Looking for braidABLE hair...

Hey, all,

I've got a scene going in which I would like to show one character braiding another one's hair.  There is a lot of loose hair, and a LOT of (various styles of) braidED hair, but I don't see any of them with varying degrees of braiding which could be used to show someone braiding someone else's hair.

If I am missing something, please point me in the right direction -- I would be most grateful.

Comments

• Braiding hair is a pretty fleeting event, and the model needs to be part braided and part unbraided. I honestly don't think there is likely to be any hair like that. I think you would have to do a kitbash, take a braided hair model, make half a braid invisible by deletion or hiding, and then tack on a specific model of the unbraided portion to the end. This unbraided model would have to be created by or for you and will only fit into your particular scene. I don't think I can imagine something much different if you want it fully in shot. If the braiding could be slightly hidden from shot then a simpler approach could be taken. Strips of facets could be roughly posed and draped by dForce with a hair shader applied without needing to fully and accurately model the crossing over of the facets as the braid is created. It's not an easy thing to do, which is why I think it's not common. Regards, Richard.
  • This is fair.  I had an inkling along those lines of difficulty but wasn't sure if anyone had bothered to try to tackle it yet.

[disclaimer:  I've only been using Daz3d since October, so I'm a (relative) noob.  There is a lot I haven't (had time to have) played with, yet, and 3d modeling (Hexagon, Blender) is daunting at the moment.]

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,719

greywolf said:

This is fair.  I had an inkling along those lines of difficulty but wasn't sure if anyone had bothered to try to tackle it yet.

[disclaimer:  I've only been using Daz3d since October, so I'm a (relative) noob.  There is a lot I haven't (had time to have) played with, yet, and 3d modeling (Hexagon, Blender) is daunting at the moment.]

To be fair if you have never done any 3d modeling, the way everything works and looks in Daz Studio makes 3D look really easy since things work like they should inside DS. If you export DAZ 3D assets to a modeling app like Hexagon, Blender, 3DSMax or Maya, they do not come together and work like they do in DS,  you have to do most of the work fitting, moving and getting things to work together

• I'm finding Blender so difficult I don't even count as a noob, and I simply can't get on with Hexagon. However, I have modelled a few inorganic forms with other packages and got the results into DS. Not without difficulty, but I have managed it. Regards, Richard.
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,036

probably useless information but braids turned into grooms in Unreal Engine using the Hair Converter Plugin in Blender unbraid and rebraid

video click

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,719

richardandtracy said:

I'm finding Blender so difficult I don't even count as a noob, and I simply can't get on with Hexagon. However, I have modelled a few inorganic forms with other packages and got the results into DS. Not without difficulty, but I have managed it. Regards, Richard.

I feel you! I am fairly proficient with max and maya, but Blender still confuses the heck out of me (i try it out with each new version). I know I could probably figure it out if I watch every tutorial there is and practice till my fingers bleed, but I am big on intuition and figuring things out on my own and so far none of blender is intuative to me.

• There is this hair " 3-in-1 Low Ponytails Hair for Genesis 8 and 8.1 Females " which has loose and braided versions, so maybe you could work something out with it?

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,877

FSMCDesigns said:

richardandtracy said:

I'm finding Blender so difficult I don't even count as a noob, and I simply can't get on with Hexagon. However, I have modelled a few inorganic forms with other packages and got the results into DS. Not without difficulty, but I have managed it. Regards, Richard.

I feel you! I am fairly proficient with max and maya, but Blender still confuses the heck out of me (i try it out with each new version). I know I could probably figure it out if I watch every tutorial there is and practice till my fingers bleed, but I am big on intuition and figuring things out on my own and so far none of blender is intuative to me.

I know there's really no reason for me not to learn Blender, but I just hate using it. So much about the interface feels like it's different just for the sake of being different. 

• That's precisely what I feel. The normal conventions have become conventions because they save time and leverage existing knowledge from other programs. Blender seems to have ditched them to spite an authority that exists only in the imagination of the programmers. The next thing I find desperately frustrating is the lack of written tutorials. I find video ones utterly hopeless. This comes from a combination of being high tone deaf and being un-used to the various dialects and accents of English in use. Means I usually simply can't understand a word the tutorial giver says and the YouTube video resolution is insufficient to make up for its lack. Regards, Richard.