In praise of Octane render 4 Carrara

WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,952
edited September 2015 in The Commons

i am posting this here as no-one who is not already using it and loving it will read it otherwise.

and I think there are things for other rendering engine developers to take note if they want to woo me to theirs as well.

i dabble with Iray sometimes but what if lacks (coupled with my general dislike of DAZ studio's animation tools) sends me back to to even 3Delight if an image or Carrara otherwise.

do not get me started on OrDS 1.2 and the upgrade path, lack of active development etc

first, and foremost, we have a plugin developer, Sighman, who is active in the forums which is possibly the key as customer feedback on what is wanted can be implicated etc is what gets the tool users want.

iray was a total surprise sprung on us and not a lot of developer discussion with the plebs on what else is wanted.

now secondly, interactivity while rendering

none of the other plugins or engines do this but in OR4C you can do things on the fly

the interface is not locked up after rendering commences, too dark, turn up the sun power, too sharp the shadows, increase sun size, yes DS Iray does it active viewport but not once you hit render. And for an animation rendering to file in DS Iray it's hit and miss.

carrara I can fiddle with the scene too as it is rendering and see it in the next frame of an animation, scrub back a few frames and fix colliding cameras, etc jumping into shader room and fiddling with my emitters risks an error has occurred but that's to be expected, sometimes even there I get lucky.

also great, for example, my scene is loaded on my 980 ti and it's under 2GB of memory and rendering frame 2 has 5 hours remaining, so I can see I can jump into devices and tick my 760 on the fly and the animation speeds up to 4hours 30 mins as I do not need the full 6GB for that scene so both cards can contribute.

if it's over 2GB my 760 stays unticked.

Now the clincher

dynamic hair

Carrara has dynamic hair and it works in Octane!!!

that alone should of had everyone running to buy Carrara at least long ago IMO

and wait there's more, replicators, Carrara's begin all and end all answer to instance get also works in Octane.

so

What are you waiting for, first grab Carrara it is affordable

get the Octane demo, yes there's a demo

what was I saying about OrDS nevermind

try the demo and save your pennies, you will prob want to give up smoking and or alcohol for a while, it may even help you quit when you get a taste and see the price, if you already have Octane render standalone the big bit of the purse buying the Carrara plugin should be a piece of cake, who needs that night at the concert anyway, if not then Octane is a tad expensive but prob less that that extra video card you were thinking of for Iray anyway, it can wait.

there, said my bit now maybe some of the converted can add some renders if they venture out of the Carrara forum, I do animations and YouTube not em beddable so click my sigline

a Vimeo one

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

Comments

• Good to know thats working for you.

Can you use the OOC memory feature with Octane for Carrara? If so people could use video cards with less memory and have larger scenes without upgrading so much. Assuming they have a solid cuda card and system specs anyway.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,952
    edited September 2015

Yes out of core

thanks for reminding me, that is awesome if many textures and or a lesser nvidia card

carrara had it in the latest builds before DS did too

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited September 2015

Thats one of the reasons Octane is so great. It's not tied directly to Nvidia, so it does have features to allow users to milk their system without buying a Titan or what not. For those who can afford to that's great, but I actually render some big scenes with my 2GB because of that OOC feature. In my case I get no noticable slowdown when rendering, and others have said the same. However there was oen user with slower PCIe (maybe even pci...) connection that said OOC did slow down his renders.

Regardless I encourage people to try it :)

I see you added a video, was that direct lighting?

Post edited by larsmidnatt on
  • Yes I do not do unbiased much for animation

and I forgot another plus

Octane shaders in Carrara can be saved like any other Carrara shaders and so can the live database ones which is just as well as replacing my motherboard I lost live DB and may need to do a clean reinstall one day when not busy but have my 800 odd shaders saved in my presets just cannot get new ones, but I can create my own and save them using Carrara shading room or node editor.

• nothing wrong with direct lighting, but it's good for people with discerning eyes to know that so they don't question if octane is really unbiased or not ;)

I haven't used the liveDB in a long bit, but it's a great place to get started. might show people a bit about how to set up nodes.

• EveniosEvenios Posts: 119

cool. The problem though is OctaneRender is just so pricey.......for those who have the money sure but for many of us who may be just hobbiest. it is not really worth 300 bucks for the base program plus any addon..   But im glad it seems to work well for you.   Its a shame that Octane Render is not more updated for DazStudio and less costly.  oh well!

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited September 2015

price is always relative. so its a tough subject. especially when most of the DS users got it when it was beta....and I mean the core octane program. most of the OcDS users have been there since Octane itself was beta...so pricing was far different then.

