I need personalized skin and outfit for gen 2 female or aiko 6 !

edited December 1969 in The Commons

I really don't know if this is the right place to ask for this kind of service.
I'm a comic book artist.
I've made a comics character with I would love to do in 3D. Doing the character in Daz is ok but I 'm lacking the skin and the outfit for her. Does anyone here would be interested into meshing this ? Of course I can provide several pictures of the character I've drawn.

Comments

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,631
    edited March 2015

Hi!

You're probably better off learning to do it yourself. Making a custom outfit is a work of many hours (20 to 40 for me, usually) and will cost accordingly, assuming you can find someone who is both capable and willing to do it. I've never even heard someone say they do contract skins.

Post edited by SickleYield on
  • edited December 1969

Hi SickleYield,

Shame on me I've absolutely no skills in shaping 3D meshes !and have no time to learn to do it). I will pay for those kind of work for sure, and the guy who may do it should keeps rights to do what he wants with the model after that.

• MegonNoelMegonNoel Posts: 377
    edited December 1969

Just a thought - You might try going into the "Commons" section here and posting a few of the drawings of your character. Let people know you are trying to create a 3D version of her and ask for help finding the correct outfit and skin options. You may have to kitbash the outfit (taking parts from different outfits - shoes from one, a belt from another, a top from a third, etc.) but you can often get a good result from that method. There are a lot of people here in the forums who all shop at different sites and have looked at different things here in the store, so just because you haven't found the right match yet doesn't mean that someone else hasn't seen something that will work for you.

• edited December 1969

Hi MegonNoel,

I'll try this but even if the sum of outfits/skins here and there for Daz is huge, what I need is quite specific but not that sophisticated. See you in the Commons ;)

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Have moved this thread to the Commons because it was not a Commercial post by a PA so didn't belong in the Commercial forum.

• edited December 1969

thanx !

• edited December 1969

So here is the character on two pages for you to consider the outfit. Most difficult part is for the head I guess. In those picture you also can see the special skin I need for the character : totally black excepted for hands, feet and neck/head. If you have suggestions, please let them bellow ! :)

Cotes_MIRAGESN18dot.jpg
    1490 x 2000 - 295K
    Cotes_MIRAGESN1dot.jpg
    2000 x 1729 - 2M
  • DestinysGardenDestinysGarden Posts: 2,550
    edited December 1969

zoong said:
    Hi SickleYield,

Shame on me I've absolutely no skills in shaping 3D meshes !and have no time to learn to do it). I will pay for those kind of work for sure, and the guy who may do it should keeps rights to do what he wants with the model after that.

Hi zoong,
    First of all, welcome to the forums. Your comic looks really well presented, and the character looks quite unique.

Now, I am going to urge you consider the ramifications of allowing the modeler and texturer the rights to resell any custom work they do for you. Let's consider a hypothetical case and say Sickle has agreed to do your outfit and I have agreed to do your skin. You pay us, and then we put our items for brokerage in the DAZ store. That means that according to the DAZ EULA, anybody else on the planet could purchase those items, and use them in their commercial projects. Someone could use your original character in a movie and make a million dollars and you don't see a penny from it. 30 other people could use your original character in their webcomics, sell them for profit, or put your character in circumstances you might deem inappropriate, or acting in a way unbecoming to your original character's image. One of these projects could be become so popular, that your original comic could be seen as a copy of the more successful work. Are these scenarios likely? No, but they are definitely possible. Be absolutely certain you are OK with that before agreeing to any terms with the hired artist. If you decide you wish to retain the rights to your custom work and not allow the contracted artist resell rights, you have to pay them for their production time, for estimated earned income on release, and estimate residual sales. I would say you are looking at dollar amounts in the thousands for such work.

That said, I have a few ideas how you might be able to tackle the skin texture, but that will be next post.

• ZarconDeeGrissomZarconDeeGrissom Posts: 5,412
    edited March 2015

An Entelodont (or Daeodon?) - lion like mix, very nice idea, I like it. I myself would not like to be between two of them looking at me like that.

I am understandably curious how your character ended up there.

