Use of Rendered Images in Visual Novels

Hi

Apparently Daz 3d has some usage restrictions. I wanted to know if still images rendered with Daz 3d can be used in visual novel games.

Thanks

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

Yes.  There are no restrictions for the use of rendered images, with the minor exception of one or two older character pakcs.

• There are LOTS of comics and graphic novels out there using DazStudio and Poser content. 

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

And book covers...lots and lots of book covers. 

One of the regulars here on the forums is a cover artist and she has quite a large portfolio of covers she has done.

Basically, if it is a rendered image, it's yours to do with as you please.  That includes printed, video or game SPRITES.  If it involves usage of the actual 3D mesh...then restrictions kick in.

• SloshSlosh Posts: 2,391

Unless I misread, the OP is asking if it is okay to use still images in "visual novel GAMES"... not sure what that is, but it's still a game and I hope someone can give the OP a more concise answer as it applies to "visual novel games".  It is probably okay because it is a still image, not a mesh being used.  But let's clarify it as much as possible

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167

2D images, no restrictions except for Anna Marie Goddard texture on V3 and something else (forgot)

2D Sprites for Games, no restrictions except for "                                                                                "

3D Games, restrictions, you need to purchase an Indie dev
    http://www.daz3d.com/indie-game-developer-license
    or commercial license
    http://www.daz3d.com/commercial-game-developer-license

• Slosh said:

Unless I misread, the OP is asking if it is okay to use still images in "visual novel GAMES"... not sure what that is, but it's still a game and I hope someone can give the OP a more concise answer as it applies to "visual novel games".  It is probably okay because it is a still image, not a mesh being used.  But let's clarify it as much as possible

Yes. I have the same question. I work on a visual novel app platform where I can upload my own backgrounds into my visual novel. I am unpaid, this is a hobby, but as per their terms of use, the backgrounds have to be ok for commercial use. I am NOT a developer, the app is already developed, I am just inserted said backgrounds I made into the story which my characters will talk in front of. I tried to submit a ticket but I haven't recieved a response yet. The terms of use for daz are SO unclear, and I just dropped like $200 on material for this "hobby" and I am going to be pretty anxious if I can't use this stuff now.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

As Strat dragon has said, 2d images there are no restrictions (with the exception of the odd product like the Anna Marie Goddard clone)  

AS per the EULA  

Terms of Use. Two Dimensional Works. Subject to the terms and conditions of this Agreement, User may (i) access, use, copy and modify the Content in the creation and presentation of two-dimensional animations and renderings, (ii) incorporate two dimensional images (including two dimensional images that simulate motion of three dimensional objects) derived by User from the Content in User’s other works, and (iii) publish, market, distribute, transfer, sell or sublicense User’s two-dimensional animations, renderings and other works; provided that User may not in any case publish, market, distribute, transfer, sell or sublicense any renderings, animations, software applications, data or any other product from which any Content, or any part thereof, or any substantially similar version of the Content can be separately exported, extracted or de-compiled into any re-distributable form or format.