Security Camera viewfinder Overlay

I am wondering if there is a product to add overlays to a scene as if I am shooting it through a security camera.  I would be interested in other POV lens shots as well if they exist, such as a surveillance photo overlay.

secsample.jpg
640 x 360 - 10K

Comments

• Couldn't you add the overlay afterwards in Photoshop/GIMP/etc? That would give you more control/flexibility too.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,877
    edited September 2022

It would definitely be better to add the overlay in post, because then you wouldn't have to worry about lighting it. After all, the overlay is independent of whatever the camera is capturing, so you wouldn't want the overlay to be subject to the lighting conditions and tone mapping of your render.

That said, the easy way to do this within DS would be to parent a plane to the camera, add the overlay as the diffuse map as well as the opacity map. As you can see, that doesn't get great results.

You could put in a little more work to get a cleaned-up mask of the overlay to drop in the opacity slot, but it still wouldn't be the best approach.

overlay.png
    1600 x 1200 - 1M
    Post edited by Gordig on
  • Thanks, folks. I have done it in post. Just wondered if there was another way! I appreciate the feedback!