Color picker sampling

Hello, when setting a base color would be nice to drag the mouse to sample a color from the screen

Comments

• Interesting idea. makes you think something like that could be a quicker way of copying shaders too.

Regards,

Richard.

• My idea is to fine use it to quickly fine tune the skin base color, but if added to all the "select color" windows may be useful in many other scenario

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,293
    edited January 2023

Hold down the alt key. Hmm, now I can't remember how that works - there is a way to turn the pointer into a sampler, though.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • In my case I have a new texture for the face only (surface template 1) that is darker, so I was trying to quickly fix this with the base color, by matching the color of the rest of the skin.

• IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,126

CTRL+SHIFT then left mouse click the color bar on the surface you want to change.

Hold all three buttonsa down as you move the mouse to the color you want to sample. Then release the mouse button.

Must be in the DS programs window.

This is clunky, the color picked isn't accurate, and it's not easy to get the moouse to grab the pixel you want the color from.

Wouldn't this be a job for GIMP or photoshop?

Seems it would be faster and easier to just pick a color from one of the other body part textures and then pick what color on the face texture to replace with it.

• felisfelis Posts: 4,189

If you <shift>LM on the color bar, you can move your cursor around on the screen to select a color.

Although not sure that is what you wanted.

• IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,126

hmm, I've been using CTRL+SHIFT.

@felis is right, only need to SHIFT and left mouse button.

• leonardo_3285321dleonardo_3285321d Posts: 96
    edited January 2023

Every graphics software has the color picker in the UI (no obscure keyboard shortcut like Blender), should be quick to implement and can be useful.

Anyway base color wasn't working well to fix the skin. I used GIMP at the end with GMIC and a Color Transfer filter to have something that resemble the color of the rest of the skin.

Maybe... a color transfer tool integrated in DS?

Post edited by leonardo_3285321d on
  • felis said:

If you <shift>LM on the color bar, you can move your cursor around on the screen to select a color.

Thanks, I was being completely blank - and obviosuly didn't try that one, just all the more obscure combos.

Although not sure that is what you wanted.

• leonardo_3285321d said:

In my case I have a new texture for the face only (surface template 1) that is darker, so I was trying to quickly fix this with the base color, by matching the color of the rest of the skin.

So you ar really asking for colour maths - adjust the base colour so that, whenmatched with the texture, it is the same as another area. I'm not sure how that could work, given that if you are using a texture rather than a flat colour it's presumably because it varies from point-to-point.

• Yes, the base color idea was not working well because of that, but the picker still looks a nice feature to have (i would say a fully redesigned color picker with LAB, HSL, HEX, etc.. ) and a button to sample a color from the screen.

Yes, the base color idea was not working well because of that, but the picker still looks a nice feature to have (i would say a fully redesigned color picker with LAB, HSL, HEX, etc.. ) and a button to sample a color from the screen.

The shift-click already does the sample from the screen.

• I tried shift-click but is giving me crazy values when I try to sample from the viewport something with the iray preview

I tried shift-click but is giving me crazy values when I try to sample from the viewport something with the iray preview

It is literally sampling the colour under the cursor, so try turning off any colour correcting (gamma value etc.) in Render settings before sampling.