Import of .obj exports from Sketchup 2015 - odd shading/texturing

hacsarthacsart Posts: 2,025
edited December 1969 in Technical Help (nuts n bolts)

Occasionally when importing a mesh as .obj from Sketchup, I get this as a result - the shading looks well.. odd.. and renders after appying a shader still look off.. Does anyone have any insight into what the problem is, an how to correct it? The same thing happens even after importing the .obj into Bryce and re-exporting.. and its not with every model exported from Sketchup, either..

Thanks

sketchup_import.jpg
1200 x 750 - 138K

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,992
    edited December 1969

Can you tell if the item has normals set in Sketchup? If you look in the OBJ, are there lines tarting vn? If you do have vn lines try selecting them and deleting them before importing.

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449
    edited December 1969

SketchUp is a lousy modeling program so the model probably has some seriously jacked-up topology. Post a close-up around one of the doors in wire shaded display option.

• hacsarthacsart Posts: 2,025
    edited December 1969

Yeah.. I know Sketchup is not the optimal tool, but sometimes its the only way to get a model that isn't being flogged at astronomical prices elsewhere..

sketchup_import2.jpg
    1200 x 750 - 274K
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

There's many things it could be, in addition to the normals...not welded seams, duplicate vertices/faces, n-gons, poor triangle distribution leading to bad smoothing...and more.

I've never had a SketcchUp model export 'clean' or import into DS 'clean', they've always needed some amount of work in a dedicated modeling program, like Blender or Hexagon.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,992
    edited December 1969

Try selecting the materials for the body work and adjust the smoothing angle down a bit - but not too much or you will see the facets of the mesh. It looks to me as if the edges of the doors and their recesses are being smooth shaded, usually the fix would be to bevel them but adjusting the smoothing angle to exclude those edges while leaving the more gently curved surfaces may work.

• hacsarthacsart Posts: 2,025
    edited December 1969

Thanks- will give it a try.. although I suspect the ultimate cure is finding a better base model...
    Cheers!