Some help with my renders.

I was wondering if I can get come help with my renders?
I have a couple of concerns:

1. I was also wondering where I can get backdrops/backgrounds and skyboxes(?) like: http://www.daz3d.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/2/3/23-alone_1_3.jpg
I tried looking for some in the store (although I find it more difficult to search through the store since it seems there are less ways to narrow my search)

2. I was wondering if someone can help me with some coloring? I made this character: http://orig14.deviantart.net/be7d/f/2014/190/0/f/xaessya___final_version_by_xaessya-d7pp3ki.png which I tried remaking her with Genesis 3/Victoria 7 and I can't quiet get her skin and hair colors right: http://imagizer.imageshack.com/img661/2012/wBQf1C.jpg I was wondering if someone can help me get the right shade of blue and/or help make the hair look better? The hair I used was Leyton Hair for Genesis 3 Female.

Comments

• DarkSpartanDarkSpartan Posts: 1,096
    edited August 2015

You neglected to mention whether you were using Iray or 3Delight for these. For 3Delight, you want a Skydome, and there's a pile of them in the store as "Skies" or "Skydome."

For Iray, you need to either use Scene Only with a Skydome, or find a nice HDRI to use as both environment and backdrop.

As for the skin, you might want to consider adding a bit of red.

Post edited by DarkSpartan on
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

Which renderer are you setting her up for?

If it's Iray, then did you manually convert (apply the Iray Uber) or are you relying on an autoconversion?

What base shader was the old version set up for (DS Default, AoA or UberSurface)?

The hair, looks like a transmap problem...if that is an Iray render, then most likely the 'guess' as to gamma correction for the transmap is wrong.  It needs to be set to 1 (not 0 or 2.2)...click on the image for the map, in the Surface and bring up Image Editor.  Set the gamma to 1.0 and Stnadard.

• TsuzuraTsuzura Posts: 119

Ah excuse me, this is Iray render.

You neglected to mention whether you were using Iray or 3Delight for these. For 3Delight, you want a Skydome, and there's a pile of them in the store as "Skies" or "Skydome."

For Iray, you need to either use Scene Only with a Skydome, or find a nice HDRI to use as both environment and backdrop.

As for the skin, you might want to consider adding a bit of red.

I'll give it a try.
    Also looking up HDRI helped alot! Thank you!

mjc1016 said:

Which renderer are you setting her up for?

If it's Iray, then did you manually convert (apply the Iray Uber) or are you relying on an autoconversion?

What base shader was the old version set up for (DS Default, AoA or UberSurface)?

The hair, looks like a transmap problem...if that is an Iray render, then most likely the 'guess' as to gamma correction for the transmap is wrong.  It needs to be set to 1 (not 0 or 2.2)...click on the image for the map, in the Surface and bring up Image Editor.  Set the gamma to 1.0 and Stnadard.

Excuse my ignorance but I do not know understand what your talking about.

Where to begin...

The shaders are not usable, directly, between the two renderers in Studio, so you can either manually apply the Iray base or rely on Studio autoconverting it.  How well it does an autoconversion and how faithful that conversion is to the original depends on what the original base shader was.

In the case of skin textures the base shader can have various default SSS (subsurface scattering) settings that will greatly influence the conversion...often shifting the tone toward the red or blue end of the spectrum, depending on what those settings were.  Doing something like was mentioned above (adding red) can undo that influence...or knowing what was originally used and removing it there can do the same thing.  You can find out the shader used by selecting one of the skin surfaces in the Surface tab.  Up at the very top of the list, right under Editor, it will be listed.

For the hair, look at the various items listed in the Surface tab...look for Opacity (in 3Delight) or Cutout Opacity (I believe that's what the transparency maps get converted to for Iray) and click on the little image icon.  It will bring up a dialog box...Browse, Image Editor, Layered Image Editor, etc...click on Image Editor and set the gamma correction to 1 and standard.

When I tried coloring the hair I tried just cloring over sections of hair with a solid brush color, was that a good way to go or should I have done it a different way?

The skin I used was Summer for Victoria 7 and I just tried changing the diffuse color the blue (it work when I tried it on Genesis 2) then I tried color correction in Gimp which got me where I am today.

• FistyFisty Posts: 3,416

Best way to recolor hair is to apply the lightest color preset it has available, white if it has one, or light blond if not.. then add the color you want to the diffuse color channel in the surface tab.  (Or base color if it's an iray surface)  If you're tinting a blond preset you'll need to make your added color a bit more on blue side than you're intending so it cancels out the yellow of the blond color.

• FistyFisty Posts: 3,416

Or if you're gonig for something subtle like auburn then chose a medum brown preset and make the diffuse color pink or medium red, might need to go a little towards orange.

If you really want to change the color in an image editing program then use the paint brush but do it on a seperate layer above the original texture and then set the new layer to "color" when you're done.  You can also play with "overlay" and "multiply", duplicate the layer if you want, sometimes a combination of 2 or 3 of those layer settings combined at different opacitys will make nice results.

I would start by creating a 4096 x 4096 image of the blue color you want, then using a standard G3F/V7 Iray skin, substitute all the diffuse maps for the skin surfaces with that blue image.  And tweak it from there.

I do want to think you guys because your advice did help me with the model (among other things too)

But now I have trouble with the lighting and IRL/HDRI. I attached 2 photos for me doing a render with Milkyway and Helipad Afternoon IBLs from here http://www.hdrlabs.com/sibl/archive.html ; and they turn out kind of blurry. I was wondering on how to fix/edit this? I tried playing with the controls in the render settings but with no luck.

RenderEdit Image.jpg
    556 x 720 - 178K
    trh.png
    556 x 720 - 360K
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,964
    edited September 2015

Personally, I would start without an environment map and use sun to start with. Once that looks right, then try various HDRs. I've found them hugely variable in quality and usefulness in lighting.

At this point, I almost never use HDRIs except for some very specific portrait ones, because they are so frustrating; I'd rather just set lighting and put a wall or something behind. Even just a plane with a wood shader is enough.

Post edited by Oso3D on

How do I add the sun lighting?