DAZ 4.8 Iray rendering

PinzelmeisterPinzelmeister Posts: 114
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

I recently noticed there was a new beta of DAZ Studio, installed it, started working with it, liked it immediately as usual, and realized before too long that I need a new video card. So I had one installed yesterday and have been working with it today. It appears to be (from the manuals lying around my desk) an EVGA NVDIA graphics card GEFORCE GTX 960 if that means anything; I'm still waiting for some fine-tuning to the installation before I start working through tutorials, render settings etc. The first thing I notice, however, is that a) the renders I am doing as trials look excellent; b) I can leave DAZ rendering a scene as usual, minimize it, but when I try to work in Photoshop (with DAZ rendering in the background) Photoshop slows to a crawl (i.e. this is a change from my previous video card). I'm working on a relatively up to date desktop computer, 64 bit etc . . . is there something else I need? Change settings? Add ram or something?

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

I recently noticed there was a new beta of DAZ Studio, installed it, started working with it, liked it immediately as usual, and realized before too long that I need a new video card. So I had one installed yesterday and have been working with it today. It appears to be (from the manuals lying around my desk) an EVGA NVDIA graphics card GEFORCE GTX 960 if that means anything; I'm still waiting for some fine-tuning to the installation before I start working through tutorials, render settings etc. The first thing I notice, however, is that a) the renders I am doing as trials look excellent; b) I can leave DAZ rendering a scene as usual, minimize it, but when I try to work in Photoshop (with DAZ rendering in the background) Photoshop slows to a crawl (i.e. this is a change from my previous video card). I'm working on a relatively up to date desktop computer, 64 bit etc . . . is there something else I need? Change settings? Add ram or something?

The problem is not your hardware...it's the fact that Iray, a new renderer that is the default in 4.8, is GPU capable. That means it, unlike 3Delight, is using your video card. And if Photoshop happens to recognize your card and want to use it at the same time...not gonna happen.

So, yeah, unless you are doing 3Delight or CPU only Iray renders anything else that may use the video card is off the table during a render.

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,128
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:

The problem is not your hardware...it's the fact that Iray, a new renderer that is the default in 4.8, is GPU capable. That means it, unlike 3Delight, is using your video card. And if Photoshop happens to recognize your card and want to use it at the same time...not gonna happen.

So, yeah, unless you are doing 3Delight or CPU only Iray renders anything else that may use the video card is off the table during a render.

If this is your only video card and DAZ/Iray are beating on it then it won't have many cpu cycles available for other trivialities - like updating the image on your monitor. I can't even get solitaire to work well while rendering. :-) My solution is to install a second video card for Iray and leave the current for just monitors. When I get some more money. Until then, I'm running Iray in cpu only most of the time.

• PinzelmeisterPinzelmeister Posts: 114
    edited December 1969

Right, thanks. That makes sense.