LIght from an object

SnapperTrxSnapperTrx Posts: 22
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I have a sword object that I extracted from a game. Along with the extraction came a normal map and a mask. In order to make everything look right (as in, close to in game) I had to use the layered image editor. I have a top layer of black with the mask image applied to it, and a layer beneath that of light blue. The model looks good (maybe 95% compared to in game), but during the game the light blue portion glows. Is there some way I can duplicate that effect in DAZ studio? I am not very familiar with shaders and such, but if someone can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it. Thanks.

test.jpg
818 x 1000 - 87K

Comments

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,916
    edited December 1969

If you just want it to show up even in the dark, the base 4.7 3Delight renderer will do that fine (Ambient channel). That sort of glow doesn't 'spread' to other surfaces, however.

If you want it actually emitting light, you may want to check out the 4.8 beta and Iray, where you could put the map under Emission (setting base emission color to white), and tweak values accordingly.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 98,097
    edited December 1969

You can also use the uber Area shader in 3Delight, in 4.7, to make the surface emit light.

• SnapperTrxSnapperTrx Posts: 22
    edited December 1969

Tried using the 4.8 beta, but it crashes when using the layered image editor.

edited December 1969

Tried using the 4.8 beta, but it crashes when using the layered image editor.

This is a known issue, at least when Iray is set as the render engine. Switching the render engine before using the editor, then switching back once the layered texture is made, may enable you to work around it.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,477
    edited December 1969

Are the known issues posted anywhere in a single thread or on the DAZ documentation site? It would be nice to be aware of them and any workarounds like this. The other known issue I've stumbled across in the forum is the intersecting transmaps. Are there others?

edited December 1969

There isn't a "known issues" thread, I'm afraid.