Post edited by ZarconDeeGrissom on
  • RuphussRuphuss Posts: 2,631
    edited December 1969

I think in 3D it will lose a lot of its painted charme

• ZamuelNowZamuelNow Posts: 753
    edited December 1969

zoong said:
    So here is the character on two pages for you to consider the outfit. Most difficult part is for the head I guess. In those picture you also can see the special skin I need for the character : totally black excepted for hands, feet and neck/head. If you have suggestions, please let them bellow ! :)

Intriguingly, I don't think the hair is all that hard. Fisty's Snood Hair is a pretty good approximation. The netting can be made invisible and it has a few morphs in it.

The specifics of the skin may take work but the idea isn't that complicated. Find two skins that you like with one representing the lighter parts of her body and one for the darker parts. Then you use an art program to smooth out the edges where they meet on her wrists and ankles. In theory this also applies to her neck based on your description but your image shows this covered up.

Weirdly enough, the staff and poncho may be the most difficult things to pull off. Doubly weird for the poncho since it's one of those relatively normal clothing items that never gets made. Though it's also been validly commented that your work already has charm to it.

edited December 1969

Zoong, I'm really intrigued by your comic. In just two pages you managed to give us a tremendous amount of information about your character and the world she lives in. You left us with a cliff hanger, and I wonder how she is going to get out the dangerous situation. That is quite a bit of good story telling in just a few images. Really well done.

OK, so on to the skin. I've got a couple options here.

Option 1, open up the skin texture you want to use in your 2D image editor and modify it. It is not difficult, but it can be time consuming, especially on the hands and feet due where the seams line up. All you would have to do is black out the non skin bits and resave the maps. Again, the only problems would be getting the correct transition on the hands and feet.

Option 2, use a DAZ Studio layered shader of some kind, and I would recommend UberSurface 2 as it has the best options for skin. US2 will let you put the base skin texture on the bottom layer, a black color on the top layer, and then you use a mask layer to determine how much of each one shows. See below for a screen shot showing what the mask would like and a final result. Not hard, but fiddly to get the seems to match on the mask layer if you are using a 2D paint program. If you are using a 3D paint program, the work time is considerably sped up.

Is the "black" skin a flat color, or is there supposed to be skin detail in it too? It looks like there is supposed to be skin texture, or maybe fur of some sort, so that would take a bit of working out to get it to render the best, but perfectly do-able.

I can picture one of the super hero hoods from super suit collection working well for the hood and cowl. Actually, the hood could be a part of the head texture and use one of the "ear gone" morphs. For the poncho and the scarf, the only things I can think of are the dynamic shapes like this set. http://www.daz3d.com/controllable-dynamic-shapes
    Here's a link to the snood hair, which does have a similar shape to your pictures.
    http://www.daz3d.com/snood-hair
    They would need to be custom textured.
    Best of luck with the projects.

skintest2.jpg
    1567 x 880 - 718K
  • Atticus BonesAtticus Bones Posts: 364
    edited March 2015

Ha! This is the bad cosplay version... Literally a 1 min mock-up just to get the idea, but it looks doable if you've got the time to spare.

test.jpg
    533 x 800 - 144K
    Post edited by Atticus Bones on
  • SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,631
    edited December 1969

Some good advice here! I'm amazed you'd want to go 3D when you're obviously so great at drawing, but folks have the right idea.

• cecilia.robinsoncecilia.robinson Posts: 2,208
    edited March 2015

I will help with the poncho: OptiTex has at least one. If you have Poser, Fabiana at Rendo has some shawls too. As for the skin... I think I might have an idea how to tackle that, but I must check it first.

DestinysGarden, in your technique, what should be done with bump maps?

Snood Hair is very good, but you might want to try to make an oval primitive and put it partially into the head.

Post edited by cecilia.robinson on
    edited December 1969

You can put the bump maps that come with the skin in the top layer of US2. That would at least give it some semblance of a texture.

• ZamuelNowZamuelNow Posts: 753
    edited December 1969

I will help with the poncho: OptiTex has at least one. If you have Poser, Fabiana at Rendo has some shawls too.

I thought Dynamic Clothing didn't work with Daz. I guess the next question is asking if Zoong uses Daz or Poser.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

ZamuelNow said:
    I will help with the poncho: OptiTex has at least one. If you have Poser, Fabiana at Rendo has some shawls too.

I thought Dynamic Clothing didn't work with Daz. I guess the next question is asking if Zoong uses Daz or Poser.

Poser dynamic clothing doesn't work, but there is a Daz Dynamic that is made by Optitex that does...but most of it is for older figures, so there are some fitting issues/complicated steps to fit it to the current Genesis figures.

