200 + 200 + 200 = 518?

wizwiz Posts: 1,100
edited December 1969 in The Commons

The banner says

"Top 200 Items from Each Year 2012, 2013, 2014 - March Madness - Sales and Promotions"

But the page says "518 items", and yes, I did uncheck "Hide Items I Own".

It's that dang "new math" again, isn't it?

Comments

• CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401
    edited December 1969

Greetings,
    Heh! Man, that 'new math' thing never gets old... ;)

If I were to hazard a guess, several items remained in the top 200 over multiple years, so only get included once. That is to say there's a Common Core of items that sell the best. See what I did there? I updated the New Math joke!

-- Morgan

• chris-2599934chris-2599934 Posts: 1,799
    edited December 1969

I suppose that some of the items that were in the top 200 in 2014 (say) were also in the top 200 in 2013, so if you combine the top 200's from multiple years you end up with less than (200 x the number of years).

But, that being the case, it's a bit odd to call it a "Top 600 Sale."

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

chris said:

That or they are using 'governmental math'...you know the kind of math that defies all logic that can only come into existence because some committee, somewhere made it happen, for governmental use...which of course, means it spreads like dandelions...

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited March 2015

mjc1016 said:
    chris said:

That or they are using 'governmental math'...you know the kind of math that defies all logic that can only come into existence because some committee, somewhere made it happen, for governmental use...which of course, means it spreads like dandelions...

Could be a statistic. Statistics are to a company as a bikini is to a woman, what they reveal is interesting, what they conceal is vital :coolgrin:

Post edited by Chohole on
  • Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,235
    edited December 1969

New Math by Tom Lehrer. An absolute classic!

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,950
    edited March 2015

chris said:
    I suppose that some of the items that were in the top 200 in 2014 (say) were also in the top 200 in 2013, so if you combine the top 200's from multiple years you end up with less than (200 x the number of years).

Especially when the ad banner at the top of the MM page actually states, in all caps no less, "600 ITEMS TOTAL!" Obviously the people writing the ad text and the people who actually program the store sales were literally not on the same page. No doubt someone somewhere said one thing in one meeting/memo and then someone in another meeting/memo said something slightly different and it wasn't until it hits the store that the discrepancies collided.
    Post edited by Cybersox on
  • SpitSpit Posts: 2,342
    edited December 1969

Actually, nobody counted. The store software did its thing--properly--and ended up with 518. A bunch of staff at DAZ are donig a headdesk about now.

• SlimerJSpudSlimerJSpud Posts: 1,453
    edited December 1969

New Math by Tom Lehrer. An absolute classic!

Base 8 is just like Base 10 really ... if you're missing two fingers.
  • TotteTotte Posts: 13,882
    edited December 1969

My best guess is that a fair amount of items are in Top 200 2012, 2013 & 2014, but the smart store software only show those as one entry instead of showig multiple entries for those items that where on more than one Top 200 list.

• BlumBlumShubBlumBlumShub Posts: 1,108
    edited December 1969

My guess is that if this is the worst that happens today, it's been a good day.