Iray or Octane or both??

EportsBladeEportsBlade Posts: 69
edited December 1969 in Technical Help (nuts n bolts)

Maybe this question has being asked already, if so, point me in the right direction.

The questions: Is there any difference between Iray or Octane render? Better or worse, or the same?

To my knowledge and understanding, Iray is part of the (Gpu Ray Tracing tech) engine of Octane. This information comes from Nvidia's GPU Ray Tracing partner web page.

My reason: I'm learning how to use Daz Studio, so I can add it to my collection of useful tools.
Right now, I use Octane in Poser. So I'm already set up for buying the Daz ($100) plugin for Octane. But as I asked above, do I need it or want it?

This question is directed to anyone who owns both. And of course to anyone who has the know how of both products.

Any info would be good, thanks.

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Iray and Octane are different render engines, but they are both unbiased, physically based, and can use CPU. GPU, or both.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,947
    edited December 1969

I do not have OrDS 2.2 with out of core textures only 1.5 so it is a case of will it fit on my VRAM, if so Octane is much faster, if a scene is too big geometry wise too iray will still render it with the CPU but very slow, Octane will not.
    You could just do a test using iray which is free anyway and loading same scene as an obj in the Octane render standalone or the Poser version to get an idea of times.
    Iray can also be set as the viewport renderer giving you an idea how fast it updates on your system.
    I am considering getting the Poser plugin one day too, would most likely do so in preference to updating my DS one, I use the Carrara one a lot.
    If DAZ had had iray when I got Octane I might have skipped the DS one but mainly as I find DS itself awkward.
    Dunno if this answers anything.

• EportsBladeEportsBlade Posts: 69
    edited December 1969

Thanks guys.

I did fine more info after digging around the forums a bit more. And it looks like the opinion is 50% of this and 50% of that. So, I'm still at step one. Making my own choice. Octane is lined up for a new release to version 3.0 at some point. The Octane Daz plugin is still in beta and is to my understanding, will not have a stable version until the 3.0 release.

The 3.0 version will have a ton of new visual toys to play with. They sound exciting too!

My conclusion: I'm sure, Iray is going to improve over time and shortly, the same for Octane too.

I think I will get the plugin. Just because I like having lots of choices/tools at hand. It's like having another paint brush to work with and what artist can resist a new paint brush. Resistant is futile :)

Thanks for the help

• nelsonsmithnelsonsmith Posts: 1,328

Just curious.  I find myself in the same position as you when this thread started.  Have you used both Octane and Iray, and what are your conclusions?

• colinmac2colinmac2 Posts: 407

I'm eager to hear about this, as I've been drooling over Octane renders for a year now-- but for $500?

• The only advantage of octane, presently, is the ability to network render, of course that increases the cost by 149 per additional unit, plus the added gpu cost.

The Iray server is still in beta and a bit twitchy.

The major draw back to octane is the GPU only as opposed to the IRAY cpu and/or gpu rendering ability.

Really as far as speed and quality, they are comparable. It's just going to depend on the scene and the hardware you can throw at it.

Oh and for those complaining about the price, i'll trade you the Octane 500 and raise you my Keyshot for 4500 per year.

• Silver DolphinSilver Dolphin Posts: 1,598

I think if we only had 3delight then yes Octane would be worth it, but the big butt reers it's ugly head: Daz Iray is free and Octane is toooo expensive for hobby use. If you are a professional artist then I can see spending money to make money but for home users it is throwing away money.

• AndyGrimmAndyGrimm Posts: 910

Octane 3 could be a reason to buy a license even for hobby use.

I am strongly missing volumetric EFX (clouds, fire and so on..) and Motion Blur in DAZ Iray. Also plugins for aftereffects and other plattforms are on my wishlist. and it seems Octane is ahead of Iray.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,914

Someone said that Octane is faster than Iray... I'd be curious whether that's true for most machines, or only higher end machines, or what.