REALITY 4 and REQUIREMENTS or LUXUS? Cheaper?

Viper016Viper016 Posts: 158
edited March 2015 in The Commons

Can my 2012 Samsung Laptop Run Reality 4 via Daz Studio 4.7 Pro?
Specs
------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 3/11/2015, 22:24:22
Machine name: SEVIONUS-PC
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.150202-1526)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS CO., LTD.
System Model: 300E4C/300E5C/300E7C
BIOS: Phoenix BIOS SC-T v2.2 P03RAC
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3210M CPU @ 2.50GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.5GHz
Memory: 6144MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 5926MB RAM
Page File: 3215MB used, 8633MB available
Windows Dir: C:\windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 64bit Unicode

------------
DxDiag Notes
------------
Display Tab 1: No problems found.
Sound Tab 1: No problems found.
Input Tab: No problems found.

--------------------
DirectX Debug Levels
--------------------
Direct3D: 0/4 (retail)
DirectDraw: 0/4 (retail)
DirectInput: 0/5 (retail)
DirectMusic: 0/5 (retail)
DirectPlay: 0/9 (retail)
DirectSound: 0/5 (retail)
DirectShow: 0/6 (retail)

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000
Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
Chip type: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
DAC type: Internal
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_8086&DEV;_0166&SUBSYS;_C652144D&REV;_09
Display Memory: 1696 MB
Dedicated Memory: 64 MB
Shared Memory: 1632 MB
Current Mode: 1366 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
Monitor Model: unknown
Monitor Id: CMO15A3
Native Mode: 1366 x 768(p) (60.046Hz)
Output Type: Internal
Driver Name: igdumdim64.dll,igd10iumd64.dll,igd10iumd64.dll,igdumdim32,igd10iumd32,igd10iumd32
Driver File Version: 9.18.0010.3257 (English)
Driver Version: 9.18.10.3257
DDI Version: 11
Driver Model: WDDM 1.1
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 7/29/2013 21:28:52, 8653312 bytes
WHQL Logo'd: Yes
WHQL Date Stamp:
Device Identifier: {D7B78E66-4226-11CF-447B-58E6B4C2C435}
Vendor ID: 0x8086
Device ID: 0x0166
SubSys ID: 0xC652144D
Revision ID: 0x0009

Post edited by Viper016 on

Comments

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

If you can run Daz Studio, you can pretty much run Reality and Luxus. It uses CPU rendering anyway, so the only real stumbling block is your RAM. I'd recommend a minimum of 8Gb RAM for running it at a decent level. You can make most scenes with that, but for more complex stuff you really want to aim for 16Gb or higher.

• Viper016Viper016 Posts: 158
    edited December 1969

If you can run Daz Studio, you can pretty much run Reality and Luxus. It uses CPU rendering anyway, so the only real stumbling block is your RAM. I'd recommend a minimum of 8Gb RAM for running it at a decent level. You can make most scenes with that, but for more complex stuff you really want to aim for 16Gb or higher.

That's the sad part.
    6GB ram locked on a Intel intergraded graphics laptop.

edited December 1969

Also which should I get of I do really want to use LuxRender
    19.00 luxus or 49.99 reality4?

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

Luxus can do the most, but is aimed at advanced users really. It gives you the 'behind the scenes' values to tinker, so if you're new to Luxrender it can be a lot to take in. Reality 4 is designed more for the end-user, but as a result there are certain features it simplifies so you don't have quite the same level of control. That being said, the latest incarnation of Reality is still very solidly built and includes all the major material options and even a nice easy procedural shader setting.

Reality 4 is the more expensive of the two, but that's because it also has the better conversions. Both will automatically convert all Daz Studio materials into Luxrender ones, but Paolo has painstakingly put effort into ensuring that R4 will give you the best automatic results possible. R4 runs a separate window to Daz Studio, so there may be a bit of back-and-forth between screens to select surfaces to change. Luxus is integrated into the DS interface, so it's as easy as working on your surface materials.

Both have their Pro's and Cons, so it's hard suggest one over the other. I own both, and I use both for different things. Reality 4 is well worth the extra cost if you're new to the game though.

edited December 1969

Thank you so much for assisting me buddy.
    I'm going to hold off until I really can figure out what I should do.

I bet either way my R4/LUXUS renders would take 3hours just show up dirty! with this old laptop n whatnot...
    but I'm nowhere close to having the money for a new high-end laptop atm.

