Custom Content

When I say "Custom Content" I mean content I created myself, particularly skin MATs. They Don't show up in my Content Directory, even when I put them in the correct path - or what I believe is the correct path.

Documents>MyDaz3d Library> Runtime> Textures> DAZ> Genesis3 Female> Karen7

I would like for them to show up in the "Materials" sub-folder so i dont have to go digging around everytime I wanna use them. Can anyone tell me how to do this?? I don't get why It's now working. If there is already a tut' on it please link. Thanks!

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

That looks like the path for raw image files, not texture presets.

Have you saved out an actual preset, once the images are manually loaded?

• myutogarumyutogaru Posts: 60
    edited September 2015

No, I havent loaded them onto my figure, I just assumed I could place them in the directory and they'd just *poof* into place.

is it essential to save the MAT as a preset on G3F, or is that just for the Icon?

Post edited by myutogaru on
  • LeanaLeana Posts: 11,392
    myutogaru said:

is it essential to save the MAT as a preset on G3F, or is that just for the Icon?

The material file is what will apply the textures to the figure

• Not just the plain texture images, they also set values for all the parameters in the Surfaces tab.

It's a long-standing confusion dating back to the Poser days, the texture image files and the materials setting files have frequently both been called just "the textures" with no clear distinction of which is being talked about.

• Okay, so i apply the MAT and then click "Save as... Material Preset"?

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited September 2015

Once you've applied the texture images, don't forget all the other parameter values in the Surfaces tab — if all you do is apply the textures then save the preset, you'll have a bunch of parameters at full on or full off (the default values) that probably shouldn't be.

And yes, "Material Preset" is the right option.

One other gotcha that can trip up newcomers; where are you saving the preset to, and how? If you use File menu>Save As, then you must manually navigate to your content location and find a folder to save the preset into. If you use the Content Library tab (navigate to a folder and use the "+" button at the bottom) then you're automatically saving into a recognised content location. This isn't as important as making sure the texture images are in a proper /Runtime/Textures/ folder, which I see you already did, but it does make it a bit more difficult to lose track of your saved files.

Post edited by SpottedKitty on
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

Also, Studio will remember the last location you saved to...so say you are saving presets for a certain outfit and then you change to a different one, if you use the File > Save As route, by default, it will be saved to the LAST location you saved to, unless you manually change it.

• To keep things tidy, you want to make sure that you set up for DS.  In your My DAZ3D Library folder, drill down in People to Genesis 3 Female and the Materials folder.  Add a folder and name it what you want to find it as, "My Character" or whatever.  Now go to Runtime>Textures and create a folder with your name to identify it and nest a folder with the name of your character as well.  Put all the textures in this folder.  Do this with Studio closed so it will read the new folders when it opens.

In DS, you will have the G3 figure loaded and then the surfaces tab open and apply all textures to the correct surfaces.  Navigate to the folder you made in the Materials folder in G3F.   In the presets field below, use the plus (+) sign and add material preset.  It'll ask you where, navigate to the same folder you created in Materials and name your preset.  In the pane that opens, checkmark all surfaces that apply and save.  You should see your preset there.

• Thanks everyone! I appreciate the help