Say You're Stuck on a 3D Rendering Island (bear with me)

404nicg404nicg Posts: 270
edited December 1969 in The Commons

And from that point forward you can only use figures from one generation for your renders:

G4 (V4/M4) , G5(genesis), or G6 (genesis 2 male/genesis 2 female)

Which generation do you stick with and why?

Comments

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited December 1969

There are a few non human characters that make G5 a temptation but if I can only pick one it would be G6. I just find it easier to work with overall.

• 404nicg404nicg Posts: 270
    edited December 1969

Khory said:
    There are a few non human characters that make G5 a temptation but if I can only pick one it would be G6. I just find it easier to work with overall.

Really? I've been debating with myself on whether or not to make the plunge into G6 after recently getting so vested in G5...what are the most visible/helpful improvements with G6 in your opinion?

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited December 1969

I think it bends somewhat better and is a bit easier to pose. Of course it all depends on what you render most of the time. If it is non human but still humanoid characters then G5 seems to be the clear leader there. If you do human images, especially close up portraits, then the hd morphs for g6 are pretty wonderful. G6 is going to take the lead on clothing as well since the content creators have an easier time working with a true male or true female figure rather than the base that was neither.

You can always dip a toe in the water for free with the male and female are free. And as a bonus most of the G5 clothing you have will fit pretty darn well on g6. Also pretty sure that the g5 uv comes with those bases so you would be able to use and character textures you already have on them.

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited March 2015

I'm in the Genesis 2 group as well. It took me a while to warm up to them, due to their initial rigidness, but now that there are so many great morphs for them I rarely use anything else anyway. Of course, I'd miss Sadie if I couldn't use anything else. I really do love my Sadie and Sam figures.

I think the biggest improvement for me in Genesis 2 was the face. The original Genesis face was rather low poly, and suffered for it. Facial expressions felt far more limited and my best attempts to create a half-decent smile always felt hollow. With Genesis 2 however, not only is there plenty of extra geometry to work with, but also an additional jaw bone, allowing you to create expressions and movements that were impossible with the previous generation without extreme morphs.

Since expressions are really the soul of a good image, this was a big step forward for me and ultimately the reason I made a permanent switch once Zev0 released Growing Up.

Post edited by Herald of Fire on
  • TaozTaoz Posts: 9,879
    edited March 2015

404nicg said:
    And from that point forward you can only use figures from one generation for your renders:

G4 (V4/M4) , G5(genesis), or G6 (genesis 2 male/genesis 2 female)

Which generation do you stick with and why?

If I was stuck on an island I wouldn't want to have a bear with me... lol

Anyway, one of the things I like about the Genesis figures is that auto-conform of clothing works very well (at least if the clothing is well made), which is very handy with animations. With this one you just have to adjust a slight poke-through on a couple of frames, the rest takes care of itself.
    --

run1b.gif
    460 x 596 - 866K
    run1a.gif
    460 x 596 - 818K
    Post edited by Taoz on
  • FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,749
    edited December 1969

Only one figure? Genesis 1 versatile and can use most older content

But if not limited, which is the case: Genesis2Male & Genesis2Female for the sheer functionality.

• Steven-VSteven-V Posts: 727
    edited December 1969

I came into DAZ just as Gen 6 was coming online and so I never used the Gen 4 stuff much (although I did get V4.2 when she was on sale-- but I have almost never used her). I think because you can use a lot of the clothing for G4 and G5 with G6, I would probably go with G6.

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,349
    edited December 1969

If I had GenX with me on the desert island, then it is a non-brainer, gen 6, as I can move all my morphs from the other characters, including beasts over to gen 6 (assuming they are available). The only problem would be with creatures with non standard uvs, as their skins can not be used on Gen 6. With Minotaur/Reptiles/Creature Creator etc, there are quite a lot of non human characters you can build directly in G6 these days.

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,970
    edited December 1969

Only one figure? Genesis 1 versatile and can use most older content

But if not limited, which is the case: Genesis2Male & Genesis2Female for the sheer functionality.

Pretty much what I would have said :)

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,631
    edited December 1969

I'm a maker of content. I'm always going to go with the latest incarnation of the tech that provides the best functionality - the most extremity bones, the best bending, the easiest to rig - and in this case that's Genesis 2. Then I can make my own desert island outfits for them with Figure Setup, and they can have all of the bones and layered JCM I've ever wanted. ;) Also, I'm a fan of sexy male renders when I get the chance to do recreational rendering, and with all the spare time I have from scratching HELP in the sand, fishing, and building a salt-water evaporator from banana leaves and twigs, I'm going to be doing a lot of recreational rendering. Genesis 2 Male is so much better than Michael 4 that there's no comparison as far as I'm concerned. Genesis 1 is a good figure, but it's definitely an intermediate between the two levels and it shows in the shoulders, hands and thighs. Not just on contortions, but on regular walking and sitting and gesturing.

(I'll probably need to build some kind of banana leaf-based active cooling system for my island rendering machines, too.)

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167
    edited December 1969

1) Elvis Presley: The Complete Comeback Recordings (with liner notes from His Holiness Col. Sanders)

2) Coconuts (you can milk them somehow)

3) When you say one Gen of figures do you get all the content associated with them or just the raw textureless figures?

4) Blender (both software and for blending coconuts with album vinyl into a nutritious island drink... and rum, plenty of rum)

5) if you were stuck on the island wouldn't you want to build shelter and find food? Were you shipwrecked there? Are there others relying on your rendering skills for survival or would they be understandably miffed you are concocting a scene while they are sharpening sticks to protect themselves from polar bears and mutated coconuts?

6) where did you get electricity from and what are your computer specs?

7) A copy of the King James Bible hollowed out with a copy of P.D. Eastmans "Are you my defense attorney?" inside

8) How to Obtain a Black Belt in Marshall Arts Over the Weekend - by Elvis Presley

9) A volleyball (with a wig and some lipstick)

10) The complete first season of "the Courtship of Eddie's Father.in Blu Ray but from 72 dpi source video tape.

• SpitSpit Posts: 2,342
    edited December 1969

Well, to tell the truth, I'd stick with plain Genesis because Mavka is there and it's kinda fun to use only one base and get everybody, male and female included. I mean each of Nursoda's 'human' male/female pairs uses one mesh. If that's good enough for him, well. ;) Since I'm not into big booblies or nekkid bends the extra benefits of Genesis 2 aren't as important to me. That said I've still gotten most of the G2 figures as well as tons of morphs, poses, clothes, etc. Sigh. And there are as well some nifty third party characters that look good. So, in the end I'm glad I have both. But I still love Michael 4 so what do I know.

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,340
    edited December 1969

If we're strictly speaking of realistic human characters, then it would be an easy choice: Genesis 2 (because of the more detailed facial mesh and better bends and expressions). But Genesis is still my figure of choice for anime and toon characters as well as nonhuman creatures, so if I had to pick one generation I might choose Genesis as it still offers me the most versatility.

To a large extent that's based on what I have purchased though; if one's own order history were not a factor, then I'd definitely want the latest generation.

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,898
    edited December 1969

I loved working with Aiko3 but I have put her back in her runtime for good. I would choose Genesis 2 and nothing less. I can do so much more with G2 and easily then with any other figure. The unlimited morph mixing gives you the best range of characters out there