• NoName99NoName99 Posts: 322
    edited December 1969

Your comic looks outstanding, as others have mentioned, it really does have a charm to it.

I could swear I saw a poncho on sharecg a few months ago, it might have been called something else though, like "hooded gown" or something along those lines.

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,349
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    ZamuelNow said:

Poser dynamic clothing doesn't work, but there is a Daz Dynamic that is made by Optitex that does...but most of it is for older figures, so there are some fitting issues/complicated steps to fit it to the current Genesis figures.

Dynamic clothing fits any figure fairly well, so the fact that it was designed for old figures is not so relevant as with conforming clothing. I fitted dynamic clothes designed for generation 3 Luke onto an adult sized M6 character, and it fitted perfectly.

• edited December 1969

Whoot ! I let the week-end passed by and here is so many contributions ! I'm amazed and have to thank you all for your interest int this little project of mine !
    DestinysGarden, I've well read your first post about right and so on. After going back to my publisher contract I' don't have right to sell any part/design of the character to someone else. So it's clear an can't let go a design done by someone else without a contract telling the designer have no right to sell or make anything with his work for me... That's it. And I was thinking I have to postpone the project for a long time as I can't afford a paid work on thousand dollars. :-/

And then all those contributions and good words of you all ! It make me think I may be able to do something by myself, with the right tools. I "play" with Daz 3D (as I can't think of myself as a pro user of it) I have notions of shaders but I lack a lot of knowledges about outfits and how it works in Daz. This is to me the bad an good thing at once for this kind of software that seems to work well by itself without any expertise.

Some personal responses :

zarcondeegrissom : Most likely It's more a mix of lion and Hyaenodon. the Entelodon have really different legs and the head shape is quite specific. Anyway thank you for your words. How will it end ? With the help of someone else, Huge enough to make the two predators flee. I know the answer make it more mysterious than before. ;)

ruphuss : I won't try to have the same render in 3d. It's almost impossible. But a mix of 3D and 2D work may result in a different aesthetic that could work.

ZamuelNow : The snood hair preview is not bad. I don't know how the morph possibilities of this model can fit the shape I need. And I agree about the staff this is a personal design, I won't have any chance to find it premade.

DestinysGarden : about the skin : your first option seems to be the easiest way to try something. I would like something not in the realistic way but with a 3D comics feeling like a lot of aiko skin you may know. The black part have nothing special but smooth reflexion. no grain, nothing else. Thank you on your comment about storytelling. this is a professional work and I hope It will tell the story well. :)

Atticus Bones : One minute cosplay ? Well this isn't bad ! Well done ! I'm curious about the mesh you used.

SickleYield : In fact I continue to experiment as a graphic artist, 3D is something I don't manage well right now, but going on with 3D character may give me "one more arrow to my bow", who knows.

cecilia.robinson, mjc1016, Havos : No I don't use poser. I prefer the Daz 3D interface. Doing a primitive shape for the hair part will be really too approximative. What is this dynamic clothing you speak about ? Do I really need this ?

dinopt : thank you I'll look forward.

Thanx again for all your contributions. I'll go back later.

• cecilia.robinsoncecilia.robinson Posts: 2,208
    edited December 1969

Hi, Zoong, nice to hear from you again!

First, your question about dynamic clothing. It is a type of 3D clothes able of draping themselves on the model, so they are perfect for capes, long, flowing dresses, tulwar pants and such. DS only supports its own kind of dynamics made by OptiTex and MartinJ Frost. Poser has its own system of dynamics - the two apps aren't compatible in this matter.

Here is OptiTex's site where a poncho or two can be found: http://www.optitex-dynamiccloth.com/. Some outfits (freebies!) resembling your ensemble are here:
    http://www.optitex-dynamiccloth.com/FreebieDownload02.php
    http://www.optitex-dynamiccloth.com/FreebieDownload06.php
    http://www.optitex-dynamiccloth.com/FreebieDownload08.php

As for the primitive, I thought to do this:
    1) create an oval primitive
    2) move it into position where it protrudes from the back of the head
    3) colour it black through a diffuse channel
    4) load a skullcap hair onto your figure

And my texture solution: have a pale skin, colour the parts you want to be black through the proper diffuse channels, then using the excellent seam guides from SnowSultan, take the limbs map into MS Paint and use the aerograph tool to add the trimmings just where the outermost channel ends - this way, your textures should appear to be blending.