Tutorial on Displacement Mapping For A Character

TercelTercel Posts: 101
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I'm looking for a good tutorial - free or paid - on how to create a displacement map for a character using Photoshop or Jasc Paint Shop Pro, and then with directions on how I'd plug my image map into the Poser material room to get the desired effect, what I'm specifically looking for it for is to create raised skin in sections on a character, and while I've seen plenty on displacement maps, and character textures separately, I'm still missing the thing that ties these two areas together.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 98,061
    edited December 1969

There's no secret - just paint the areas you want raised white, the areas you want flat black, and use sahdes of grey for in-between. Then put the map in an image brick and connect it to displacement.

• TercelTercel Posts: 101
    edited December 1969

There's no secret - just paint the areas you want raised white, the areas you want flat black, and use sahdes of grey for in-between. Then put the map in an image brick and connect it to displacement.

So, would I be painting directly on the greyscale bump map that comes with the texture? And truthfully I'm not sure of what an image brick is.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 98,061
    edited December 1969

Justs tart with a blank map, using the template as an overlay (or underlay) so you can see what you are doing. It's just like painting a texture, except you are painting height not colour, so the usual techniques would be applicable.