Scrubb's next Noir: Skunkville Noir! [Commercial]

Eustace ScrubbEustace Scrubb Posts: 2,698
edited April 2015 in The Commons

There's a new shader in town. From the wild mind of Eustace Scrubb comes the latest, most versatile Noir or comic shader you've ever seen. Arriving in April 2015, the Skunkville Noir only has one thing missing: a how-to manual! But the store's loss is now your gain, as you can get the straight dope here to make the best use of your next new shader imaginable, and say farewell forever to the Uncanny Valley Motel!

http://www.sharecg.com/v/80529/view/21/DAZ-Studio/Skunkville-Noir-The-Lost-Documentation

Get the shader itself here: http://www.daz3d.com/skunkville-noir

More art to follow.

An_Eye_for_Beauty.png
1300 x 1000 - 2M
The_Overwatch_of_the_Ravens_(v3).png
1000 x 1300 - 3M
Post edited by Eustace Scrubb on

Comments

• Eustace ScrubbEustace Scrubb Posts: 2,698
    edited December 1969

All of this was rendered with the Skunkville Noir shader, or early versions of it.

Sword-Cane_Bridge.png
    2000 x 1300 - 4M
    Skunkville_Poster_#1.png
    1000 x 1300 - 1M
    Rosie_Hard_Zero-Dots.png
    1000 x 1300 - 2M
  • ArtiniArtini Posts: 9,339
    edited December 1969

Looks very nice, and thanks for the link to the documentation.

• XenomorphineXenomorphine Posts: 2,421
    edited April 2015

Have to say, these shaders do look impressive...

They mention requiring Genesis 2. Does that mean they can only be applied to them? Or can they be applied to any surface, like the surrounding environment, clothing, props, vehicles and buildings, as with other shader sets? If I used them, I'd need to be able to have everything in the scene look the same.

Post edited by Xenomorphine on
    edited December 1969

Put 'em on anything you like: it's only the bonus poses that are figure-specific. And the only parameter that has to "look the same" is your filter size (the scale of dots in your halftone). Mix and match for emphasis or effect: it's all up to you!

• XenomorphineXenomorphine Posts: 2,421
    edited December 1969

Excellent! Some of the most convincing cartoon-style shaders I've seen. Wish-listing for a future purchase, even if I can't obtain them by tomorrow. :)

edited December 1969

Excellent! Some of the most convincing cartoon-style shaders I've seen. Wish-listing for a future purchase, even if I can't obtain them by tomorrow. :)

You've made my day, saying that! Thanks!
    edited December 1969

Hey, don't think I'm the only one whose art can go here. If you've got the shader, flaunt it!

Colorized_Photo.png
    1000 x 1300 - 2M
    Beach_Sand.png
    1000 x 1300 - 3M
  • KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191
    edited December 1969

Just wanted to say that I really like what I've played with so far. I haven't played with this type of shader before so I wasn't sure what to expect or how easy it would be to work with. But I like it and its a fun product. I just uploaded my first effort to the galleries. It isn't great, but not bad for a first try. I've had some ideas in my head for a couple of comic strips for my blogs and the Skunkville Noir will really help. I am slowly working my way through the pdf you posted on sharecg and learning how to fiddle with the controls.

Nice product!!

• SassyWenchSassyWench Posts: 602
    edited December 1969

Just a quick play with Callie and Skunkville :) I only used the presets on this one. When I have more time I can play more. LOL

Another great product! Thanks :)

CallieSkunkville2.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 1023K
  • PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,598
    edited December 1969

Put 'em on anything you like: it's only the bonus poses that are figure-specific. And the only parameter that has to "look the same" is your filter size (the scale of dots in your halftone). Mix and match for emphasis or effect: it's all up to you!

Looks great Eustace! I take it that we can use it on any figure then? and it's just the bonus poses that will only work with Gen2?

edited December 1969

Pendraia said:

Looks great Eustace! I take it that we can use it on any figure then? and it's just the bonus poses that will only work with Gen2?
    That's correct: I don't even know why they included that "required products" blurb. The poses were the toy in your Frosted Flakes box.

edited December 1969

Just a quick play with Callie and Skunkville :) I only used the presets on this one. When I have more time I can play more. LOL

Another great product! Thanks :)

And a nice and sassy wench, there!
  • SassyWenchSassyWench Posts: 602
    edited December 1969

LOL! I think I see a new avatar coming! ;-P

• XXVXVVXXVXVV Posts: 6
    edited December 1969

Awesome stuff man. It looks great I'll be picking this one up for sure.

And what is that font you are using in the promo pictures? It's pretty sweet.

• KickAir 8PKickAir 8P Posts: 1,865
    edited December 1969

Pendraia said:

That's correct: I don't even know why they included that "required products" blurb. The poses were the toy in your Frosted Flakes box.
    Sometimes the cereal gets bought for the toy -- you never know which part of your product's gonna be what your customer needs. A while back I bought a (IIRC) prop'n'pose set that included a good-looking umbrella, and was disappointed to find it was unusable for most of the shots I wanted it for because the PA hadn't included the stretchers or runner. When I asked, she said the props were just a bonus for the poses so she didn't think they needed that much detail. Frustrating!

Which is not to say I bought these shaders for the bonus pose! Unfortunately I'm about to be away from my rendering computer for a week, but I'm looking forward to playing with these when I get back.

edited December 1969

Awesome stuff man. It looks great I'll be picking this one up for sure.

And what is that font you are using in the promo pictures? It's pretty sweet.

The cover font is Comic Bold; interiors are in International Super Hero.
  • DollyGirlDollyGirl Posts: 2,656
    edited April 2015

Oh Eustace a mighty fine product you have produced. I played with them all day today. Some really nice presets that don't mess up your textures. Love the options in this set. So in appreciation, I thought Miss Johnson would come by and make a presence. So here she is:

Miss Hildy Johnson - Ace Reporter for the Morning Times: Walter this story is going to make us famous! Walter? Where are you Walter?!

HildyJohnson-AceReportfortheMorningPost.jpg
    1000 x 1294 - 494K
    Post edited by DollyGirl on
    edited December 1969

Nice! There you go again, showing me up with my own products... ;)

• DollyGirlDollyGirl Posts: 2,656
    edited December 1969

Thank you Eustace. But they are so cool!

• ffusffus Posts: 4
    edited December 1969

Eustace Scrubb,your work is great . I have bought the product ,but the manual in sharecg is so bored . a complete tutorial would be better .

edited December 1969

ffus said:
    Eustace Scrubb,your work is great . I have bought the product ,but the manual in sharecg is so bored . a complete tutorial would be better .

Thanks! It may take a little while, but I'll try to get one together.
  • PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,598
    edited December 1969

Pendraia said:

thanks Eustace...got a bit behind with my notifications as rl has been super busy. I will have to pick these up!