ISO photoshop brushes are good for character making

Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 26,140
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I am searching for photoshop brushes that would be good for 3d character making. I prefer the brushes to be free as in free root beer but also free as in able to use on commercial projects.

I am using Photoshop CS6 if it matters at all.

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

I am searching for photoshop brushes that would be good for 3d character making. I prefer the brushes to be free as in free root beer but also free as in able to use on commercial projects.

I am using Photoshop CS6 if it matters at all.

ObsidianDawn has a bunch on DA and Renderosity and her own site...

http://www.obsidiandawn.com/category/brushes (She's got pretty easy to live with ToS...basically, credit her for the resource used and cheap prices if you want to use them without having to credit her.)

David Nagel has a bunch at CreativeMac (some of the early sets are in a Mac archive format that's difficult to open on a windows machine without StuffIt.

http://www.creativemac.com/articles/listarticle.jsp?type=downloads

Both work in GIMP, too.

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,047
    edited December 1969

They make free root beer? What kind? What kind of roots?... Still, it's free... so who cares...

Free root beer aside, what do you mean by 3D character making?
    Like 3D fonts and glyphs or detailing on a character... Like scars or wrinkles?
    I'm not trying to funny this time, just wondering...

edited December 1969

They make free root beer? What kind? What kind of roots?... Still, it's free... so who cares...

Free root beer aside, what do you mean by 3D character making?
    Like 3D fonts and glyphs or detailing on a character... Like scars or wrinkles?
    I'm not trying to funny this time, just wondering...

I took it to mean wrinkles, scars and general skin work...both ones I linked got some nice sets for that.

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 26,140
    edited December 1969

3d characters as in a character texture for G2F or G2M or Star or ect

edited December 1969

I asked because over time I've accumulated a lot of Photoshop docs of items I've made for various projects... I also recently learned to make PS brushes (actually, "relearned"- since I learned how years ago and then forgot)... I was thinking of taking some of the items I had made and either releasing them as PNG parts sheets or as brushes...
    Initially I was going to release them as PNGs, which seem more useful, but then I thought maybe brushes...
    Most of the stuff is grunge (cracks and streaks for walls and stuff) and similar items, but there is some hair, scars and zombie wounds.
    If it's of use to anyone, my Poison Ivy set has some hives on a PNG sheet and there is a Hair clump included in my Photo Defacement Kit, which are both over at ShareCG.

edited December 1969

i would like brushes to make human textures along with fantasy and science fiction characters.

also need glyphs to put on a portal gate which allows travel between the stars without advanced technology like starships.

• icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    edited December 1969

3d characters as in a character texture for G2F or G2M or Star or ect

What type of textures? Painterly or photo realistic? Characters involve a combination of morphs (dial spin or custom in a modeller) and skin texture. Depending upon the texture artist, s/he may begin with an MR as a base and add their own additions using human resource photos if they are going for a more realistic look, or take the base into an app like PS or Painter (I prefer Painter's tool set when doing non-photo realistic textures). Certain brushes for hair, eyebrows, scars, wrinkles, and the like are good for making masks and displacement map that get wired into the shader set up.

When you ask for brushes, can you list the types of brushes you are looking for?

edited December 1969

i was thinking of eyebrow brushes and brushes to help with eye textures.

something a blend of toon and realistic so also freckles would be good.

right now i am on my phone which has a small keyboard and it sometimes eats my posts. i can try to think of everything i need and post them when i get home.

edited December 1969

maybe something for short facial hair. i forgot what it is called maybe a five o'clock shadow for guys. body hair brushes.

something to help with lips?

edited December 1969

I have a stubble sheet I was going to turn into brushes... Or I did turn into brushes... I'll look and see if I can find it... I recently had to do a "dump to auxiliary HDs" because my Mac's tiny pitiful hard drive fills up so fast...

edited December 1969

Here's a set of eyebrows....and under the description, there are some 'related' brushes...

http://www.obsidiandawn.com/eyebrows-photoshop-gimp-brushes

edited March 2015

Here is what the stubble brushes look like... I have no idea how other people would use them, but they worked for my methods of use...
    but if they seem useful, I'll put them up on ShareCG... otherwise I'll do it at some other point when I get around to it.

StubbleBrushes-001w.jpg
    1200 x 1270 - 347K
    Post edited by McGyver on
    edited December 1969

I also found a Photoshop file I named "Bodyhair" ... it was in the brush folder... it seems to have assorted body hair... both of the private and public nature...
    I wonder what that was for?
    Maybe I was doing arm and chest hair and I just went that extra step?
    Oh well...

• icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    edited December 1969

I'm in the office today so I don't have access to my personal resource folders here. I have some freckle, mole and pore brushes that I use to make masks, bump and displacement maps. I also have a set of veins for the sclera. I did them for Painter so I will need to check their native format.