No images in smart library

OrcaSoulOrcaSoul Posts: 119
edited March 2015 in The Commons

I can see the products listed, but none of them have an image - and when I try to load they can't find the content.

I checked, cms is running. The content library also has no content, but does list items.

I used DIM to uninstall everything, then downloaded and installed everything - so DS should be the current version.

All the paths set in DIM are valid and the file are sent to the correct folders.

Tried again, no change.

How can DS know what the products & files are, and yet not find the content?

I am using Win 7 64 on a PC.

Post edited by OrcaSoul on

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited March 2015

OrcaSoul said:

Corrupted database...very often caused by installing something with Studio running.

If you are using custom categories or self-made metadata then exporting user data needs to be done, before reimporting the data. The usual fix is NOT reinstalling...but rather reimporting the data.

Post edited by mjc1016 on
  • OrcaSoulOrcaSoul Posts: 119
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    OrcaSoul said:

Corrupted database...very often caused by installing something with Studio running.

If you are using custom categories or self-made metadata then exporting user data needs to be done, before reimporting the data. The usual fix is NOT reinstalling...but rather reimporting the data.

DS was not running during the install - in fact, IT was included in the install.

And I do not use custom anything related to data - I currently only use DS to export items to Vue.

Which CMS is the recommended version to use?

I have separately tried both PostgreSQL CMS (Win 64-bit) and From Valentina CMS Conversion - with no effect.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Install PostgreSQL, don't bother with the Conversion from Valentina to PostgreSQL, then reset the database, then Re-Import Metadata.

edited December 1969

Install PostgreSQL, don't bother with the Conversion from Valentina to PostgreSQL, then reset the database, then Re-Import Metadata.

PostgreSQL installed, restarted DS, reset the DB - ran for a minute or so with the white box moving around but no content showing in the history. It finished - and nothing, not even names, shows.

I checked in Task Manager, the CMS is not shown...stopped and restarted CMS in DS, still the same.

Previously I had uninstalled both CMS & DS, then removed the existing DS folder in Program Files - to get a clean install - and then reinstalled both...no difference. Same thing in the Content Manager, nothing showing.

I'm at a total loss on this...is it possible to clear everything, including folders, and do a full clean restart on this?

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

PostgreSQL doesn't use the contentmanagementservice -- it only runs when DS or DIM is running, and show sup as 6-7 instances of postgres.exe in task manager. There's also a Start CMS function in DS.

In the DS logfile it should say "Connected to CMS" -- if it says "PostgreSQL" then DS is using it, if not it's still using Valentina.

edited March 2015

PostgreSQL doesn't use the contentmanagementservice -- it only runs when DS or DIM is running, and show sup as 6-7 instances of postgres.exe in task manager. There's also a Start CMS function in DS.

In the DS logfile it should say "Connected to CMS" -- if it says "PostgreSQL" then DS is using it, if not it's still using Valentina.

I started DS, still no show in Task Manager. Read the log, see the following:

Connected to CMS: PostgreSQL 9.3.4, compiled by Visual C++ build 1600, 64-bit

Further down I see:
    Total class factories: 1358
    Creating Script Engine...
    WARNING: 3DConnexion Plug-in Error: Could not create Device, CoCreateInstance failed
    3D mouse support library could not be loaded.
    Creating Main Window...

I uploaded a copy of the log at http://www.orcasoul.com/DS-log.txt

I tried stopping CMS, then restarting it. No change. When I tried to reset the DB, it took a lot of time, but no history shows - and there are no additional entries to the log...shouldn't it show the stop & restart - and the reset - in the log?

Edit: I also closed DS, and started DIM - and it shows PostgreSQL CMS (Win 64-bit) as installed...but Task Manager does not show it as active...

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

OrcaSoul said:
    I'm at a total loss on this...is it possible to clear everything, including folders, and do a full clean restart on this?

If you decide to do this, remember that "everything" includes the content database, which is not stored with the program files or with the content. The easiest way to deal with it is to use the database controls in the Options menu of the Content Library tab.

Also, note that if you're looking at anything except the D|S Format or Poser Format content views, you are not looking at your content, you're looking at entries in the database. Entries which might or might not point to your actual content files — just because something's in the database doesn't guarantee it isn't corrupted or just plain wrong.

edited December 1969

If you decide to do this, remember that "everything" includes the content database, which is not stored with the program files or with the content. The easiest way to deal with it is to use the database controls in the Options menu of the Content Library tab..

Not sure what "database controls" you refer to - I opened the options list and find:

Content Directory Manager - which shows the correct paths.
    Import Mapped Directories - which seems to have old paths no longer valid...should I clear these?
    Content DB Editor - which seems to have nothing.
    Content Database Management - which has - among others - the reset DB & re-import Metadata, which don't seem to have any visual effect.

If I uninstall everything in DIM, won't that clear the entire DB? Or do I need to find the actual DB folder and clear it?

Will removing then installing the DIM take care of that? I realize then I need to re-enter the correct paths...

Also, note that if you're looking at anything except the D|S Format or Poser Format content views, you are not looking at your content, you're looking at entries in the database. Entries which might or might not point to your actual content files — just because something's in the database doesn't guarantee it isn't corrupted or just plain wrong.

The non-DS items are in sub-folders of the My DAZ 3D Library. I can put them somewhere else.

At this point I think the full wipe and reinstall is the best way to go on this - including removing both DS & DIM from Windows and re-installing everything.

• VhardamisVhardamis Posts: 576
    edited December 1969

Pieces of DAZ end up in several places on your computer.