Now I probably would not even consider it because of price...but once I got hooked in beta...i fell in love. I had 96 cuda cores back then...now over 2400...

btw the thing I try to explain and get grief for, octane is not for casuals. It is for pros...it just happened many of us got it when it was beta and cheap. So it is designed to be out of reach for hobbyist...but I dont want to dirty Wendy's lovely thread. And I apologize but feel its on topic for Evenios comments.

Post edited by larsmidnatt on
  • I paid full price and not only that it will cost me another 39 euro to upgrade to 2 for the DAZ studio plugin which was no cheaper than any other plugin AFAIK so I use 1.2 which does not support my 980ti I have a 760 I use if I need to use OrDS.

they brought out the latter plugin a week after I bought mine for the price I paid which was very shitty luck, I do not have a lot of incentive to shell out more with the Australian dollar plummeting either I use Alembic export to the standalone (got the abc exporter for DS on sale) if I have to and can add to exported Carrara scenes too, just a shame I need to redo all the textures and cameras an issue there.

Working with the standalone with obj import not bad either for that matter.

i use Ol ready cam LUA script for flyarounds in static scenes and placement nodes to move stuff if imported separately also Carrara replicators use the scatter nodes so can combine Carrara and DS exported scenes.

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,787

Definitely worth considering yes. What's the content/scene you're using in the video? 

• I also have OR4C and I have not only just upgraded my Titan Black to a Titan X, but also upgraded all of my Octane Renderer and Carrara Plugin to the Latest Version (from 2.06), and all I can say is wow.......WOW.... awesome render speeds, fantastic optimisation options, The Plugin is super smooth, .

Love it..

Now is only DAZ would add a smoothing modifier to G2's within Carrara, I would be completely made up.!!!

S.K.

• Taozen said:

Definitely worth considering yes. What's the content/scene you're using in the video? 

Merlins wild boarder

Octane not fond of carrara's trees but mesh trees amnd plants even with transparency it loves and can replicate thousands.

Taozen said:

Merlins wild boarder

Octane not fond of carrara's trees but mesh trees amnd plants even with transparency it loves and can replicate thousands.

How does it respond to Howie's scenes?

• Taozen said:
    Taozen said:

Merlins wild boarder

not well with the carrara trees

in fact impossible for me except Harpsburg

but if you swap out the trees

country lane with Dinoraul's norfolk island pines

or save as mesh depending on your RAM is possibe

most max out my RAM but after heavy polyreduction in UUW3D got a version of the Tea garden in

I had to retexture most of it and you can see how low poly the meshes are
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,952
    edited September 2015

oh I found a new trick today for animations

I can use spherical cloud renders on big spheres like Carrara renderer but instead of glow channel you use tramsparency NOT alpha channel and it keeps diffuse image in render and can rotate them for moving clouds and as not IBL like background it renders fast and still casts moving cloud shadows.

Taozen said:
    Taozen said:

Merlins wild boarder

not well with the carrara trees

in fact impossible for me except Harpsburg

but if you swap out the trees

country lane with Dinoraul's norfolk island pines

or save as mesh depending on your RAM is possibe

most max out my RAM but after heavy polyreduction in UUW3D got a version of the Tea garden in

I had to retexture most of it and you can see how low poly the meshes are

Yea, Howie's scenes with all those trees are pretty heavy on the system. The Alsace/Harpsburg video looks really great. Must have taken a long time to render these videos?

• no not really

certainly not compared to Carrara native render

I use between 10-50 samples for most for animation as if full HD not much difference viewed on youtube anyway

emitters and indoor scenes cause fireflies and those need longer but outdoor easy can fly through at 10 samples indirect lighting

Sounds good, rendering speed is a main factor to me. How's the Octane demo, time limited or feature limited or what?

• no limit on time just cannot save image or render animation

no limit on time just cannot save image or render animation

OK, well that's also enough to give an impression of its potential and rendering speed. Well definitely give it a try when I've finished my current deadlines. Thanks!

• DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,706

I've got to agree, Octane Render for Carrara is an outstanding plugin! It's much more interactive than Iray in DS, and a real pleasure to work with. I don't have any great videos to post, but here are a couple of still renders.

Awesome!

• DustRider said:

I've got to agree, Octane Render for Carrara is an outstanding plugin! It's much more interactive than Iray in DS, and a real pleasure to work with. I don't have any great videos to post, but here are a couple of still renders.

wow very nice.

If only would octane a little cheaper :(

And Genesis 3 works in Carrara