Renderman non commercial release

StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167
edited December 1969 in The Commons

http://renderman.pixar.com/view/get-renderman

but until some intrepid soul builds a software bridge to get shaders out of DS into Renderman it's not going to do much but render textureless .RIB scene.

Comments

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited December 1969

I can't see there being a huge DS market for a bridge since 3delight is a renderman compliant render engine.

• Takeo.KenseiTakeo.Kensei Posts: 1,303
    edited December 1969

Finally ! I thought it would be delayed again

I guess it will be easier at the beginning to use some text editor for some testing.

We have a lot of new toys these days. Really 24h is not enough. Should double the hour count

• icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    edited December 1969

Being non-commercial, it is of little use.

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167
    edited March 2015

icprncss said:
    Being non-commercial, it is of little use.

Pixar also dropped the price on the commercial version today from $1,300.00 US to $495.00 US.

And along with non-commercial art use the free version does not have restrictions for schools, laboratories, evaluators, trainers, or developers.

Post edited by StratDragon on
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Maybe sometime this century, I'll get it...waiting for the activation link...and waiting...and waiting...

• dakkuuandakkuuan Posts: 305
    edited December 1969

Now I'm not sure how well it's going to work (I don't have Maya and it says only the very technically inclined can use it without it) but non-commercial Renderman is out. So if your curious what Pixar uses to render it's movies, the software is available without limitations, only that you can't use it for commercial purposes. We'll probably have to use a command line to render from RIB. Here is the link:
    http://renderman.pixar.com/view/non-commercial-renderman?utm_source=Non-Commercial+RenderMan&utm_campaign=998cf5d8be-FNC_Release_Email&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_d8e914e38a-998cf5d8be-119802989

• stoltenkamp.scottstoltenkamp.scott Posts: 95
    edited December 1969

my activation link came through almost instantly... check your spam/junk mail... add rmancusp@pixar to whitelist

• ToyenToyen Posts: 1,869
    edited December 1969

Downloading right now! CANT WAIT! : )

edited December 1969

my activation link came through almost instantly... check your spam/junk mail... add rmancusp@pixar to whitelist

The 'It's here' email didn't come through until after 4 pm, my time. (US Eastern), so I don't expect it until later...much later.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,774
    edited December 1969

...got it.

For me just being able to lean it and say I know how to use it might open a few more doors.

Hoping someone will develop a bridge as this is a more complete rendering suite than the version of 3DL currently built into Daz Studio.

• Anubic DarqueAnubic Darque Posts: 13
    edited December 1969

Now that Pixar has released Renderman for non commercial release, is anyone using it? I know DAZ studio can export to RIB, but... does anyone have Renderman itself as a renderer option in Studio? if not... Is DAZ or anyone else working on a plugin so that we can directly call Renderman and render that way? OR failing even that.. does anyone know the command line render commands?

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited December 1969

does this make sense to anybody? http://renderman.pixar.com/resources/current/RenderMan/pathTracing.html

makin my brain hurt :lol:

i wanna use pathtracing for my DS ribs

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 98,147
    edited December 1969

As noted above, you'd first need Renderman versions of the shaders used in the DS scene. They won't auto-convert.

edited March 2015

3DE isn't renderman?

gottem confused

this http://renderman.pixar.com/view/PR-NCR and this http://www.3delight.com/en/index.php?page=3DSP_download

= separate things

doh

ohhh 3de is RenderMan-compliant

still confused

Post edited by Mistara on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 98,147
    edited December 1969

Although 3Delight is Renderman compliant it isn't code-identical - certainly not with a compiled shader, which is what we have for DS generally.

edited March 2015

not all rib files are equal?

reyes and catmanmul different things?

Post edited by Mistara on
    edited December 1969

there's a 3Delight & RenderMan forums.

intimidating to post question there though

edited December 1969

...so seems we would need a "Reality" like bridge.

• almahiedraalmahiedra Posts: 1,347
    edited December 1969

As noted above, you'd first need Renderman versions of the shaders used in the DS scene. They won't auto-convert.

When shader builder compiles, a version of the shader in renderman shading language format is presented. Is it enough to be used? I haven't read in detail the rib part in the renderman books (I always jump direct to shading language), but this ouput looks just like the shader part that is set in the rib in books.

• bytescapesbytescapes Posts: 1,821
    edited December 1969

Pixar have apparently now made an unlimited version of their Renderman software free for non-commercial use:

http://renderman.pixar.com/view/non-commercial-renderman

I don't believe that any of DAZ's software can directly output RIB format files for use with Renderman, but it might be possible to use another tool such as Blender as an intermediary.

I don't know enough about Renderman to know whether this is a big deal or 'Ho-hum', but I thought I'd share this in case it's of interest to someone.

edited March 2015

angusm said:
    Pixar have apparently now made an unlimited version of their Renderman software free for non-commercial use:

I don't believe that any of DAZ's software can directly output RIB format files for use with Renderman, but it might be possible to use another tool such as Blender as an intermediary.

I don't know enough about Renderman to know whether this is a big deal or 'Ho-hum', but I thought I'd share this in case it's of interest to someone.