On the install tab in the DIM at the bottom do you have the box checked off that states "delete packages once installed"? If you do not, when you do your full uninstall you aren't actually changing anything because all its doing is reinstalling from the files you have stored on your hard drive.

If you are truly set on a full wipe/ restart you'll need to find that file (default settings usually place it under: C:/Users/Public/Documents/DAZ 3D/InstallManager/Downloads) and manually delete the entire thing yourself.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

OrcaSoul said:
    At this point I think the full wipe and reinstall is the best way to go on this - including removing both DS & DIM from Windows and re-installing everything.

No...the content itself is perfectly fine...so is Studio. It's the database itself that is borked. Reinstalling won't fix that. Clearing out the invalid paths and throwing out the old database will probably fix it. As to the location of the actual database files, I'm not sure...but within Studio there are controls for it.

edited December 1969

Vhardamis said:
    Pieces of DAZ end up in several places on your computer.

On the install tab in the DIM at the bottom do you have the box checked off that states "delete packages once installed"? If you do not, when you do your full uninstall you aren't actually changing anything because all its doing is reinstalling from the files you have stored on your hard drive.

If you are truly set on a full wipe/ restart you'll need to find that file (default settings usually place it under: C:/Users/Public/Documents/DAZ 3D/InstallManager/Downloads) and manually delete the entire thing yourself.

I have the delete option checked.

In my case the path is C:\Users\OrcaSoul\Public\Documents\DAZ 3D\InstallManager\Downloads - and that is currently an empty folder.

I'll try removing the invalid paths as mjc1016 suggests - since those point to the "old (pre-DIM)" folders, which I don't have, I'll just leave them blank.

It's raining tomorrow anyway...

edited December 1969

OrcaSoul said:
    Not sure what "database controls" you refer to - I opened the options list and find:
    Content Database Management - which has - among others - the reset DB & re-import Metadata, which don't seem to have any visual effect.

You've found it. Reset DB does exactly that, it removes all database entries and leaves you with a clean, empty database. Re-import Metadata rebuilds all the database entries by importing files included in your DAZ content. Note that you must select your options one at a time, you can't wipe the database and rebuild it both at the same time.
    If I uninstall everything in DIM, won't that clear the entire DB? Or do I need to find the actual DB folder and clear it? Will removing then installing the DIM take care of that?
    No it won't and no it won't. The database is not your content and your content is not the database; the usual uninstall/reinstall dance doesn't touch the database, because it's totally independent of your content and it isn't stored anywhere near your content folders. Use the database controls in D|S, and you don't need to worry about finding the actual database files (IIRC they're in an odd place) — D|S knows where they are and will happily nuke them from orbit when you tell it to.
    edited March 2015

One at a time...I should'a known that...:roll:

OK, I'll redo that panel and see what happens...thanks.

Edit: I did the reset DB, and it ran for a while and seemed to do something, but not of a visible nature.

Same with the re-import metadata...

I'm just going to remove everything and try a full reboot tomorrow...

edited December 1969

Success at last! :lol:

After removing everything - including both DS and DIM - and reinstalling the DIM, I took the following steps:

1: Installed DS & Victoria Base and the PostgreSQL. Opened DS, - No products show.

2: Removed the CMS & installed the From Valentina CMS Conversion. - still no products.

3: Re-installed the CMS, ran DS with both - Victoria product shows in Smart Panel.

4: Installed everything else, all products show in Smart Panel - some images are missing.

5: Saved user data, then shut down. Checked for installed in DIM.

6: Restarted DS, reset DB - everything disappear from Smart Panel.

7: Reloaded metadata...took a while, showed list of products as processed.

8: When finished, everything is back - still some images missing...

So, probably didn't need to remove the software - but wanted to make it complete.

It seems that the CMS alone doesn't work - but the Valentina CMS should work - right?

I haven't tried removing the Valentina CMS yet - shouldn't have to...right?

Oh, and I was following the procedure at https://helpdaz.zendesk.com/entries/41561240-Installing-PostgreSQL-for-DAZ-Studio-and-Smart-Content-Issues - and noticed an error...

Export User Data
    To do this, right click on the Content Library pane, choose Content DB Maintenance, tick Export User Data, click Accept.

Using a right click does nothing - it needs a left click to work...

edited December 1969

OrcaSoul said:
    2: Removed the CMS & installed the From Valentina CMS Conversion. - still no products.

The "From Valentina CMS Conversion" didn't work because it isn't a CMS itself — it does exactly what it says on the tin, it's a tool that takes the entries in your Valentina database and converts it into the proper format for the new PostgreSQL CMS. You didn't see anything because you'd wiped the old Valentina database but not yet told D|S to build a new one. Just starting D|S isn't enough; you have to explicitly use the database controls in D|S to rebuild the database. You had the right idea to begin with, but you were doing things in the wrong order.
    edited March 2015

OrcaSoul said:

The "From Valentina CMS Conversion" didn't work because it isn't a CMS itself — it does exactly what it says on the tin, it's a tool that takes the entries in your Valentina database and converts it into the proper format for the new PostgreSQL CMS. You didn't see anything because you'd wiped the old Valentina database but not yet told D|S to build a new one. Just starting D|S isn't enough; you have to explicitly use the database controls in D|S to rebuild the database. You had the right idea to begin with, but you were doing things in the wrong order.

Yeah, I did forget to start it first...Anyway, it seems to have solved the problem (except for the few missing images) so I'll work with this.

But why didn't the CMS alone work? If it is intended to replace the older version, shouldn't it stand on it's own?