LuxRender 1.5 Released

LuxRender 1.5 is now available. More info below:

http://www.luxrender.net/wiki/New_in_1-5

Here's hoping Reality 4.1 isn't far behind.

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

A few weeks longer on RC1 than I expected, but no RC2...so September it is (as opposed to my original guess of early October...).

And...

SWEET!

• nDelphinDelphi Posts: 1,850
    mjc1016 said:

And...

SWEET!

Sweet indeed. I am waiting for the update to Reality. I hope it is released soon.

• Excellent news. Anyone know if this works out of the box with Luxus, or will an update be necessary?

• ScavengerScavenger Posts: 2,664

This is that new superspeed version?

• Nyghtfall3DNyghtfall3D Posts: 765
    edited September 2015
    Scavenger said:

This is that new superspeed version?

Yup.  And when Reality 4.1 is released, DAZ and Poser uses will be able to use it.

Post edited by Nyghtfall3D on
    edited September 2015

Excellent news. Anyone know if this works out of the box with Luxus, or will an update be necessary?

No, I don't think all the new features will work out of the box...but if we knew what the syntax for the commands was, we could use the 'extras' features of Luxus to add them. 

It would be a lot easier if there was an update to add them, though...especially some of the new materials features.  And clipping plane (the new clipping plane is very much like Iray's).

Post edited by mjc1016 on
  • BobvanBobvan Posts: 2,652
    edited September 2015

Meh I think will be lucky if we see it by Christmas. Meanwhile I am delving into iray..My Reality/ lux experience is coming in handy...

What I find intreresting is no one that plays with other programs such as blender ect has confirmed this apparent lightning fast improvement.

Post edited by Bobvan on
  • Ghosty12Ghosty12 Posts: 2,004

Will be interesting to see how it goes because at the moment I have stopped using Iray after my 570GTX died on me while using it..

That sux. I purchased as Asus ROG 24G laptop with a 4G 980m card renders go alot faster then 6 to 10 hours with lux.

• The inclusion of Iray in DS 4.8 was enough to finally get me putting an Nvidia card in my rig, but LuxRender was my first and dearest :D I look forward to many new Lux renders.

Bobvan said:

Meh I think will be lucky if we see it by Christmas. Meanwhile I am delving into iray..My Reality/ lux experience is coming in handy...

What I find intreresting is no one that plays with other programs such as blender ect has confirmed this apparent lightning fast improvement.

I doubt it. Possible, but I think the waiting game with the Reality update has been largely contingent on Lux 1.5. My vague guess is sooner rather than later.

• ghosty12 said:

Will be interesting to see how it goes because at the moment I have stopped using Iray after my 570GTX died on me while using it..

Heat death? I'm monitoring my new baby very closely. Will be very sad if anything should happen to her so soon.

• Jim said:
    ghosty12 said:

Heat death? I'm monitoring my new baby very closely. Will be very sad if anything should happen to her so soon.

If there was a general pattern of GPUs dying using Iray we'd know - I suspect Ghosty's was on its last legs anyway and it just so happened that an Iray render was going on, and perhaps just pushed it over the edge.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,715

Cards will wear out quicker using them for rendering, providing it is a lot of rendering; they are consumer cards and not meant for the long-term wear that prolonged and extensive rendering gives; rendering pushes a card more than gaming on average.

• nicstt said:

Cards will wear out quicker using them for rendering, providing it is a lot of rendering; they are consumer cards and not meant for the long-term wear that prolonged and extensive rendering gives; rendering pushes a card more than gaming on average.

Please can you provide a quote from NVidia that confirms this - or is this just a personal point of view?

• Jim said:
    ghosty12 said:

If there was a general pattern of GPUs dying using Iray we'd know - I suspect Ghosty's was on its last legs anyway and it just so happened that an Iray render was going on, and perhaps just pushed it over the edge.

Oh, yes I'm sure that would be the case. Like I said, I've been keeping an eye on temps and am pretty happy with how my fans are configured.

• nicstt said:

True that, but as long as you aren't cooking your processors they should still llive a long and healthy life.

Jim said:
    nicstt said:

True that, but as long as you aren't cooking your processors they should still llive a long and healthy life.

That's the key...heat will kill a card quicker than anything (well, lightning strikes excepted).  I've had 1 old Quadro card fry when it's fan died...as in extra crispy and a 'consumer' card that is still chugging along quite nicely (yeah if it gets too hot, it will shutdown) without a fan at all.  So it isn't really the 'pro' vs 'consumer' cards.  It's a whole host of things...but the one common factor for the longevity of a video card...HEAT.  Keeping it cool, no matter what it is doing is the key to giving it a long useful life.  That will mean regular cleaning (and with most cards those enclosed fans are really a big pain when it comes time to clean them)...even a thin, barely there, layer of dust on the heatsink will cut down its effectiveness, dust on the fanblades...same thing.  Heat buildup inside the case...not good for anything.

Jim said:
    ghosty12 said:

Not quite sure on that but from having GPUZ running the card seemed to be running at normal temps, just not sure what normal temps are for a 570GTX would get to 60 but with extremes being about 70 degrees but that was about it and you could tell it was working hard as you could hear the fan going nuts..

Either way I was running a simple render and went off to do something else while it rendered. When I came to check up on it the screen size had shrunk and when I went to restart the system I got red dots all over the screen during boot, and when in windows I would get bad artifacting. And more so when I tried to play a game the artifacting went from bad to extremely terrible so I knew the card had met its end..

