Tree House content item is a hoot

Look carefully at this, especially the ladder going up.

http://www.daz3d.com/summer-tree-house-deluxe

The ladder goes up the side just fine, but there is no termination support at the top.

What do your charcters grip when the reach the top?

The ladder side rails should extend above the landing by at least four feet and be supported.

This way the people will have something to hold onto until they can put their feet on the deck

Also, when exiting people can grasp support rails at the top, turn around and go down the ladder.

.Open vertical ladders are dangerous at best, but this would not be workable.

Yeah, I know who cares if the characters have to reach the top and crawl onto the upper deck with nothing to grip.

No way, that kind of entrance makes sense on such an elaborate house structure.   "Stairs at minimum" should be used.

Maybe, an elevator... LOL

Comments

• I agree that it's a lovely set.  It could use promos from a few more angles instead of 2 on the birdhouse, but it looks really good.  And yes, the ladder fails to meet OSHA compliance standards.  I would actually extend the entrance bridge to another tree or structure.

Unfortunately it's something that A) I have no need for, and B) I'm really cheap and would wait until it was around $10. (bound to happen eventually)

• I agree that it's a lovely set.  It could use promos from a few more angles instead of 2 on the birdhouse, but it looks really good.  And yes, the ladder fails to meet OSHA compliance standards.  I would actually extend the entrance bridge to another tree or structure.

Unfortunately it's something that A) I have no need for, and B) I'm really cheap and would wait until it was around $10. (bound to happen eventually)

I have had to climb off a ladder onto a four story building several times, and we always had to extend the ladder about 4 to 5 feet above the rooftop.

It was too dangerous having to crawl off the ladder or onto it, without some type of support to hold onto.

I suspect this artist has never done that.  LOL

Regardless, it is cute

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,914

I can't imagine it would be terribly hard to add something to the ladder, either using one of the included wood textures or something from elsewhere. For what it's worth. ;)

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,800
    edited August 2015

The thing that's hard to ignore is the fact that there's way too much weight for the limited supports to actually hold the house up.  It would have been questionable if the supports were metal, but with wood?  Consider that the kitchen has stone walls and counters as well as a stove, refrigerator and sink with plumbing, add in the weight of the tower and yet there are no cross supports across the bottom and most of the outside walls are all clearly just logs attached together by the sides with no cross bracing...  Yeah, this would probably collapse in the first serious windstorm if not of its own weight.  My guess is that this started off as a design for a cabin and then got retro-fitted to be treehouse without a re-think of the design requirements.   

Post edited by Cybersox on
  • It probably wouldn't be too much trouble to model a support rail of some kind but yeah, I didn't notice the ladder issue until this thread mentioned it, lol! I can't think of anything I'd be able to use this set for but it's a really neat model set nonetheless.

• wizwiz Posts: 1,100

The entire structure is impossible.

• There are vertical log walls that just stop, unsupported, above and below a long window and several other windows and openings.
    • Do not think too long about what is supporting (or not supporting) that enormous deck. Not a single cross-member in sight.
    • The ladder into the bedroom has the same problems as the ladder up to the deck.
    • What holds up those safety rails? I use that term loosely, because US code says real safety rails need spindles or slats with a maximum of 4" spacing. Other countries are similar.

For a minute, I got the creator of this item confused with the similarly named creator of the "fantasy fort", another item that literally is impossible to build.

Have a look at this awesome treehouse site to get an idea how things are really done. http://www.treetopbuilders.net/

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,084

There have been a number of items in the store in the past year or so that fail the functrionality test. The 'fantasy fort' mentioned by wiz, above. Any number of four-wheel carts and wagons that have NO clearance for the front wheels, so it is impossible for them tro turn. The recent 'mad max' style motorcycle tricycle with the entire engine hanging un-supported off the front. And there is probably more, but those come to mind currently. I just cannot suspend my dis-belief enough to purchase any of these - even though most are quite good looking if you can overlook the fact that they wouldn't be useable in the real world.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,866

If you're using the image of the entire tree house, you might have depth of field anyway and it's no big deal with that.  Or only a partial view. I like the interior.