• tl155180tl155180 Posts: 994
    edited December 1969

Is there any need for Reality 4 or Luxus anymore? The next version of Daz Studio (4.8) will ship with its own free unbiased render engine, right (Iray)? Feels like those 2 products have just become obsolete.

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,646
    edited December 1969

Many people who use Reality may continue to use it, because they have 4 years of knowledge, use, and exprience with it, and the results show up in the renders. So not obsolete, just another tool in the drawer. Iray is definitely a major upgrade in DAZ Studio's functionality, even with the learning curve, but new user should focus on it.

edited December 1969

Many people who use Reality may continue to use it, because they have 4 years of knowledge, use, and exprience with it, and the results show up in the renders. So not obsolete, just another tool in the drawer. Iray is definitely a major upgrade in DAZ Studio's functionality, even with the learning curve, but new user should focus on it.

Thanks FirstBastion, I wasn't sure what to think but this clears it up for me. (Love your products, by the way).

edited December 1969

tl155180 said:
    Is there any need for Reality 4 or Luxus anymore? The next version of Daz Studio (4.8) will ship with its own free unbiased render engine, right (Iray)? Feels like those 2 products have just become obsolete.

Iradium/Iray is for High-End NVIDIA graphics card setups user only and is faster than LuxRender but not even close to Octane.
    LuxRender(Reality/LUXUS) is for any setup within ram etc requirements, no exclusivity.
    Octane is once again only for high-end INVIDIA Graphics card setups and is the fastest realistic rednerer for Daz/Poser ever.

I been reading around the net a bit, its not 100% accurate info but pretty spot on I might say so myself.

my laptop is all low-end 2012 Intel crap... lol

• RenpatsuRenpatsu Posts: 828
    edited December 1969

Viper016 said:
    Iradium/Iray is for High-End NVIDIA graphics card setups user only ...

Iray works quite fine using the CPU only. Of course slower than rendering with applicable GPUs, but it is a decent rendering speed. I use it on my Mac Book Pro with Radeon chip. Trying Iray is at least worth a shot and doesn't cost anything for the base capabilities.

• Steven-VSteven-V Posts: 727
    edited December 1969

tl155180 said:

You know, I just bought Reality 4 during the sale and right after it my new laptop arrived, so I haven't even installed/used it yet. I was thinking this same thing. And then I thought, heck, I'll keep it. As some have said below your post, it's nice to have options. If I can't get what I want out of one renderer, it's nice to have others to try. To me it's worth the $29 I paid to get R4 on sale to have the option.

I'd get Octane too, for even more options, if it weren't so freaking expensive.

edited December 1969

Renpatsu said:
    Viper016 said:
    Iradium/Iray is for High-End NVIDIA graphics card setups user only ...

Iray works quite fine using the CPU only. Of course slower than rendering with applicable GPUs, but it is a decent rendering speed. I use it on my Mac Book Pro with Radeon chip. Trying Iray is at least worth a shot and doesn't cost anything for the base capabilities.

Well I be damned, it kinda works on my old low-end intel integrated graphics based laptop
    problem I can't load my old duf file scenes into daz 4.8 from daz 4.7
    and my directories are blank when I click on them
    i can only load from smart content tab

edited December 1969

tl155180 said:

You know, I just bought Reality 4 during the sale and right after it my new laptop arrived, so I haven't even installed/used it yet. I was thinking this same thing. And then I thought, heck, I'll keep it. As some have said below your post, it's nice to have options. If I can't get what I want out of one renderer, it's nice to have others to try. To me it's worth the $29 I paid to get R4 on sale to have the option.

I'd get Octane too, for even more options, if it weren't so freaking expensive.

Yeah options are always nice. Personally I'm trying to keep my costs down though, cos I've already spent a fortune on Daz products so far this year with all these tempting sales, so if I don't absolutely 'need' Reality to make unbiased renders (as now I can use Iray), then I'd rather not shell out for it.

edited December 1969

I have no idea whats going on in this beta lmao xD

• OstadanOstadan Posts: 1,123
    edited December 1969

I love the feature in Lux (either Reality or Luxus) whereby one can adjust the lights during the render. See how much that fill light is contributing, and how bright it should be, without endless re-renders. When Iray does that, I may stop using Lux, but certainly not before.