Is it just me or is the overall selection of mens clothing lacking?

cdemeritcdemerit Posts: 505
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Is it just me or is the overall selection of mens modern clothing for G1 & G2 lacking? Seems like it's about 4 pieces of women's clothing to 1 mans. and if you remove mens underwear from the mix, it seems more like 8 to 1.

Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems difficult to find unique outfits that aren't armors, fantasy elven hunters, or barbarian warriors types.

Comments

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,633
    edited December 1969

That is absolutely the case, and will continue to be. The market disproportionately buys women's outfits, and making a male full outfit is always more of a financial risk for the artist. Some of us would rather that was not the case (myself among them), but those are the facts.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,969
    edited December 1969

Which is a little weird to me, because male outfits often look nice on women.

Go figure.

• mtl1mtl1 Posts: 1,506
    edited December 1969

Which is a little weird to me, because male outfits often look nice on women.

Go figure.

Well, even then, you can often find "male" clothes fitted for women. :)

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,609
    edited December 1969

Yes. This is the case entirely. Although some women's clothing looks okay on men, daz store definitely does cater to the female clothing enthusiast and it isn't just daz. Other stores as well.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,726
    edited December 1969

I rarely render males in a scene, I use genesis one for any males, don't even have GM2 installed. But when do, i am fairly set with what i need for males, quality tees, polos, dress shirt, jeans, slacks and a a few jackets, then comes the armor sets.

• CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401
    edited December 1969

Greetings,

Oh no, it's definitely just you. In fact, it's a very common thread around here about how amazing the men's selection is, compared to the women's selection... Maybe one day it'll even out, but for now, enjoy the awesomeness of the selection of clothes for guys...

;)

-- Morgan

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,069
    edited December 1969

reflects real life, have you looked at the size of men's and women's clothing departments in actual stores?

• ghastlycomicghastlycomic Posts: 2,531
    edited December 1969

You got T-shirt, tank top, jeans, button up shirt, slacks, socks, a decent suit and shorts and you're set for a guy IRL from age 2 to 102. There just isn't a lot of variation to modern day men's fashion.

• ScavengerScavenger Posts: 2,664
    edited December 1969

And what's the deal with the long nosed shoes? Who wears flippers like that?

• mrposermrposer Posts: 1,128
    edited December 1969

Here is a look at some of the London Collections for Men Spring Summer 2015 ... maybe give some creative PAs some ideas. http://www.imageamplified.com/2014/06/london-collections-men-springsummer-2015-recap.html

edited December 1969

Simple styles are nice, but you have to have details like zippers, pockets etc. Just because it's plain doesn't mean it needs to be without detail.

I do futuristic renders, where fashion isn't so limited. Would love to see more variety in men's clothing. For example a male verison of the Rogue Outfit by Stonemason would be awesome.

3d art caters to fantasies of people, so while I do agree it is important to incorporate contemporary style, at the same time, it shouldn't be limited to contemporary wear by any means.

And what is good for the goose is good for the gander. Some sexy men's wear please. =-)

• GhostofMacbethGhostofMacbeth Posts: 1,607
    edited December 1969

Mr. Poser, I don't know anyone that would wear the majority of those clothes.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,069
    edited December 1969

Mr. Poser, I don't know anyone that would wear the majority of those clothes.

I do not see too many women on street dressed as DAZ girls either so besides the point :lol:

• NadinoNadino Posts: 258
    edited December 1969

MrPoser said:
    Here is a look at some of the London Collections for Men Spring Summer 2015 ... maybe give some creative PAs some ideas. http://www.imageamplified.com/2014/06/london-collections-men-springsummer-2015-recap.html

This has to be a joke. That line is hideous!

• SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,560
    edited December 1969

I laughed right out loud, those designs are absurd.

reflects real life, have you looked at the size of men’s and women’s clothing departments in actual stores?

^ This :)

I actually think that the majority of male sci-fi and fantasy outfits in the store are of better quality than those of the female ones. It depends on the creator of course, but I'm almost always more impressed with the male outfits I purchase than the female ones. I think what we need is not more male clothing, but more textures for the male clothing we already have. A good t-shirt mesh can be very versatile with transparency maps and new textures.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Nadino said:
    MrPoser said:

If it's not a joke, then I'm glad I live in a place where 'fashion' is jeans without holes and boots without manure on them...

edited December 1969

Greetings,
    Later on after the GARISH colors are two pictures which aren't so bad. Also, the half-kimono top in the 'kimono' set was actually not a terrible look. It looks vaguely robe-like, but if you choose your texture right it could be a decent top.

-- Morgan

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Cypherfox said:
    Greetings,
    Later on after the GARISH colors are two pictures which aren't so bad. Also, the half-kimono top in the 'kimono' set was actually not a terrible look. It looks vaguely robe-like, but if you choose your texture right it could be a decent top.