I don't like having to buy all the props that go inside the home separately, but I can see why that was made an option- to keep the house price lower in case someone didn't need the interior.

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167

it's a great looking model but the promo needs a kid at the bottom of the ladder nursing a broken arm.

• DarkSpartanDarkSpartan Posts: 1,096

I can't imagine it would be terribly hard to add something to the ladder, either using one of the included wood textures or something from elsewhere. For what it's worth. ;)

The ladder would be easy to fix with any modeler and a little patience-- grab the polys that make up the end of the posts and pull upwards. Adding the supporting understructure required to hold up the kitchen alone would cause major problems with the exterior aesthetics.

A retexture of the floor and countertops would help, but you'd still need a lot of bracing just to get it up there, never mind make it habitable.

If this was a treehouse initially, I expect it was intended for kids, especially with the short ladder. To put a huge house up there, complete with all the trimmings, you'd have to be nuts. I love the interior-- it'd do great on a concrete foundation. But up there with no more than a few two by fours holding it up, it'd be a deathtrap.

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,270

Obviously it was built on a low-gravety planet. Or in a low-gravety universe. Rather like the Poserverse, actually...

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,318
    JOdel said:

Obviously it was built on a low-gravety planet. Or in a low-gravety universe. Rather like the Poserverse, actually...

Or the trees in that universe are very light and make very strong timbers.  And the nails or other fasteners are super strength.

But who am I to complain.  The DAZivers makes possible all sorts of exaggerations and implausabilities.  Just wallow in the fantasy.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

It's supported by the same miracle glue as many of Vicky's outfits.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    JOdel said:

Or the trees in that universe are very light and make very strong timbers.  And the nails or other fasteners are super strength.

But who am I to complain.  The DAZivers makes possible all sorts of exaggerations and implausabilities.  Just wallow in the fantasy.

After a careful analysis, I confirmly state that the 'logs' are really a covering hiding welded and riveted steel beams and girders...with the house itself being constructed of foam logs over top of a lightweight steel framing...otherwise it would have fallen over due to the lack of crossbracing on any of the uprights or any kind of support structure for the floor.

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,800
    edited August 2015
    mjc1016 said:
    JOdel said:

After a careful analysis, I confirmly state that the 'logs' are really a covering hiding welded and riveted steel beams and girders...with the house itself being constructed of foam logs over top of a lightweight steel framing...otherwise it would have fallen over due to the lack of crossbracing on any of the uprights or any kind of support structure for the floor.

And the stove, refrigerator, sink as well as all of the lights are all styrofoam replicas... which only makes sense since there don't appear to be any external powerlines or plumbing.  However, that does beget the question that I really have to wonder about... would a house with a sink with running water and a fridge with an icemaker have no toilet facilities? Or is that what one of the external platforms is for?  

Post edited by Cybersox on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited August 2015
    mjc1016 said:
    JOdel said:

And the stove, refrigerator, sink as well as all of the lights are all styrofoam replicas... which only makes sense since there don't appear to be any external powerlines or plumbing.  However, that does beget the question that I really have to wonder about... would a house with a sink with running water and a fridge with an icemaker have no toilet facilities? Or is that what one of the external platforms is for?  

then you should mind which way the wind is blowing,

Post edited by Chohole on
  • SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,518

Didn't realize we had so many structural engineers, OSHA inspectors, and architects around here.

Try to remember that a real person put a lot of time and work into this product. You want something that meets exacting real-world specifications, you're either going to pay through the nose for a custom 3D job or you'll have to do it yourself.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

Didn't realize we had so many structural engineers, OSHA inspectors, and architects around here.

Try to remember that a real person put a lot of time and work into this product. You want something that meets exacting real-world specifications, you're either going to pay through the nose for a custom 3D job or you'll have to do it yourself.

No, I want a little more attention to plausible details...some of which are critical.

