Rendering seems slower

Yet another question! For some reason my renders (using 3delight) seem slower than they did a couple of days ago. I used to be able to surf the net while it rendered but now it struggles, the render using up almost all my cpu. This is quite a new computer, so it's not a sign of it slowing with age, and nothing much has changed since it was faster. Also I noticed that when the render first appears, it is pixillated then gets clearer, which I'm sure it didn't used to do. I think I've altered a setting again somewhere without realising. Any ideas?

Comments

• KA1KA1 Posts: 1,012
    Have you switched progressive rendering on?
  • Yes, it's on in Render Settings. I don't know what it does, could it be slowing things down? I don't remember changing it.

• I turned progressive render off, and it rendered much quicker, without the pixillating as well. Still uses up more or less my full cpu, don't if that's common for rendering or not.

The pixillating was from being progressive, not sure about the rest, mine with reality 4 3delight and iray always maxing out cpu though!!
  • What sort of lights are you using? Progressive Rendering isn't just a generalised "go faster" switch, it enables renders to run faster when the scene has fairly complex lighting. Simple lighting setups will see no speed-up, or might even be slower. It's also very much dependent on how big and complicated the scene is, and what sort of shaders the materials use.

• What sort of lights are you using? Progressive Rendering isn't just a generalised "go faster" switch, it enables renders to run faster when the scene has fairly complex lighting. Simple lighting setups will see no speed-up, or might even be slower. It's also very much dependent on how big and complicated the scene is, and what sort of shaders the materials use.

I'm not sure what counts as complex when it comes to lighting. But usually I use a distant light and a few spotlights. Maybe five or six lights in total.

• That might or might not be enough. FWIW, I usually turn on Progressive whenever I use an UberEnvironment or more than one or two AoA Ambients in a scene.

• So far I've only used basic lights (as far as I know!). I've not looked into UberEnvironment or AoA (not even sure what they are). I prefer to go for speed rather than photorealism, so maybe I'm better of sticking with the basics? I wouldn't want a render that takes hours, although obviously there are many on here who don't mind that.

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 7,018
    SteveM17 said:

Yet another question! For some reason my renders (using 3delight) seem slower than they did a couple of days ago. I used to be able to surf the net while it rendered but now it struggles, the render using up almost all my cpu. This is quite a new computer, so it's not a sign of it slowing with age, and nothing much has changed since it was faster. Also I noticed that when the render first appears, it is pixillated then gets clearer, which I'm sure it didn't used to do. I think I've altered a setting again somewhere without realising. Any ideas?

Did you upgrade to Windows 10? It's possible that Win10 is broadcasting itself in the background, hogging your bandwidth.

Apart from that, 3Delight always used the full 100% CPU, so even with a fast computer, you'd experience some delay when using other programs.

You can solve this by changing the number of CPUs assigned to render in the Taskmanager, when you are doing surfing. 

• I haven't upgraded to 10 yet. As for the CPU being maxed out (I believe that's the term?), it's not a massive problem as long as my renders don't take a long time, which they usually don't as they're fairly simple compared to other renders I've seen.

• KA1 said:

Mine is off and it's taking eternity, and I have just the default lights (I didn't add any)... :(

taemimun said:
    KA1 said:

Mine is off and it's taking eternity, and I have just the default lights (I didn't add any)... :(

It'll heavily depend on the complexity of your scene, whether you are using raytracing (assuming it's 3Delight) and a lot more besides. Depending on the scenes I created I could from a render taking minutes for a portrait with no background to a day (back in my 3Delight days!) iRay and entirely different matter, even if I have a scene within my gpu memory capacity it can take hours to render depending on lighting etc
  • KA1 said:
    taemimun said:
    KA1 said:

It'll heavily depend on the complexity of your scene, whether you are using raytracing (assuming it's 3Delight) and a lot more besides. Depending on the scenes I created I could from a render taking minutes for a portrait with no background to a day (back in my 3Delight days!) iRay and entirely different matter, even if I have a scene within my gpu memory capacity it can take hours to render depending on lighting etc

Thank you for your answer! I will reply now in the other thread :)