1 for setting 1 for render, working with 2 PC how to?

boisselazonboisselazon Posts: 458
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Hi,

well, waiting to see results in realtime is not for today (at least for me) but will be probably close tomorrox (iray+nvidia powa?). (I'm not speaking about octane ;-) )
What's annoying me is waiting for a rendering result -for ages - and then see a detail that make me have to re render the picture. More of this, the rendering time is long enough to break my workflow because while rendering, the computer is not really usable to continue the workflow. AND I don't wan't to render during the nighttime to see the result the day after.

So, I'm thinking about using my second computer for the render only. My energy bill will explode. But it is worth a try.

Here is the available power:
main is a laptop (4gh 4core/8thread) fast enough for easy workflow. (PC1)
Second is a desktop (idem) which can also have its own screen.(PC2)

the idea: when a scene is done with PC1: send it to the PC2 and render it with PC2. In the meantime, I can work on the next scene. If the render result need adjustment, I just have to relaod/modify/resend. There is no wainting time in the creation process.

My questions are:
- what do I need softwarewise to make it work?
- I have same daz3D soft on both PC. everything is installed in the default directories. Is it enough to copy the whole My Daz Library from PC1 to PC2?

- harware wise (without thinking about octane and iray atm): what is the most powerfull hardware to accelerate the rendering? I don't know if an image can be rendereed with several PC (not speaking about PC1 + PC2 but PC2+PC3 etc... like rendering farm)

has anyone already done this kind of set up?
thx in advance

Comments

• kaotkblisskaotkbliss Posts: 2,914
    edited December 1969

This sounds like the perfect situation for dropbox.
    You can create a cloud storage to save your scenes on (so if your computers blow up, you can still get a new one, then download your scenes from the cloud and nothing lost!)
    then you install dropbox on both laptop and pc. Changes to files made in the dropbox folder are uploaded to the cloud, then downloaded by all other computers you have set up with dropbox :)

https://db.tt/uerjAETX

• boisselazonboisselazon Posts: 458
    edited December 1969

no, I don't need some cloud storage atm (I have already all I need).

My concern is about setting up things (material, software, content) in a LAN configuration. This is mostly a computational problem as DAz (and all 3D rendering programs) are really power hungry

edited December 1969

Well, then you need to set up a network and create a shared folder that both computers can access. Beyond that, that's all you need other than Daz being installed on both computers.

edited March 2015

ok thx.

what's about hardware? most efficient? fastest?

I can't take the chance to test the 4.8 beta and I don't have nvidia hardware atm.
    Can someone provide a comparison between lets say a 3.5gh 4 core (very common CPU those days..) and a 980GTX ? (well, for the iray render of course)

(the upcoming 980Ti which spec have leaked 3 days ago will be probably great but in what proportion?)

Post edited by boisselazon on
    edited December 1969

Do you mean CPU render vs GPU render in Iray?

There's a thread that was started where everyone used the exact same scene to render in Iray and posted the time taken to render.

I have an AMD Athlon II x3 450 (triple core 3.2 Ghz) and a scene hit 2 hours before it made it to 20% I think
    I just got an NVidia GTX 970 and the same scene got to 92% in about a half hour

edited December 1969

well, the athlon II is kinda old ;-(

There’s a thread that was started where everyone used the exact same scene to render in Iray and posted the time taken to render.

can't find it ;-(

could you confirm also that the rendering with iray is starting in realtime like the octane one while doing the modifications in the Daz software? (this is a fast preview really helpful)

edited March 2015

Yeah, it is a little outdated but still works very well for 3Delight. Also it gives you an idea of the improvement I was able to get with a good NVidia card.

I don't think you can make modifications in Iray while it's rendering :(

*edit*
    benchmark thread
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/53771/

Post edited by kaotkbliss on
  • prixatprixat Posts: 1,588
    edited December 1969

I don't think you can make modifications in Iray while it's rendering :(

From reading the changelogs, it looks like that has been implemented in a more recent build and so has Iray Cloud!

edited December 1969

I went through the whole bench thread and it seems that iray+nvidia is the way to go.
    The only question will be "WHEN?" due to the double problem:
    - 4.8 release date (not a reallly big deal)
    - 4.8 iray optimised content (shaders, daz content imediatly ready stuff, etc...) (HUGE deal, because of the time you can loose trying to getting the right render from old stuff).