjusting to be done. Best of all, all the morphs remain in place so I can use everything.

I recommend that everyone use this technique for applying V4 hair to G2F.

edited March 2015

I must have been dealt a string of bad styles then, lol. I've tried that with the same results as selecting the figure and double clicking the item in the CL (assuming I can find it). They always seam to sit wrong on the scalp, some to high on the forehead, others to low. Then there is the posing fun, move the head this way, and the hair rotates a completely different way, lol. (or was it the shoulder, it was something with Yasmin, and that hair "Amarseda V4")
    http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/29664
    Why is it twisted like that!? to hell with it, just post it and move on. lol. The HMHM redviper hair on Eve, was exactly the same. I didn't want it flaying out like it was in every single render, I just stopped carrying about it.
    http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/31113/
    http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/31472
    http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/images/45899/
    etc...

It's akin to trying to stab food on your plate, with some one else moving the plate around on you, lol.

Pleas, just stop moving the plate, and give me that style with G2F rigging, and mats that look good in Studio, pleas.

* To be fair to all the PA's, the choice of styles has improved immensely the last few months. Eve has a few new styles now, and Yasmin, well, time will tell.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Lyoness said:
    I found that the easiest way to make them work is simply to drag the hair from the library over to the head> allow menu to appear> select "parent to head".
    Voila. It drops onto the head and there is very little adjusting to be done. Best of all, all the morphs remain in place so I can use everything.

That's what I am doing too ...

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,992
    edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    Lyoness said:

AutoFit for figure hair does now preserve morphs, though not of course custom bones for things like tails.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    Lyoness said:

AutoFit for figure hair does now preserve morphs, though not of course custom bones for things like tails.

Happily it does ...
    but autofit doesn't work with "hair hair" (OK, prop hair - but hair hair has a certain ring to it)
    - does it?

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,992
    edited December 1969

No, figure hair only.

edited December 1969

well, hair hair is always meant to fit parented to the head. That's why the autofit doesn't work.

edited December 1969

Lyoness said:
    well, hair hair is always meant to fit parented to the head. That's why the autofit doesn't work.
    Now I'm kind of lost. Are you talking about that peach-fuzz that plane V4 has on her head, or the hair that comes with the Figure-and-hair bundles (For example Estella)?
    http://www.daz3d.com/estelle-hd-character-and-hair
    Or is this "Hair Hair" thing something else entirely?
  • MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,883
    edited December 1969

Any poser format prop hair (found in the hair folder) or figure hair (found in the Figure folder) can be pareneted to the head of any figure in DS regardless of who its meant for. The thing to keep in mind is that you will need to do some manual tweaking to make it look right. But once parented, it will stay with your figure in the scene where ever they go.

• SpitSpit Posts: 2,342
    edited December 1969

I loaded up G2F then grabbed at random a V4 hair figure from my Hair runtime and dragged it onto G2F's head. Up popped the autofit thingy (because it was figure hair) I just cancelled the dialog and whaddya know the hair popped right into place. I then dragged the hair to the head in the scene pane to parent it and it stayed in place. I twirled the camera around and it was eerie it fit so well I didn't have to adjust at all.

edited March 2015

Spit said:
    I loaded up G2F then grabbed at random a V4 hair figure from my Hair runtime and dragged it onto G2F's head. Up popped the autofit thingy (because it was figure hair) I just cancelled the dialog and whaddya know the hair popped right into place. I then dragged the hair to the head in the scene pane to parent it and it stayed in place. I twirled the camera around and it was eerie it fit so well I didn't have to adjust at all.

yep, that drag-n-drop went well. Odd, it didn't ask about the auto-fit, usually it dose for cloths. Same results from the smart tab, and from the Contend Labyrinth.

Amarseda must be thoroughly broken, let me find a different V4 style to try on LY Evie.
    (EDIT)
    It must be broken, Estal Hair did ask, tho same results from hitting cancel.