-- Morgan

Except...

Both of them are 'standard' stuff...jeans, shirt, boots and jacket...granted that black leather jacket isn't like what's available...but the rest is (other than color)...and black/white jeans are just texture choices.

edited December 1969

Greetings,
    Huh. We were just talking about... And DAZ put out, today... Huh. Timing is everything...! :)

Not bad. Not bad at all!

-- Morgan

• hzrhzr Posts: 207
    edited December 1969

It is so frustrating to look at the store and see only a handful of good looking gear and clothes for men.

If you fear things wont sell then please try to create something rather unique and stylish and I am sure it will sell, because people want to spend money on interesting looking things and not just another basic pant and shoes without any kind of detail to them. Take a look at this for some ideas :

https://www.pinterest.com/jacco55/sketch/

There are so many interesting and good looking setups, so maybe someone might get inspired by those and create something similar for the store. I dont wanna see anymore boring basic pants with clown like bulky shoes. There is an army of those already available.

• NadinoNadino Posts: 258
    edited December 1969

Cypherfox said:
    Greetings,
    Huh. We were just talking about... And DAZ put out, today... Huh. Timing is everything...! :)

Not bad. Not bad at all!

-- Morgan

I'm not so sure....

edited December 1969

The costs of the men's releases seems high to me. Even the discount 45% for three is low compared to recent sales.

As much as I like the men's outfits, I probably have to limit my purchases until the prices are a bit lower.

• Testing6790Testing6790 Posts: 1,091
    edited May 2015

Sickle nailed it, it's all demand.

You got T-shirt, tank top, jeans, button up shirt, slacks, socks, a decent suit and shorts and you're set for a guy IRL from age 2 to 102. There just isn't a lot of variation to modern day men's fashion.

As I sit here wearing a button down and shorts, the same outfit setup I wore on Tuesday... I can't argue that too much. For me, clothing is all about the utility morphs. There are dozens of shirts, skirts, pants, you name it. The ones that have unbutton morphs (Some even have cuff morphs!) are nice. The ones that have morphs for draping over chairs / sofas / etc when not on a figure are the real gold.

Post edited by Testing6790 on
  • icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    Nadino said:
    MrPoser said:

If it's not a joke, then I'm glad I live in a place where 'fashion' is jeans without holes and boots without manure on them...

Any male walking down the sidewalk in my town dressed like one of those pictures would either be arrested or shot. Holes in your jeans and manure on your boots aren't a fashion statement here. They're a work statement.

• Testing6790Testing6790 Posts: 1,091
    edited December 1969

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/56299/

Short answer is that's not gonna happen. Telling vendors to make something they are afraid won't sell well is a little... bold, I guess. I've tried making stuff before. It takes HOURS to make even something shitty. This is a significant income for some of them. You wouldn't ask a mechanic to work for free, why ask them to risk doing the same?

SickleYield, for example, says that he wishes this wasn't the case in the thread I linked. I'm sure he'd be one of the first to make something if he thought it was worth his time.

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,461
    edited May 2015

Nadino said:
    MrPoser said:

The whole fashion industry is a giant joke but the only people laughing are those carting wheelbarrows of cash to the bank. You have of course heard of the story of "The Emperor's New Clothes"? The fashion industry is that story on steroids except that the rubes haven't caught on yet.

The fact that the virtual clothing markets reflect the same trends says a great deal about humanity in general.

Just imagine the boring simplicity if clothing styles were limited by government decree. There have been, and are, a few real world examples.

I think the answer is some happy middle-ground where customers have brains and designers aren't insane. :roll:

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,750
    edited December 1969

It isn't really complicated, if we want to see more men clothes in the store, then male clothing has to get bought when its made available. PAs base their decision on what to make, by how much they make. Bottom line. They'll make more clothes for the Males in the future, if they sell a bunch of them in the present. It's purely a numbers thing.

edited December 1969

The challenge is, I think, if men's stuff doesn't sell, men's clothing won't be made, the potential buyers who might buy men's clothing have nothing to buy and hence don't shop here.

Yeah, I get that making stuff that doesn't sell is not worth the PA's time and that has been discussed at length and with frequency. I absolutely don't think people should do anything they don't want.

BUT there are people like me who do buy men's things. I may be in a minority, but I do exist. And I intend to buy all 3 new releases put out today. Just probably not all at this exact moment, because they seem expensive and I cannot afford all 3.

So we do exist. There is a small market.

edited December 1969

I should add, there is a fair amount of pressure on those of us who want to render men, to buy stuff men's content regardless of quality, style, content or whatever, to 'prove it sells' and make it worth the PA's while.

I admit, I dislike this.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,551
    edited December 1969

Remember that is isn't a case of "men’s clothing won’t be made" - it's that less male clothing is made. People do cater for the market, or their own taste, with products for the men so if demand picks up it will show to them and they will make more.