Manami strand based hair simulation, actor is upside down, hair tip always up

pixelquackpixelquack Posts: 265

I tried this: Manami hair (strand based), character is upside down, simulate: hair bends about 40°, that's it. Can I increase the hair's weight, in a manner of speaking?

Post edited by pixelquack on

Comments

• AgitatedRiotAgitatedRiot Posts: 4,233

Increasing gravity will do if you trying to make stand on end.

• pixelquackpixelquack Posts: 265

Could be an issue with this particular prop, see attachments: the actor is upside down, and no matter what I do, no matter how I tweak surface PS segment lenght or Constraints the tip always faces in the same direction, even when I rotate the entire hair prop.

manami_tips.png
    418 x 494 - 577K
    manami_tips_2.png
    547 x 318 - 499K
  • rosselianirosseliani Posts: 374
    edited May 2022

Basically here's how I managed to get this result:

1- I turned my character X axis =180 degrees and raised it to above the floor Y=+190.

2- I tweaked down a lot of stiffness and "guide" parameters in the surface tab.

3- Set the "Brow 01" and "Brow 02" sliders to 100 in the hair  "Actor" parameters ( I suppose "brow" means blow). This will prevent the hair to "stick" into the ears during simulation.

4- I moved my character progressively forward Z = -100 (minus because she's uside down) and upward Y = +500 in the animated timeline ( I used 30 frames, maybe it's better to use more frames.)

5 - My image is 2 frames before the end of the range

It is not perfect, I hope you'll find better settings. Unfortunately I didn't find a way to delete the problematic hairs within the geomerty editor.

Manami hair upside down.png
    537 x 593 - 184K
    Post edited by rosseliani on

I never looked at "guide", I'll see about that. But what I didn't do at all was "animated timeline" simply because I haven't covered that yet. I'll see what I can do here, thanks for the effort.

Another try with the default surface simulation parameters, only the "brow" presets.

Same method, moving the character forward and upward using the timeline range.

Manami hair upside down_2.png
    355 x 546 - 113K
    manami_01.png
    221 x 93 - 3K

Got any good links on learnign the animation timeline?

edited May 2022

I wish you a good luck and hope you'll be patient with the Timeline.

With dForce Hair, use the timeline only for the hair's behaviour's monitoring and  choose the best frame for your pose.

Adding or try to delete keys can lead to a real nightmare for the beginners, IMO the timeline bugs a lot.

In the simulation settings (Initialisation), set the *Start bones from Memorized Pose to "off " .

In the simulation settings ( Duration, Frames to simulate) choose Animated ( Timeline play range ).

Save your scene

Run the simulation

See what happens... then choose the frame that looks the best for you. Better save the scene again (or everything as a Scene Subset).

wish you good luck again!

Sorry for my "french speaking" english...

Ah, now I get it, at least part of it: you select marks on the timeline and move the character, then let dforce simulate from 0 to end and pick the spot in which the still image looks like you wanted?

Good advice, I'll play with that. I returned the hair prop, other props gave me results as expected with a button press but I got others I'd like to try. 

What do the keyframes do, though?

(All good with your english)

edited May 2022

pixelquack said:

What do the keyframes do, though?

https://renderguide.com/daz-studio-animation-tutorial/

Have a nice day!