Help, drowning.

sambucussambucus Posts: 42
edited September 2015 in New Users

I`m about ready to give up on DS4.8. I`ve not used it much despite having some content, prefering to stick with Poser and Vue. However I decided to give it a go, got 4.8 and DIM and set up the file path to Documents/ Daz 3D/ Studio/ My library. When I use thw installer all seems to go fine but the content doesn`t appear in the Smart Content panel. I tried loading them into Content folder manually with same result.

The puzzling thing (to me, anyway) is that if I click on Content in My Library, I get another page with more folders, including another Content and if I click on this, there` s another Content folder there. All three seem to have some files. Is this normal? Which one should be active? And why are the folders in the Content folder named differently to the libraries in tthe Panel?

I guess not all content is smart. Yes? Where does that go? It`s not in the other Content Panel. Sorry if this is confusing. Think how I feel. And I know similar questions have been answered here but nothing works for me. Why can`t Daz use something more like the Poser system?

Going to lie down in a dark room until some kind person helps me out.

TIA

Post edited by sambucus on

Comments

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,918

go to your task manager and then processes and see if ContententManagementServer is running.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,582

If you have folders named Content inside your content folder and each other, the items are installed incorrectly.  Can you post these 2 screenshots:

1) In DS, Edit > Preferences > Content Library > Content Directory Manager, expand the "DAZ Studio Formats" and "Poser Formats"
    2) In DIM, on Ready to Install tab check the "Show Details" box in the lower right

• Many thanks to Frank0314 & Fixmypcmik.

Frank, the ContententManagementServer is not showing in task manager properties.

Fixmypcmik, hope the pics are clear enough. Should the Poser files look like that? That many? Still poser is no problem (with Poser content.

Thanks again, Alan

Snap 2015-09-02 at 20.44.18.jpg
    509 x 887 - 162K
    Snap 2015-09-02 at 20.46.56.jpg
    900 x 294 - 61K

Let's start with the content installed by DIM.  If you go to the Content Library pane > DAZ Studio Formats > My DAZ 3D Library, do you see content icons in folders there?

• Yes, there are some there. this is the folder I tried first until I read that My Library was the accepted path. My Poser stuff is in this folder too.

Good.  In addition to "DAZ Studio Formats", "Poser Formats", and "Other Formats", does it also show "Products" and "Categories"?

• Yes. The catagories contains just "default" while products contains a list of numbered folders containing files.

Okay, good, that means the CMS database is working.  Click on the rectangle with horizontal lines in the upper corner of the Content Library pane and choose "DB Maintenance > Re-Import Metadata".  It will give you a list of all your products that were installed by DIM, just leave them all checked and click the OK button.  It will take a few minutes to run through them all.  When it finishes, see if Smart Content is working.

• Really appreciate your help on this, Mike. It`s running through them now.

Great, once we've got your Smart Content sorted we can work on cleaning up the other stuff.

• Did that, ran a Daz file through dim into My Library. No show in Smart Content.

Have to leave it for now, Mike, but If you don`t mind I`ll bother you another time with it.

Thanks again, Alan

• Should clarify. Smart Content is working forthe stuff alreadt in there but none of the stuff I tried to put in recently.shows up.

Does DIM show "PostgreSQL CMS" as installed?

• Yes, there are 2 entries as installed. PostgreSQL CMS and PostgreSQL CMS from Valentina CMS conversion.

From that Content Library pane options menu (the rectangle with horizontal lines in the upper corner), if you've made your own custom categories or tags, choose "Content DB Maintenance > Export User Data".  If not, you can skip that stop.

Then do "Content DB Maintenance > Reset Database".

The try Re-Import Metadata again.  If it doesn't seem to be working (doesn't give you the list of products, or if it finishes in a few seconds), Reset Database again and try again.

• That all went well. The  content panes both look good and I`m sure there is stuff in the Smart Content that wasn`t there before. My failed attempts at installing earlier, maybe.

Can`t thank you enough, Mike. I want your babies. Going to bed now. It`s 4.30 am here in London. Bloody computers LOL.

• sambucussambucus Posts: 42
    edited September 2015

Me again. Spoke too soon. Although the libraries appear much tidier, I still have trouble getting new content to show up in the panes.

I can put the new DS content manually into Documents/Daz3d/Studio/My Library which is the path the software is supposed to see but it doesn`t show up in the Smart Content pane.I just cannot load DS content into DS. The items in the Smart content pane bear no relation to anything in the Docunents etc folder and vice versa.

Sorry to bother you again.

Alan.

Post edited by sambucus on

If you manually install content, make sure there isn't a folder named "Content" underneath "My Library".

The metadata that makes the files show up in Smart Content needs to be re-imported -- DIM will do that when it installs, but if you install manually you need to re-import manually.  The metadata will only be found by DS if the Runtime folder is directly underneath the folder DS is looking inside -- "My Library/Runtime" will work, "My Library/Content/Runtime" will not.  If the product doesn't come with metadata, it won't show up in Smart Content.

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

Use DIM to install.  Clear out everything in Studio's Content Directory Manager, you have nested libraries up the whazoo.  Add the install path from DIM under both Studio and Poser formats.