Body flexes when I pose.

deleted userdeleted user Posts: 1,204
edited May 2015 in The Commons

I'm going to try to fix this issue once more. Last time I tried I got some pretty nerdy replies that were hard to understand what they were even saying. But when i pose my actors the entire body flexes and deforms. I cannot figure out why it does this but it makes posing fingers resting against the thighs extremely difficult. Anything micro takes swinging back n forth the fingers until i get lucky because the body flexes all weird even if I only click the bend slider.

Post edited by deleted user on

Comments

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,969
    edited December 1969

For what it's worth, for fine changes, I prefer to use the numbers or the +/- buttons on sliders, rather than trying to move the slider myself. Particularly if it's a busy scene and my UI isn't updating smoothly.

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,899
    edited May 2015

edit.

It sounds like your are posing your characters with the limits on

The easiest way I have found around the issue is as follows.

Select Genesis 2 Female/Male in the scene tab

Right click on the highlighted G2F/M and choose "Expand from Selection"

Now high light ALL of the nodes.

Go to the Parameter Tab

If you do not see identical dials listed together with a bracketed number indicating how many, then go to the options menu and choose "consolidate Properties"

Now right click and choose edit mode

In edit mode, highlight ALL the rotation properties and then right click on the highlighted properties and choose the limits option to shut off limits. THen a second time and go to "Set > Sensativity..." and enter the value you want. I find 0.05 is really good for fine tuning poses.

Not that hard really. You can do this on a blank figure and save that as a stand alone scene and load it up any time you want to avoid doing these steps again and again on G2F/M

Post edited by Mattymanx on
  • BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 7,018
    edited May 2015

The body flexes is what happens if you try posing the character by using the manipulator in the viewport.
    For moer precise posing (and no body flrexing), select the joint you wat tp pose in the scene tab (alternately, you can select it in the viewport).
    Then, go to the parameter tab. The selected joint will show with the movement option and a slider. You can adjust the position by moving the sliders.
    If you don't have the parameter tab showing in your layout, you can activate it under Windows --> Panes --> Parameters.

If you want to keep using the viewport manipulation, the best way to stop the rest of the body from moving is by using the pins.
    Select the chest, and left-click on the pin. Check "pin translation" and "pin rotation". You can now move most body parts without flexing the entire body. By using the pins, you can determine which body part gets affected by the manipulation, and which does. When you are done posing, make sure you select "unpin selected", or "unpin all", to allow movement of the joint again.

Pose3.PNG
    583 x 457 - 99K
    Pose2.PNG
    1166 x 310 - 73K
    Pose_1.PNG
    447 x 402 - 30K
    Post edited by BeeMKay on
  • WiseavatarWiseavatar Posts: 33
    edited December 1969

Isn't the body flexing actually the smoothing that takes place on the joints of genesis figures which is off while your moving a body part.

In the example the original poster made a leg bent at the knee and hip would have a significant smoothing operation after the finger movement has been made making the thigh surface move once the finger has been positioned.

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 7,018
    edited December 1969

Well, if smoothing iss the problem, then the best solution would be to select the clothing, select the Parameters tab and turn smoothing off during posing, then turn it on again after posing is done.

• WiseavatarWiseavatar Posts: 33
    edited December 1969

lee_lhs said:
    Well, if smoothing iss the problem, then the best solution would be to select the clothing, select the Parameters tab and turn smoothing off during posing, then turn it on again after posing is done.

I was referring to Genesis base mesh not clothing.

• CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401
    edited December 1969

Greetings,
    Is there a way to force manipulations to take place using the subdivided geometry? It drives me up the WALL when I'm trying to do very precise finger movements against a thigh, or shoulder, and while I'm manipulating the finger, the body is the 'base mesh', which is VERY different than the high res mesh. So I have to 'guess' finger placement regularly. I feel like I'm lucky I get anywhere close in most of my images.

My computers are generally powerful enough to let me manipulate at the high res mesh (not the 3xSubD HD, but the normal 1x, I think); if there's a way to turn that on, I'd VERY much like to know about it!

-- Morgan

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,551
    edited December 1969

Tool Settings pane under During Manipulation set SubDivision to Persistent(On). You may also need to set Skin Binding to Full.

• RenpatsuRenpatsu Posts: 828
    edited May 2015

I think what is meant here is the changing of the figure in the preview while e.g. rotating an arm? If so then this could be the "Draw Manipulation". In DAZ Studio 4.8 it got its own tab called "Draw Settings" where you can alter them. I'd suggest at least to turn "Manipulation Binding" to "Full" and if your PC can handle you might even turn "SubDivision DrawStyle" to "Persistent (On)", but I usually leave the latter off on my Notebook :)

In DAZ Studio 4.7 it should be reachable via the "Tool Settings" tab when e.g. having the "Universal Manipulator" selected.

Edit: Switched one screenshot for a better one :)

Screen_Shot_2015-05-04_at_20.21_.02_.png
    439 x 440 - 63K
    Screen_Shot_2015-05-04_at_20.16_.11_.png
    669 x 221 - 45K
    Post edited by Renpatsu on
    edited December 1969

Here is a screenshot of the DAZ Studio 4.7 placement of these settings :)

Screen_Shot_2015-05-04_at_20.29_.01_.png
    520 x 636 - 74K
  • LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,461
    edited May 2015

never mind

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • deleted userdeleted user Posts: 1,204
    edited December 1969

I dont have draw settings in my panes. I looked.

• JackFosterJackFoster Posts: 143
    edited December 1969

I dont have draw settings in my panes. I looked.

It only exists in the 4.8 Beta. For lower versions, it's under Tool Settings. The two things you would need to change are Skin Binding to "Full", and SubDivision to "Persistent (On)".

edited December 1969

Guess I'll have to wait then. I don't beta. I want the functional version. Kudos to those willing to help work out the kinks but not on my machine! hehe

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,899
    edited December 1969

Guess I'll have to wait then. I don't beta. I want the functional version. Kudos to those willing to help work out the kinks but not on my machine! hehe

What version of DAZ Studio are you using?

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

The needed settings to change are just in a different location in 4.8.

In 4.7 see jwood331's post...

edited May 2015

I posted a screenshot of the tool settings pane, which works in DAZ Studio 4.7 (the non-beta). So you don't have to wait really :) They only moved the functionality to a different place in the beta basically.

Post edited by Renpatsu on
    edited December 1969

Figured out the issue.

In 4.8

Its under Draw Settings > Manipulation > Manipulation Binding > Full.

edited December 1969

Which basically is what was suggested on page one regarding 4.8. But you can do that in 4.7 as well, just 4.7 doesn't have the "Draw Settings" pane and you would have to use the "Tool Settings" pane there.