Looking for a good ale/beer shader.

crifmer_a3ace2ba16crifmer_a3ace2ba16 Posts: 37
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Hi guys!

Apologies if this is the wrong forum to ask this.

I"m still getting the hang of shaders, so I'm still tweaking the stuff I have rather than creating my own.

I'm looking for a good shader recipe for beer and/or ale. Specifically a nice golden ale one might find in the archtypical fantasy tavern. I"m not terribly happy with what I'm producing thus far, but it'll do for now. Mainly I'm taking a liquid shader I already have (for slime, I think, or blood) and tweaking the color. I don't really know how to change the consistancy to make it appear thinner/thicker, milky, clear, reflective, etc.

I'm not really looking for a tutorial, just a good "here, do this" recipe that I can plug in. I've got a few tutorials that I'll slog through in the near future when I'm ready to roll up my sleeves and tackle this topic.

Thanks for the help, guys. I'm starting to render stuff and having fun playing with Daz. I'll have something to show soon - doing a webcomic with this.

-C

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Two things that you won't be able to do with a simple surface shader...the bubbles and the head. You'll need to do something with a volume shader for those.

Also, using the correct IOR will go a long way to making the liquid look more correct...so with what you've already got what are your options for IOR?

I can't think of anything right off the top of my head, already made.

• crifmer_a3ace2ba16crifmer_a3ace2ba16 Posts: 37
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    Two things that you won't be able to do with a simple surface shader...the bubbles and the head. You'll need to do something with a volume shader for those.

Also, using the correct IOR will go a long way to making the liquid look more correct...so with what you've already got what are your options for IOR?

I can't think of anything right off the top of my head, already made.

So this should give you a good example of just how much I don't know and why I'm looking for just something I can plug in...

My reply: "huh?" :)

Is there such a thing as a volume shader in the shader mixer for Daz3D? And I have no idea what IOR is. Basically, my experience with surfaces thus far has been to apply a shader/material and change the color and opacity. Oh, and tiling images. I can tile and move images on the surface. That's pretty much it, unfortunately.

Right now I'm just applying the materials from the Liquid Pack and semi-blindly manipulating settings to see what happens.

Luckily, I'm not looking for photo-realistic, just something good enough to evoke "this is a beer."

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

In that case, grab this pack

http://blackraven3d.com/sponsored/fisty/freebies/FistyLiquidShadersUpdated.zip (it was a Christmas freebie, a couple of years ago from Fisty)

Use the White Wine setting and adjust the color to a more amber shade.

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,047
    edited December 1969

Index Of Refraction (IOR): Index Of Refraction (IOR) is about the way that light passes through different types of materials… diamond, glass, water etc. When a light ray travels through the same volume it follows a straight path. However if it passes from one transparent volume to another, it bends. This is why a straw in water looks bent. The amount of bending differs between materials. The angle by which the ray is bent can be determined by knowing two things: the angle at which the incoming ray has been cast and the Index of Refraction. This IOR value is unique for every material. Glass has an IOR of about 1.5 and water 1.3. By increasing the IOR value for a material, you can control how much the environment behind the transparent object is distorted, and thus improving the realism of the shader.(from Kerkythea Basics manual)

Back a couple of years ago I put together a glossary for people new to 3D... When the site changed over to the new software they renamed it and or relocated it... Some of the links are dead and certain DAZ site related info is outdated, but for the most part most of the stuff is still relevant... If you can get past my lighthearted writing style...
    It can be found here:
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/46/

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,970
    edited December 1969

I'd like to offer to do some in-depth analysis and investigation for you ... I may be some time ;)

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

SimonJM said:
    I'd like to offer to do some in-depth analysis and investigation for you ... I may be some time ;)

His route back to the forums way be a litlte wandering and indirect, depending on how much investigation he does hic! :coolgrin:

• crifmer_a3ace2ba16crifmer_a3ace2ba16 Posts: 37
    edited December 1969

Thanks everyone for the help. I've got a lot of reading to do. :)

That white wine quick fix I think is what I'm looking for, for now. I don't need a super realistic rendering, just good enough to let people know that there's beer in those tankards... I'll figure out the carbonation/head eventually. That much realism I do want as it makes for nice visuals, having the foam running over the side of the tankard and such. I'm only proficient enough with Photoshop to do layout and a bit of graphic design. Not quite so much with any real post-render effects like smoke, weather, foam, lights, explosions, etc. I'm looking to do as much as possible within Daz3D.

Thanks again! Hopefully I'll have something up soon. I want to build up a healthy buffer before I start posting the webcomic.

• caravellecaravelle Posts: 2,419
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    In that case, grab this pack

http://blackraven3d.com/sponsored/fisty/freebies/FistyLiquidShadersUpdated.zip (it was a Christmas freebie, a couple of years ago from Fisty)

Use the White Wine setting and adjust the color to a more amber shade.

Maybe the best liquid shaders I know. This lady knows a lot about textures and surfaces!