Venice

Has anybody bought the new Venice product and if so how well do you like it? Does it render well in 3DL? I am interested in the subject matter but am not overly impressed  by the promo renders; and because it is a Rev-Up item it wouldn't be rerurnable if I don't like it.

Thanks for any input,

Charlie

Comments

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,871

I don't have it myself (although I was very tempted), but just for the record: according to what vendors have said in the forum, if a promo image says "Daz Studio render" and nothing else, it's 3Delight. nVidia Iray images are labeled as such. Therefore, it would appear that all but one or two of the images are 3Delight, since they say "Daz Studio Render"; maybe the other two are Octane or Lux or some such (although, honestly, I would assume that they're unlabeled 3Delight, because all of the images look similarly rendered).

The reason I didn't get it is because it looks like all four buildings are a single prop, and can't be detached from each other.

• That's a perfect example of a risky item. Over $20 for an item I'm unsure of, from a vendor I've never heard of. It also proves why the "no returns" policy during sales is actually bad for some vendors. You can't impose a 'no returns' policy and try to introduce new vendors at the same time... smh 

I didn't buy it, so I can't share any insights on it. Hopefully someone who frequents the forums decided to roll the dice on it and can offer up some opinions or renders for you smiley

• LindseyLindsey Posts: 1,985

I had 4 Rev-Up's so I sprung for Venice for $12.58.  Here's a render in 3delight lit with a BWC Skies dome and light set.  Nothing fancy, load Venice and Sky dome, positioned camera and rendered.

Venice 3Delight.jpg
    1830 x 897 - 371K
  • I intend to buy the set today, but looking at the fiel list does suggest that there are separate parts for the buildings - though it isn't clear exactly how they fit together. I'll post an update if I remember (and have time).

... regret passing on the Gondola for $5.99 that showed up in Fast Grab on Monday.  Need to go find me a bridge now!

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,447
    edited September 2015

There are three separate buildings - the backs are all blank, the sides of the building from the middle and the matching sides of the end buildings are also blank, the fronts and the exposed sides of the end buildings have walls. So there's some potential for kit-bashing without breaking out a modeller, certainly.

Venice buildings.JPG
    1003 x 813 - 147K
    Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006

Good thread ... for those who may be interested in making innards:

Years back we had some professors who would tour during their summer vacations and then hold special after school classes to show off their slides. Funtime :-)

Anyhow, in Venice, for their historically old 'jails' ... you would not want to be the prisoner in the lower basement rooms. You could see the water marks on the wall as the levels changed throughout the year. Eventual death by drowning while shackled to a wall.

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,281

Try Ponte Maggiore. Has a nice old world look to it. Although there are others out there. I suspect that somewhere someone even has a model of the famous Bridge of Sighs.

edited September 2015

I found a bridge in 3DU's Sandy Bay Seaside, but everyone on the gondola is going to have to duck going under the bridges.

Venice3Delight03.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 411K
    Post edited by Lindsey on
  • Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,643
    edited September 2015

Thanks, everybody, for your comments and especially the renders.  They were very helpful and I shall probably go ahead and take a chance on the product.

Charlie

Post edited by Charlie Judge on
  • SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited September 2015

Could've sworn I'd read somewhere that this set had Iray materials. Not to worry, it's pretty straightforward to convert everything, with the small gotcha that the water surface and the mud at the bottom of the canal both need a tiling setting of 100. Renders nice and quickly with the default Iray environment light, too. Have to try a nighttime lamplit scene some time. And finish Iray-ifying the gondola I bought a few days ago.

yes   yes   yes

Iray render after only about 60 iterations; it'll probably take a while to clear the fuzzies on the water surface.

Venice-01.jpg
    1700 x 1190 - 577K
    Post edited by SpottedKitty on