LyEvie_vs_Estal_JustDragOver_fromCL_002_JustCancelOutOfAutoFit.png
    1718 x 806 - 298K
    LyEvie_vs_Estal_JustDragOver_fromCL_001.png
    1524 x 806 - 239K
    LyEvie_vs_Amarseda_JustDragOver_002_fromCL.png
    1718 x 806 - 306K
    LyEvie_vs_Amarseda_JustDragOver_001_FromSmartTab.png
    1718 x 806 - 297K
    edited December 1969

I forgot to mention that I often need to zero the x-y-z- translate sliders. then it finishes falling into place. that may be all you need to do!

edited December 1969

Estal Hair is going to be easy for this method. Because it is not long enough to even need to follow the neck, let alone the shoulders.

Throwing hair on G2F is not exactly the same as trying to 'Use' the hair in a scene with a posed figure. Unless it is super short like this. Thing is, I have three G2F styles in the smart tab just like this one, so it is a pointless attempt. Still, lets strike a pose, shall we, lol.

Just as I thought, to short to care what the pose is, perfect V4 style for G2F. Let me try this with something a tad longer...

LyEvie_vs_Estal_JustDragOver_fromCL_004_Posed.png
    1718 x 806 - 506K
    LyEvie_vs_Estal_JustDragOver_fromCL_003_AfterXYZtransits.png
    1718 x 806 - 305K
    edited December 1969

Here is another one. Shigi Hair. Now just going to zero on the transits, dose not quite do it. And in a pose, the movement adjust dials just explode when trying to get the tails out of the shoulder, and to something remotely mimicking movement.

The neck bones in the hair, need to be moved to mimic the rotation of the neck. Given that the hair is parented to the head, and not the hip, we know what will happen to the hair when I tray rotating neck bones.

LyEvie_vs_Shigi_JustDragOver_fromCL_005_PoseMorphs_NotQuite_NeedToMoveTheNeckBones.png
    1718 x 806 - 384K
    LyEvie_vs_Shigi_JustDragOver_fromCL_004_Pose_AndIntoSholders.png
    1718 x 806 - 450K
    LyEvie_vs_Shigi_JustDragOver_fromCL_003_BeterXYZ.png
    1718 x 806 - 381K
    LyEvie_vs_Shigi_JustDragOver_fromCL_002_JustSetToZero.png
    1718 x 806 - 316K
    LyEvie_vs_Shigi_JustDragOver_fromCL_001.png
    1718 x 806 - 350K
    edited March 2015

fussing around with the dials further, I did managed to get the hair to stop going almost straight out behind Evie. The dials that are beyond 100% tend to make things get out of size or supper stretched. So the viewing angles are somewhat limited depending of the severity of the pose.

Like high-heal shoes, it's hit or miss. The hair mostly because of the differences of sizes between them and, as with the shoes, some of the body rotations are drastically different.

Pleas don't think that I am upset or mad in any way over this. I figured I'd try it again, just encase something had changed between Studio 4.6 to 4.7 since my last attempt with the Amarseda hair on yahmin. The Auto-fit method didn't work then as it put the hair way to high on her forehead.

Some good did come from this experiment... Hello LY Evie, :coolhmm:

LyEvie_20150309_V4HairOnG2F_001002b.jpg
    1050 x 1400 - 613K
    LyEvie_20150309_V4HairOnG2F_001002.jpg
    1050 x 1400 - 613K
    LyEvie_vs_Shigi_JustDragOver_fromCL_006_PoseMorphs2_NotQuite_NeedToMoveTheNeckBones13.png
    1486 x 806 - 251K
    LyEvie_vs_Shigi_JustDragOver_fromCL_006_PoseMorphs2_NotQuite_NeedToMoveTheNeckBones2.png
    1486 x 806 - 278K
    LyEvie_vs_Shigi_JustDragOver_fromCL_005_PoseMorphs_NotQuite_NeedToMoveTheNeckBones2.png
    1718 x 806 - 347K