Skins, UV sets and Models

j_koko2_f2572d4e05j_koko2_f2572d4e05 Posts: 17
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Hi!

I've looked around and can't really find the answer...or I'm not googling the right question. Anyways.

Can someone tell me what the downside is to using skins meant for one model on another?

For example. If I load Victoria 6 but use a skin made for, say, Aiko 6 or Belle 6, etc.

Is it OK? Will the apocalypse begin? Do I get weird seams, fat lips? What?!

Thanks!

Jason

Comments

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,916
    edited December 1969

The important thing is making sure the underlying UV map works for your model.

So, for example, you might have Blaggle 6, but the maps used are 'Victoria 6.' You can use it easily on any other model that also uses Victoria 6 UV maps.

Typically, there are a small list of UV maps all skins use.

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited December 1969

You can use an Aiko 6 or Belle 6 skin on Victoria 6 if you also own Aiko 6 and Belle 6 to get their UVs.

• j_koko2_f2572d4e05j_koko2_f2572d4e05 Posts: 17
    edited December 1969

Vas,

I do own them and I noticed the UV Set switches when applying. So as long as the UV set is present, the skin will fit the model? IE, lips line up, etc.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

j_koko2 said:
    Vas,

I do own them and I noticed the UV Set switches when applying. So as long as the UV set is present, the skin will fit the model? IE, lips line up, etc.

In a word...yes.

Most presets will automatically call up the correct UV, whether or not you are applying the actual 'character' or a generic one. Once you've add the characters (Aiko, etc) the UVs are available to ALL Genesis 2 Females you want to use...

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449
    edited December 1969

The unique UV mapping is to minimize stretching of the textures. Compare Giselle and Lilith, both are lanky characters but Giselle is slim and flat chested whereas Lilith is curvy and busty. Where you to put a texture for Giselle's mapping on Lilith's shape there would pronounced stretching on the hip, buttocks and breast. Conversely a Lilith mapped texture on Giselle's shape would show 'pinching' in those same regions.