Shader Mixer Nodes

edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

Hello all. I'm coming back after a few years of moving. (3 times in 2 years)

I'm working with the shadow catcher node in DS 4.7, and I found carnite's excellent tutorial, but my question is how do you get back to the shaders for an object after you have closed the scene and reopened it?

You create a primitive, and open the nodes editor and make this awesome material, apply it to your object. Then save the scene, close DS4.7, then open the scene again. I clicked on the material, opened the editor and the default 2 nodes were there.
I've tried clicking the material and going back into the node editor and all the nodes I added are gone, but the material still retains its settings.

I must be missing something.
Thanks for any and all help, and it's nice to be back!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qo2OVy9tf8E

Gary

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 98,147
    edited December 1969

Select the surface you applied the shader to, open the File menu on the Shader Mixer pane, not the main File menu, and you will see an Import from Scene command.

• edited December 1969

Thank you Richard, and hello from an old friend.
    So the scene doesn't save any of the nodes then?
    Do we have any good tutorials, or complete documentation on the notes system I'm really loving it, it's close to Blender, and I'd like to learn how to use it better.

thank you so much for the help

• Eustace ScrubbEustace Scrubb Posts: 2,691
    edited March 2015

It's "Import shader from scene" on the ShaderMixer File menu. Welcome back, Gary!

The scene saves any shader you put into it, but ShaderMixer opens to the two-node skeleton shader by default and all else must be either loaded from saved shader DBMs or imported from the scene.

Post edited by Eustace Scrubb on
  • edited December 1969

Thank you!
    That makes much more sense now, and thank you for the welcome back.
    Nice to be home again.

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

Gary_P said:
    Thank you!
    That makes much more sense now, and thank you for the welcome back.
    Nice to be home again.

Welcome back Gary! Once you've imported it into shadermixer you can use the save option File/save shader...