How do you create a shadow catcher in Iray?

revenger681revenger681 Posts: 156
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I have the Yosemite environment sets, and I love using them with 3dlight. However, my new video card renders MUCH faster with it's 1600+ cuda cores and I'd like to use that engine with my HDR images. I've read in a few threads here that "shadow catching is automatic", I don't see this happening.

How can I make a plane that will be invisible and just draw a shadow where my characters are standing in the hdr environment?

Thanks!

Comments

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,964
    edited December 1969

Go into Render Settings > Environment, set Dome Mode to Finite Sphere w/ Ground.

You may have to set Dome Scale Multiplier to get the HDRI to merge decently with the foreground.

• Design Anvil - Razor42Design Anvil - Razor42 Posts: 1,235
    edited May 2015

Or see here how to apply the effect to objects:

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/56978/#830052

Excerpt from rbtwhiz's post

"1.) Select the object in the scene that you want to behave like a “shadow catcher”; in Iray these are called “matte objects” and they do more than just “catch shadows”
    2.) In Content Library pane, navigate to and load DAZ Studio Formats > My DAZ 3D Library > Scripts > Utilities > Create Advanced Iray Node Properties; this script is provided by the Default Lights and Shaders package
    3.) In the Parameters pane, navigate to and activate the Display > Rendering > Iray > Enable Iray Matte property

-Rob"

Post edited by Design Anvil - Razor42 on
  • jaebeajaebea Posts: 454

The excerpt from rbtwhiz's post was just what I needed, thank you!!!

• Yes but how do you also add shadow catch to other objects like walls that are invisible primitives you line up with HDRi features?

'in octane one ticks mat in a diffuse material for example what do you do with an Iray material is there a brick in shader editor?

• CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401

Greetings,

It's entirely doable; there's an advanced shader property you set.  I thought it was in rbtwiz's post, but I'm not sure anymore.  I did it with a reflection on a glass cabinet in an HDRI a bit ago...

--  Morgan

• ToborTobor Posts: 2,300

The matte object setting (also can be applied to lights) is how to do shadow catching in Iray Photoreal. It will work whether they are planes on the ground or elsewhere.

Depending on the overall look you want, you can also control shadow casting, on a per object basis, in Iray Interactive.