Currently I now have a 650GTX TI card that a kind friend gave to me and since I could not (and still cannot) afford a new card I don't want to kill this card that I have right now..

mjc1016 said:
    Jim said:
    nicstt said:

That's the key...heat will kill a card quicker than anything (well, lightning strikes excepted).  I've had 1 old Quadro card fry when it's fan died...as in extra crispy and a 'consumer' card that is still chugging along quite nicely (yeah if it gets too hot, it will shutdown) without a fan at all.  So it isn't really the 'pro' vs 'consumer' cards.  It's a whole host of things...but the one common factor for the longevity of a video card...HEAT.  Keeping it cool, no matter what it is doing is the key to giving it a long useful life.  That will mean regular cleaning (and with most cards those enclosed fans are really a big pain when it comes time to clean them)...even a thin, barely there, layer of dust on the heatsink will cut down its effectiveness, dust on the fanblades...same thing.  Heat buildup inside the case...not good for anything.

Would be the case as when the 570GTX was in my old I7 920 system the case was one of those cheap cases with terrible ventilation would often have the side off to get air going in the case, so that did not help, but as before the 650GTX TI I have been given I want to keep as I can't afford a new card right now..

• mtl1mtl1 Posts: 1,501
    acanthis said:
    nicstt said:

Please can you provide a quote from NVidia that confirms this - or is this just a personal point of view?

The more a semiconductor product is run at full load, the more thermal energy it dissipates and thus reducing its thermal budget. That's discounting the normal wear and tear of mechanical parts such as fans, TIM, etc.

*All* semiconductor products fail eventually.

mtl1 said:
    acanthis said:
    nicstt said:

The more a semiconductor product is run at full load, the more thermal energy it dissipates and thus reducing its thermal budget. That's discounting the normal wear and tear of mechanical parts such as fans, TIM, etc.

*All* semiconductor products fail eventually.

And it's those mechanical parts that are the weak links...because in most cases once they go, it's all over...and the question is regular or extra crispy?

edited September 2015
    Jim said:

The inclusion of Iray in DS 4.8 was enough to finally get me putting an Nvidia card in my rig, but LuxRender was my first and dearest :D I look forward to many new Lux renders.

Bobvan said:

I doubt it. Possible, but I think the waiting game with the Reality update has been largely contingent on Lux 1.5. My vague guess is sooner rather than later.

The Mestro himself admitted on his board that he is still battling bugs with 4.1. He has been promising "soon" since late        April. If you read his tweets he states that he close to the final shape on july 18th then tweets Sept 1st that the semi final build has been sent for beta testing. In any case I too dropped off the tower to have a 4G nvidia gpu to replace my 2G AMD fire pro since it will work both for iray and lux. I love being able to use the iray draw style on my laptop..

Post edited by Bobvan on
  • Call me a an optimist :D But yes, given the history of Reality delays and development hiccups my words may be a little whimsical.
    edited September 2015

It's only due to past history, ask MJC when the Maestro promised a few weeks back in late April I drank the cool aid and believed it. Fool me once & all that... Sides there are fan boys that say there is only Reality. I am sick & tired of 6 to 10 hour render times. As mentioned above what kind of toll do you think uber long times take on one's machine..For me this will make or break carrying on with Reality. depending that it lives up to the hype and nor simply break even with the times I had using R2. This was experimenting with iray draw 9 minute render times. http://fav.me/d97fina I need to learn more but promising none the less..

Post edited by Bobvan on

And back then I said I'd be surprised if the Luxrender update came out before October...because, the usual path is about that long.  So color me surprised.

It's not a question of if...but rather when and who is being too optimistic on the timeline.

Luxrender being OpenSource with a relatively small development team is not the speediest updater on the planet (not the slowest...not by a long shot),  But when working with multiple platforms and trying to maintain some measure of backwards compatibility, it's going to take time.  And on top of the new features in Luxrender, there are a ton of new things in Studio that will make additional work for any exporter.  It's just not going to happen, overnight.

edited September 2015

I admit you were right like told you I would if you were. As previously mentioned, I have yet seen anyone confirm this great speed increase on either forums. I can't believe that only Reality 4.1 and Lux 1.5 will be faster..

Post edited by Bobvan on

I haven't had a chance to try it anywhere else yet...but one of the 'test' scenes in the RC1 that I did run, was faster...I didn't compare how much, but it did come together a lot quicker.  Overall, though, the RC was not as polished as usual and had some other slowdowns on some scenes.  Maybe over the weekend I'll get a chance to run some scenes.  I haven't run it from Blender in a long time, so I don't have any Blender scenes from before to compare with.

• Pose2Lux should work with it too or not?

i might reinstall Reality for DS one day now I have Octane on a separate build of 4.7 to my 4.8 public build, the two just slowed loading too much together.

mjc1016 said:

I haven't had a chance to try it anywhere else yet...but one of the 'test' scenes in the RC1 that I did run, was faster...I didn't compare how much, but it did come together a lot quicker.  Overall, though, the RC was not as polished as usual and had some other slowdowns on some scenes.  Maybe over the weekend I'll get a chance to run some scenes.  I haven't run it from Blender in a long time, so I don't have any Blender scenes from before to compare with.

Cool man let us know in either case its good to have more tools to work with. Nothing stops us from rendering by layer of lets say something that looks better in one or the other then blending them in PS or GIMP. By having good nvidia gpus in both machines, I will be able to take advantage of both...