.RIB is by definition RenderMan Interface Bytestream
    You can output an .RIB with Studio from the render tab, that option has been there since the first versions of Studio I think.
    But the .RIB from Studio to Pixar Renderman won't give you a finished product at this time. the remaining problem for Studio users right now is the lack of a shader converter like the ones available for those of use who use LuxRender.

edited December 1969

i'm making bookcovers, i guess that puts me in the commercial use category. :down:

• ZarconDeeGrissomZarconDeeGrissom Posts: 5,412
    edited December 1969

After the past few weeks trying to get lights going, and converting every single surface texture to Iray.

I'm actually, NOT looking forward to this.

edited March 2015

I've done commercial work for magazine covers and a $495 investment for a commercial production tool is far from unreasonable, I can think of so many ways to make it back on a short project, add to my professional services or have a client pay for an ongoing stint. Aside from that I could write off a portion of the investment when I filed my taxes for the income made on commercial projects. I could evaluate the legitimacy of using it with the non-commercial version for months before I committed to anything.

edited December 1969

angusm said:

.RIB is by definition RenderMan Interface Bytestream
    You can output an .RIB with Studio from the render tab, that option has been there since the first versions of Studio I think.
    But the .RIB from Studio to Pixar Renderman won't give you a finished product at this time. the remaining problem for Studio users right now is the lack of a shader converter like the ones available for those of use who use LuxRender.

And for the most part, converting the shaders will be just a simple matter of recompiling them...some may not compile in Renderman, but there's a very high rate of compatibility between 3DL and Prman, at the shader level. It's worst with the newer shaders, using the new raytracing implementations in each one and best with the older shaders. The current problem is, that some of the 'base' shaders, while having the source code embedded to allow for recompiling, probably won't compile under Prman. There are probably even some that will run without any kind of recompile, needed. I still don't have it installed yet, so I don't know exactly what it would take to recompile them. And nothing out of ShaderMixer will work right, as Prman won't understand the way DS passes the 'bricks' out to make up a shader (if ShaderMixer actually compiled a 'finished' shader file, that wouldn't be too much of a problem...).

edited December 1969

I've done commercial work for magazine covers and a $495 investment for a commercial production tool is far from unreasonable, I can think of so many ways to make it back on a short project, add to my professional services or have a client pay for an ongoing stint. Aside from that I could write off a portion of the investment when I filed my taxes for the income made on commercial projects. I could evaluate the legitimacy of using it with the non-commercial version for months before I committed to anything.

...indeed, especially since it used to cost 1,200$ on one recent project I finished (regular 3DL) I easily would have made that cost back and still had enough to clear quite a bit off my wishlist.
  • bytescapesbytescapes Posts: 1,821
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    ... for the most part, converting the shaders will be just a simple matter of recompiling them...some may not compile in Renderman, but there's a very high rate of compatibility between 3DL and Prman, at the shader level. It's worst with the newer shaders, using the new raytracing implementations in each one and best with the older shaders. The current problem is, that some of the 'base' shaders, while having the source code embedded to allow for recompiling, probably won't compile under Prman. There are probably even some that will run without any kind of recompile, needed ... nothing out of ShaderMixer will work right, as Prman won't understand the way DS passes the 'bricks' out to make up a shader (if ShaderMixer actually compiled a 'finished' shader file, that wouldn't be too much of a problem...).

Suddenly the installer's warning about the non-Maya version only being for "the very technically inclined" starts to make sense.

Picture me nodding my head vigorously with a blank expression on my face.

edited December 1969

angusm said:
    mjc1016 said:
    ... for the most part, converting the shaders will be just a simple matter of recompiling them...some may not compile in Renderman, but there's a very high rate of compatibility between 3DL and Prman, at the shader level. It's worst with the newer shaders, using the new raytracing implementations in each one and best with the older shaders. The current problem is, that some of the 'base' shaders, while having the source code embedded to allow for recompiling, probably won't compile under Prman. There are probably even some that will run without any kind of recompile, needed ... nothing out of ShaderMixer will work right, as Prman won't understand the way DS passes the 'bricks' out to make up a shader (if ShaderMixer actually compiled a 'finished' shader file, that wouldn't be too much of a problem...).

Suddenly the installer's warning about the non-Maya version only being for "the very technically inclined" starts to make sense.

Picture me nodding my head vigorously with a blank expression on my face.

Maya provides a nice sleek UI...without Maya, its text editors and commandline (console). True 'geek' stuff...

• Mustakettu85Mustakettu85 Posts: 2,933
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:

And for the most part, converting the shaders will be just a simple matter of recompiling them...some may not compile in Renderman, but there's a very high rate of compatibility between 3DL and Prman, at the shader level. It's worst with the newer shaders, using the new raytracing implementations in each one and best with the older shaders.

Physically based shaders won't work at all without re-writing (different syntax, different shadeops actually).

And... looking at Misty's confusion about the naming here... I truly wish Pixar had kept the PRMan name for their actual software. If only for the sake of us dinosaurs, too =D
    As if there weren't enough confusion, riiiight.

Let's reiterate:
    - there is the Renderman Interface Specification (RiSpec): it's a standard for two pieces of software talking to each other (the scene exporter and the renderer); "Renderman-compliant" renderers will adhere to this spec (to a certain point).
    - there is that Renderman software formerly known as PRMan (PhotoRealistic renderMan), it's the big name one by Pixar.
    - then there is the REYES thing which is related to RiSpec but should not be mixed up: REYES is a type of an algorithm used for rendering. Most Renderman-compliant renderers have historically been REYES-based, but it's not true anymore.