Blockey... blockie... blocks in renders

spearcarrierspearcarrier Posts: 686
edited December 1969 in The Commons

After two long dayyysss... okay 12 hours... I rendered a scene I'm kind of proud of. Or I could be, except my Genesis figure is kind of blocky.

I've seen this on other items in scenes, but that's always fixeable by turning them into subd. I can't do that with the figure, obviously.

I'm not sure where to even begin looking to find the source of the problem.

Ideas? Thanks.

wut.jpg
648 x 659 - 211K

Comments

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited December 1969

After two long dayyysss... okay 12 hours... I rendered a scene I'm kind of proud of. Or I could be, except my Genesis figure is kind of blocky.

I've seen this on other items in scenes, but that's always fixeable by turning them into subd. I can't do that with the figure, obviously.

I'm not sure where to even begin looking to find the source of the problem.

Ideas? Thanks.

Shadow maps, or ray traced shadows?
  • spearcarrierspearcarrier Posts: 686
    edited December 1969

Ray traced. I usually go ray traced, cuz my computer is near its death bed. LOL

• Testing6790Testing6790 Posts: 1,091
    edited March 2015

I'm 95% sure that ray-tracing is the higher-demand shadow option.

That being said, you get square artefacts sometimes when mixing shadow maps and ray-tracing. Though mine are usually blue.

That could be fixed really easily in photoshop, though.

Post edited by Testing6790 on
    edited December 1969

Hrm!

Well I'm not mixing to the best of my knowledge. I'll switch the shadows to deep shadow and see what happens, but I won't know until tomorrow. I'm pretty sure the surfaces themselves have raytracing set in them, though, as default. I usually leave that alone, but with me using the shadows as ray trace as well it shouldn't have been a problem? Time to poke at it.. well, after work anyway.

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited December 1969

Ray traced. I usually go ray traced, cuz my computer is near its death bed. LOL
    And you said you used Sub-D on something, What did you Sub-D?
    edited December 1969

No, what I meant was if say her clothing did that I know that I could use sub-d on it and the problem would go away as it would smooth out and the blocks would seem to vanish. But you can't sub-d a Genesis figture.