wear and tear

cherpenbeckcherpenbeck Posts: 1,411
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Hello everybody!
I've got a question about aging, wear and tear for clothing.
Like the women, wo look mostly like perfect, unblemished pin-ups, the wardrobe (men and women alike) lookes shining, new, never before worn.
How do I make it look real? How do you do it? Do you take the material files and change them, age the texture, or are there shaders you can use?
Or, do you render everything shining new and change it in postwork?

Yes, I did see shaders which give some grime or grit for figures, but it seems, they work just on one surface at a time. So I can get dirt on the arms of a person, but the clothing will not show any dirt at all. Then I apply the same shader to the clothing, but the dirty spots on the arms and the wardrobe don't fit together.

Besides, it's just dirt. Not wear and tear for clothing.

The most obvious too-perfect-looking part of the wardrobe are the shoes. I don't know about you, but my shoes never look so perfect except on the very day I buy them and wear them for the first time.

Any suggestions, please?

Comments

• mtl1mtl1 Posts: 1,506
    edited December 1969

Hello! There are a couple of ways you can do it:

- A geometry shell with dirt/etc with a slight offset so that it has some continuity with clothing and skin.
    - Altering the texture maps so it has a few worn edges. I suppose wrinkles can be added via a displacement or normal map too.
    - Custom morphs (exporting obj, sculpt, then reimport) but that's probably more complex than the above two methods

• cherpenbeckcherpenbeck Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think a geometry shell would only work with clothing which lies tight to the body, wouldn't it?
    Loose fitting clothing which morphs a lot would be better changed with tweaking the texture map, then.

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 7,018
    edited May 2015

http://www.daz3d.com/hybrid-grunge-bundle-for-daz-studio
    is always a good start.

But generally, LIE is a good way of getting stains, dirt and wear on your clothing.

Post edited by BeeMKay on