Forum smileys

LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,461
edited March 2015 in The Commons

After a year or so of being resigned to the fact that I don't see smileys in the forums since the change of forum system, I just noticed that if I'm not logged into the forum I CAN see smileys but if I am logged in I don't. Arghhh.

I've looked in the forum "My Control Panel" and can not find any control for permitting or denying smileys.

Where is this control hidden?

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

If you go to the Post Reply button, instead of using Fast Reply, is the "Enable smileys in this post" ticked or unticked?

Also if you are running any blocking software (script/ad/etc) make sure you haven't blocked them there...

You might have to ask to have your account set back to the 'default', as if it was brand new. For most of the forum software I'm familiar with, this is a 'nuclear' option, though, as it wipes out things like post counts, avatars and even mailboxes...

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,548
    edited December 1969

For some reason it's only available on the admin side :roll: I've set them on for you :-) Not that they are things of beauty :ohh:

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,874
    edited December 1969

Where is a list of all the smiley codes that this forum can use?

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,954
    edited December 1969

...I still miss the old ones, especially since a lot were created with Emotiguy.

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,649
    edited March 2015

Novica said:
    Where is a list of all the smiley codes that this forum can use?

Click on the message 'post reply' button. To the left of the new box is a blue label 'Smilys'. Click on it to bring up the available smilys.

Post edited by Charlie Judge on
  • McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,047
    edited December 1969

I find the easiest way to have smileys is to just draw them on my screen with a marker... They are very easily customized by holding the marker in my left hand or by using my feet to draw instead...
    Though nobody can see it, that last sentence had a smiley wearing a cowboy hat and carrying an axe...
    I'm not really good at remembering what the different smileys mean.
    The problem with my system is that the smileys stay behind when you view a different page and don't always go with what post you are reading... Like a laughing smiley at the end of "Terrorists just kidnapped my cat"...
    That last sentence also had the same axe wielding smiley with the cowboy hat... I don't know what it means, but I like it.
    There are lots of flaws with my system... Chiefly, that nobody else can see them, you can't use crayons, it makes my wife mad (only when I do it on her computer... I'm pretty sure she won't yell at you if you do it on yours), Sharpie marker require alcohol to remove (rum and whiskey are expensive) and writing on you computer screen is one of the six most common signs of madness...
    In retrospect, it's a pretty crappy system.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

writing on you computer screen is one of the six most common signs of madness...

#5...using WhiteOut to cover that writing....

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

you could always use lolcats instead of the installed smileys

Faces_Of_Cat.jpg
    400 x 307 - 45K
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,954
    edited December 1969

...yeah but they have to be attachments as the forum software no longer allows for embedded .gifs.

• robkelkrobkelk Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...I still miss the old ones, especially since a lot were created with Emotiguy.

Likewise. I'm surprised nobody at DAZ3D has replaced the default smileys with EmotiGuy smileys yet - that would be a bit of subtle advertising for a store product.

(What? "EmotiGuy is currently free"? Well, yes, but EmotiSports Pack 1 isn't ...)

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,461
    edited March 2015

Testing 123 :cheese: Testing 123 :roll:

Aye, Admiral. Thar be smileys here. Hoot Mon!

36_2_47.gif
    107 x 93 - 37K
  • LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,461
    edited March 2015

For some reason it's only available on the admin side :roll: I've set them on for you :-) Not that they are things of beauty :ohh:

Thank you! I am not worthy. :down:

HUGS