Dual Monitor Layout blowup cause?

I'm wondering if anyone else has seen where if you open an application in the 2nd monitor of a dual monitor setup and you open DS it will not show any of the saved workspace positions in that monitor and unless you saved your workspace at some point in time you loose any changes you made to the location of workspaces and custom menus. In this instance I use Blender on my 2nd LCD which is set to landscape. my primary LCD is set to portrait.

I can reproduce this nearly all the time and I've submitted several bug reports since I began using 4.x but at this time I've only gotten no response or a response to the effect Daz3d could not reproduce this.

1) Open an app that uses the 2nd LCD exclusively 

2) With that app open, open DS

3) Workspaces in 2nd LCD are not shown.

I'm on latest version from DIM.

Comments

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241

Not seeing the problem here.  I opened wordpad and placed it to fill the 2nd monitor.  Opened DS, which has a window covering much (but not all) of the 2nd monitor.  It opened fine, see screenshot.  (was that the correct test?)

screenshot, 2 monitors.png
    3520 x 1200 - 486K
  • sriesch said:

Not seeing the problem here.  I opened wordpad and placed it to fill the 2nd monitor.  Opened DS, which has a window covering much (but not all) of the 2nd monitor.  It opened fine, see screenshot.  (was that the correct test?)

Thanks Sriesch.

when I had it happen I had Blender running in the 2nd LCD (landscape) full screen.

I loaded it as soon as I booted into Windows,

then opened DS

my Nvidia drivers, Blender and DS are all up-to-date.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,954
    edited September 2015

Odd I have all my windows floating around undocked in groups on my second monitor and use many programs simultaneously and the only time I have lost them is accidentally closing one before exiting then had only to re drag them over and rejoin the groups

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • I did lose my windows swapping monitors though when I unplugged them and swapped had to briefly rearrange order in my nvidia control panel to fix.

• jaebeajaebea Posts: 454

Everything stays the same for me.  Any windows I have floating in the second monitor when I last closed, come right up when next I open.  Very handy!

• Interesting, I think mine are all docked in the 2nd LCD. But my 1st LCD is rotated 270• 

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,715

What makes you think it failed due to being a 'dual monitor setup'?

That implies that the other monitor somehow caused it to fail; sounds incredible.

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167
    edited September 2015
    nicstt said:

What makes you think it failed due to being a 'dual monitor setup'?

That implies that the other monitor somehow caused it to fail; sounds incredible.

Because with 1 monitor I'm unable to reproduce it - And I'm not implying conclusively this is the reason, I have been  providing information to determine if there is a pattern or trigger .

Read the first post; there is an application present in the 2nd monitor when the instance happens so implying the "other monitor caused it to fail" is not correct; the presence of the other App running may be the root of the conflict. 

Post edited by StratDragon on

Have you tried with different gfx cards; try the on board video on the cpu if it will cope.

Did it happen after a gfx card update; try uninstalling all drivers (Display Driver Uninstaller.exe is great for this - you will need to let it reboot into safe mode) is good for this as manufacturers installers can leave crap behind. I'd uninstall drivers before trying a different card, preferably from a different manufacturer; if that is not possible, try an older set of drivers available prior to daz 4.8; can you revert to 4.7? Then you can see if the issue stops; it doesn't mean it is Daz 4.8, but it is suspicious. :)

Troubleshooting is always a problem; determing if what we are seeing is a symptom or a problem. Trying to rectify a symptom is pointless, and what you have might be something along those lines; hard to say without seeing it tbh.

• nicstt said:

Have you tried with different gfx cards; try the on board video on the cpu if it will cope.

Did it happen after a gfx card update; try uninstalling all drivers (Display Driver Uninstaller.exe is great for this - you will need to let it reboot into safe mode) is good for this as manufacturers installers can leave crap behind. I'd uninstall drivers before trying a different card, preferably from a different manufacturer; if that is not possible, try an older set of drivers available prior to daz 4.8; can you revert to 4.7? Then you can see if the issue stops; it doesn't mean it is Daz 4.8, but it is suspicious. :)

Troubleshooting is always a problem; determing if what we are seeing is a symptom or a problem. Trying to rectify a symptom is pointless, and what you have might be something along those lines; hard to say without seeing it tbh.

my board does not have built in video. The issue has been present since 4.0 so it's been a litany of GPU drivers from Nvidia and I always choose Clean Install after removal of the previous driver set.

nicstt said:

my board does not have built in video. The issue has been present since 4.0 so it's been a litany of GPU drivers from Nvidia and I always choose Clean Install after removal of the previous driver set.

Not saying it's an issue, but it is not unusual for old bits of drivers to get left behind, why I suggested you use Display Driver; it is very good at removing everything.

http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html