Editing or creating Swords

brian_crcbrian_crc Posts: 2
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Good afternoon all,

I am new to DAZ and am looking to create a logo for a Foundation my wife and I are starting for Breast Cancer (well, really all types), and i would like to create a sword with with the name of the Foundation etched in it and also change the look of the handle. but it doesnt look like i can do that in here. is there another program that i can create my own sword or edit one of the swords in here?? thanks in advance for your help.

Comments

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167
    edited December 1969

brian_crc said:
    Good afternoon all,

I am new to DAZ and am looking to create a logo for a Foundation my wife and I are starting for Breast Cancer (well, really all types), and i would like to create a sword with with the name of the Foundation etched in it and also change the look of the handle. but it doesnt look like i can do that in here. is there another program that i can create my own sword or edit one of the swords in here?? thanks in advance for your help.

If you want to edit a texture for an existing sword model you would need something like MSPaint, Gimp, Photoshop, etc.
    You could add the logo to the existing texture and change it on the model, you could make a displacement map of the logo and "emboss" it to a model but If you want to create your own or physically change the model you would need a modeling program which Daz Studio lacks many of the tools needed to make a sophisticated finished product.

do you have a mock-up or a composition? If it's simple I could take a crack at it in Blender.
    I'm sure if you posted this in freebies others might be willing to come up with something thats for a good cause.

• brian_crcbrian_crc Posts: 2
    edited December 1969

Thanks for your reply. Thats what i thought. I have an idea in my head, but nothing really on paper. im attaching a photo of something similar. This is what i want to do, but in the cross guard etch the words of our foundation (Freedom To Fight). I was also thinking about making a guard that was in the shape of the ribbon. just not sure how it would look or if it would completely hide her face.

women_W.jpg
    284 x 177 - 5K
    edited December 1969

my sword making skills are less than I remember.
    Can you use something like this?

Screen_Shot_2015-03-26_at_10.53_.29_AM_.png
    340 x 849 - 39K
  • brian_crcbrian_crc Posts: 2
    edited December 1969

that is a million times better than what i can come up it.. :) you did that in blender?

edited March 2015

yes, I'm going to texture it and post it for you.
    it will be an obj file.
    do you know how to load an obj and scale it in DS?

[edit]
    looks like I will need to redo the text by hand
    so much for blender normals and studios interpretation.

Screen_Shot_2015-03-26_at_11.58_.38_AM_.png
    739 x 753 - 1M
    Post edited by StratDragon on
    edited December 1969

ok, fixed.

6 material zones, UV Mapped for textures but I didn't include any.

I'm PMing you the DL address, if you have no objections I'll post as a freebie in the forums here .

Screen_Shot_2015-03-26_at_3.48_.00_PM_.png
    980 x 1002 - 1M