expression sets with no thumbnails >.

MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
edited March 2015 in The Commons

i'm not buying any more of those. can't sit there all day blindly trying every slider

seriously? how can i go by smile1, smile 2

might as well dial it manually.
or slide it rather

Post edited by Mistara on

Comments

• ZarconDeeGrissomZarconDeeGrissom Posts: 5,412
    edited December 1969

i'm not buying any more of those. can't sit there all day blindly trying every slider

seriously? how can i go by smile1, smile 2

might as well dial it manually.
    or slide it rather

"O" do I dislike that, when there no indication of what one is what. I'm guessing the Promos are not labeled either?
  • Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,151
    edited December 1969

There's no mention of which products, but I know that Cake One includes an image on the smiles in her packages for the dials which is what I use to guide my choices.

edited March 2015

There's no mention of which products, but I know that Cake One includes an image on the smiles in her packages for the dials which is what I use to guide my choices.
    considering I don't have any of those, I probably just picked up at least one of the 'suspects'. :coolhmm:

It's been a long day looking for G2F dreadlocks that can be moved behind the shoulders, not just always in front. I'll look into the expression packs I just got, after some rest.

Post edited by ZarconDeeGrissom on
  • RuphussRuphuss Posts: 2,631
    edited December 1969

for me there are a lot of thumbnails lost since 4.7
    don't know why

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited December 1969

considering I don't have any of those, I probably just picked up at least one of the 'suspects'. :coolhmm:

It's been a long day looking for G2F dreadlocks that can be moved behind the shoulders, not just always in front. I'll look into the expression packs I just got, after some rest.

:lol:

gave up on that, there's no dancer's hair in the store. even the new dancer poses promo has gravity-less hair. she's dancing so fast g-force is shalacked her hair

• ZamuelNowZamuelNow Posts: 753
    edited December 1969

Poor promos is a problem I've had a lot of vendors. It's like they're trying to do a singular pretty statue and either ignoring that people may need more or deliberately hiding the weaknesses of their product. On the flip side, I value vendors who do good promos.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

ruphuss said:
    for me there are a lot of thumbnails lost since 4.7
    don't know why

Lost from the Parameters pane sliders, Smart Content, Content Library > DS/Poser Formats, Content Library > Products/Categories?

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,804
    edited March 2015

Looking at everything I've picked up, it seems that thumbnails for expressions on the slider bar are the exception rather than the norm. At least, there are no .pngs listed for most of them when I check out the installed files using DIM. Tried to double check with the documentation, but that part of the website seems to be down again.

Post edited by Cybersox on
  • TaozTaoz Posts: 9,787
    edited December 1969

ZamuelNow said:
    Poor promos is a problem I've had a lot of vendors. It's like they're trying to do a singular pretty statue and either ignoring that people may need more or deliberately hiding the weaknesses of their product. On the flip side, I value vendors who do good promos.

A common problem is not showing the backside of the item. Wonder how these promos make it through DAZ QA.

edited December 1969

Taozen said:
    ZamuelNow said:

A common problem is not showing the backside of the item. Wonder how these promos make it through DAZ QA.
    Well, the point is to make the product look attractive, not to point out any potential flaws. I've always got the impression that the DAZ mandate is for Pretty Image first, and if they forget to show the shoes that come with an outfit, so be it.

edited December 1969

Taozen said:
    ZamuelNow said:

Well, the point is to make the product look attractive, not to point out any potential flaws. I've always got the impression that the DAZ mandate is for Pretty Image first, and if they forget to show the shoes that come with an outfit, so be it.

Sometimes though the promos don't do a product justice. I recall a hair I didn't buy because it didn't look very good on the promos, a while later I saw a hair used on a promo for another product that I thought looked really great and wanted to purchase it, only to discover that it was actually the same hair.

Sometimes I've also been uncertain about purchasing a product because it didn't look particularly good on the promos, but then purchased it anyway and got a pleasant surprise.

edited December 1969

Yeah, there's a lot of promos that outright hurt their product. Plus, if a promo looks dishonest in what it does or doesn't show, I'll opt not to buy. In all fairness, I think most vendors make poor promos on accident, as opposed to malevolence but some have bad habits.

edited December 1969

Taozen said:
    Taozen said:
    ZamuelNow said:

Sometimes though the promos don't do a product justice. I recall a hair I didn't buy because it didn't look very good on the promos, a while later I saw a hair used on a promo for another product that I thought looked really great and wanted to purchase it, only to discover that it was actually the same hair.

Sometimes I've also been uncertain about purchasing a product because it didn't look particularly good on the promos, but then purchased it anyway and got a pleasant surprise. I have certain misgivings about hair. Especially the two-inch-long links around the neck region. It's like impossible to get hair to flow smoothly on generation6, without it looking like it is made out of links? lol.

I have many other gripes, tho they all come back to forcing generation4 mesh and rigging onto generation6 without any touch-up work to smooth out the folded polygons, or correct the XYZ rotations that differ between them. And don't get me started on the Poser only mats, that are just expected to function in Studio, they don't even speak the same language in the surface properties window/tab.

edited December 1969

Taozen said:
    Taozen said:
    ZamuelNow said:

That's what I was saying. It's a pretty picture, but it often isn't focused on the actual product. Rendo goes in the opposite direction with pictures that are 100% about the product and far less emphasis on artistry. Personally, I far prefer that approach, as when I buy a character from Rendo, I know exactly how all the eye colors, lip colors, etc. will look, and usually what the full figure looks like from both front and back san clothing.

Sometimes I've also been uncertain about purchasing a product because it didn't look particularly good on the promos, but then purchased it anyway and got a pleasant surprise.

And a lot of that, I think, has to do with the fact that DAZ has a generic "look" they tend to gravitate towards, but at the same time they seem to be pretty thrifty when it comes to paying for renders. That's an environment that tends to favor a cookie-cutter approach to promo art, which becomes much more pronounced when dealing with things like hair.

edited December 1969

Rendo goes in the opposite direction with pictures that are 100% about the product and far less emphasis on artistry.

Erm, I disagree with that a lot unless that was meant to be a specific Daz Original vs RPublishing comparison. Even then, it still has a LOT to do with individual vendors.

edited March 2015

Taozen said:
    Taozen said:
    ZamuelNow said:

That's what I was saying. It's a pretty picture, but it often isn't focused on the actual product.

Well OK, but to me it's not a pretty image if the product looks bad, and a better lighting or whatever could make it look better. But I get your point. :)

And a lot of that, I think, has to do with the fact that DAZ has a generic "look" they tend to gravitate towards, but at the same time they seem to be pretty thrifty when it comes to paying for renders. That's an environment that tends to favor a cookie-cutter approach to promo art, which becomes much more pronounced when dealing with things like hair.

I was not talking specifically about DAZ here, more in general, but I agree somewhat about the cookie-cutter approach. I think though that from a business perspective a consistent look is a good thing. The worst promo's I've seen have not been at DAZ , but in other stores with less consistency in promo quality.

Post edited by Taoz on