This is the level seen in freebie content (actually many of the missing items details ARE present in quite a bit of free content)...not something that costs $30!

Needless to say I will not be buying this...

• DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 2,882

I was watching Human Planet the other day... the new tree house made me think of the houses of the Korowai people...

• IceEmpressIceEmpress Posts: 639
    edited August 2015

So, are Jack Tomalin's, Stonemason's, and Maclean's structures up to OSHA standards?  (the ones that aren't falling apart, I mean, LOL)

No, I want a little more attention to plausible details...some of which are critical.

This is the level seen in freebie content (actually many of the missing items details ARE present in quite a bit of free content)...not something that costs $30!

Agreed 100%  Though wires are very rarely found in 3D models of any quality due to the difficulty in rigging (and in the case of wires running along a wall, like what would be realistic for a model like this treehouse, for aesthetic reasons as well) 

Then again, how many lamp or phone models do you see with a plug-in cord?  How many full modern building scenes do you see with electrical outlets?  Not very many, but that's mainly because few people are interested in that level of detail.

But yeah, the architectural integrity and appliances that require central plumbing are the absurdities, and not the lack of electrical wiring which, let's be honest, few people care about, esp. outside of scene close-ups.  Mind you, I'm not suggesting nor demanding that artists install plumbing pipes running up and down treehouses like this, simply that the plumbing facilities shouldn't be there in the first place.

Speaking of, let's not miss the fact that SOMEONE had to drag a toilet and a refridgerator up there!   Unless they hoisted that stuff up using a crane, that is.  Would that even work?  Doesn't that sort of heavy machinery require a sturdy and level surface?  I mean, engineers always lay the foundation first before building. 

There have been a number of items in the store in the past year or so that fail the functrionality test. The 'fantasy fort' mentioned by wiz, above. Any number of four-wheel carts and wagons that have NO clearance for the front wheels, so it is impossible for them tro turn. The recent 'mad max' style motorcycle tricycle with the entire engine hanging un-supported off the front.
    Which other vehicles?  I'm guessing the Carriage House is one (but let's be honest, it's an absurd model anyhow, so who cares as long as you don't have it Milhorse 1 or two-drawn.  Yeah, with how low the handles are, you'd better plan to have it drawn by a whole bunch of giant Noggin's rats...)

Post edited by IceEmpress on
  • ThatGuyThatGuy Posts: 794
    edited August 2015

Why stress about what's missing and not done right?  If it's not up to your standard then don't buy it.  There's another thread about the British phone not being done right.  Perhaps the vendors made these things the way they want them to look like and not necessarily how they should look.   Anything IS possible in 3D fantasy scenes and props, like some of the "poses" out there that are quite impossible to achieve IRL.  I have no use for this so I'm not buying it, but appreciate the work and effort that was put into it. 

Post edited by ThatGuy on
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,914

Vendors, I will confine myself to saying I, and many others, appreciate the generally thankless job you do for a very small amount of money (if you are lucky), and hope you don't let certain attitudes get you down.

• IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,122

Just wait until you guys are introduced to the steampunk world.You think you have engineering issues now LOL

• macleanmaclean Posts: 2,438
    Then again, how many lamp or phone models do you see with a plug-in cord?  How many full modern building scenes do you see with electrical outlets?  Not very many, but that's mainly because few people are interested in that level of detail.

I've made quite a few lamps with (morphable) cords and plugs, and all* my houses and rooms have electrical sockets (* Without actually checking every product, I'm 99% sure of that)

The balance between absolute reality and usable 3d models is tricky. How far does the modeller go before reaching the point of huge-poly models with masses of detail no one notices or cares about? I fully agree that models should be as realistic as possible, and I frankly admit that some of my products made 10 - 12 years ago don't match today's standards, (I've updated many older products for that very reason).

Price is another thing to bear in mind, and considering the average price of products in the DAZ store, I think the customer definitely gets their money's worth on most items. The more detail in a model, the more it will cost.

mac