Shade 15 - is it possible to upgrade later?

Shade 15 is new at the DAZ Store and the price for the basic version is really good. But I want to know, if i can later upgrade to higher versions like the Standard or the Professional Version?

Comments

• I was just thinking this same question.  Budget right now is "basic".

Does anybody know the answer?

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,879

Don't know about DAZ, but otherwise you can upgrade/crossgrade at the shade3d website.

• I did some more research and I even looked at some of the posts in the Shade 3D forum and user art that appears in their gallery.  Without going into details, I feel comfortable delaying a purchase for now, although maybe I'm passing up a good thing on the basic version.  But I want to pick up Scott 6 and leave some funds available for the PA sale.  I know that there will be other Shade 3D sales anyway.  In the meantime, Blender will do all I need for modelling tasks; I just need to spend more time with it.  smiley

Definitely interested in the results others can get with Shade 3D, however.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,157

I asked a question about 4 days ago on their own forums with no response yet so that tells me I probably wasted my money and may ask for it back.  The program is nice and all and does allot but with the lack of support, that's pretty bad.  We all complain about the lack of documentation with DAZ Studio but at least the forum support here is A OK!  I mean 4 days and not one person responded?  Kinda bad if you ask me!  angry

• naoura7naoura7 Posts: 4

Hi RAMWolff, 

Seems you got some answers on the Shade Forum ; ) 

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,157

That's weird. I just checked there not an hour or so ago.  Thanks! 

• HorusRaHorusRa Posts: 1,663
    edited August 2017

-

Post edited by HorusRa on

Oops forgot to mention, on the other hand it could be a really good modeling program. Who knows. Blenders free though. cheeky

• naoura7naoura7 Posts: 4

Well, there is a free trial demo, you should give it a shot and see how comfortable you feel with it ; )

edited August 2017

-

Post edited by HorusRa on
  • Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995

I've uesd Shade3D since before v10.  Shade is different.  The mindset behind it is definitely Japanese.  Once you can power past the cultural UI differences, Shade can be quite the tool.  There is little in the way of help/tutorials especially in languages other than Japanese.  It is a tool that will require some time for "trial and error", so don't expect to hop into it and get good results in 20 minutes.

Kendall

• Consumer573Consumer573 Posts: 282
    edited September 2015

I said this in another thread (not sure which one) but I really liked shade and was with it in the pro version from 5-14.

It was originally offered (when I got it) as a tag along freebie with Poser 5. It complemented Poser as a good modeling software and had a Poser cross-link (Could insert items into Poser and vice versa) that made it special.  It also came with an English physical soft-bound manual, which turned out to be important.  The tutorial on how to get started in Shade going step by step through the basic functions was really, really good.  In fact, I believe those tutorials in 5-8 are still applicable, it is just the menu locations of some of those functions have changed, plus a lot has been added. They helped me get through the hurdle and into 3D modeling in general.

If Daz would invest in a soft-bound manual (do it PDF and allow people to buy it with one of the on-demand publishers) it would go a LONG way to jump starting it again.

I dropped Shade because the manual was out of date and it was becoming  impossible to find things on my own. And when I went to the forums for what I felt were simple requests there was no response.  The moderator at the time told me to log onto Facebook as that was where all the activity was, but I never got that far as I felt it was a dying proposition.  I gave up on it.  The irony is the software itself is not lagging, I feel it is the communication to English speaking audiences that limits it the most.

My biggest complaint as a user, however, was 'false holes.'  You could create a through-hole in shade that would work while you were in shade, but if you exported your block with the through-hole, all you'd get was the block.  This was a pain for creating things like windows in buildings that you wanted to export into Poser via obj, its principal means of exchange. The documentation told you how to do things in Shade that were sometimes proprietary routines for gaming that didn't translate well.

Other than that, I felt it was a very efficient modeling complement to both the Daz and Poser software and a package that really gives Hexagon a run for its money.

I'd go back to using it again if there was a really good manual for it. In fact, if there was a 14-15 manual I'd buy it separately right now.  But meanwhile, I'm learning Lightwave.

Post edited by Consumer573 on
  • RCTSpanky said:

Shade 15 is new at the DAZ Store and the price for the basic version is really good. But I want to know, if i can later upgrade to higher versions like the Standard or the Professional Version?

You need to go here : http://shade3d.jp/en/products/shade3d/buy.html?utm_source=Newsletter&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=Shade3D%20Newsletter%20%2340