Lower Res Background Figures?

DekeDeke Posts: 1,623

I know I asked this before, but can't find it when I search, so here goes again. How do you make a lower res figure for a background "extra" in the scene. Could be wearing the same uniform, only lower res.

Comments

• DekeDeke Posts: 1,623

I was referring to a regular character I'd make from g2 or whatever with wardrobe and hair...and then somehow save that at a lower resolution for use in the background.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,582

You can reduce the SubD level on background figures and ake sure HD morphs are turned off.

• turning to base resolution may be enough and if not you could decimate the figures to even lower poly depending on need. there are lots of paths/tools to do that. If you only need one, than base resolution may be enough (base resolution is 1/4 the resolution of a non-hd character at sub-d 1). But if you needed 20, then decimation would be handy.

• You can convert a figure to a prop which reduces the RAM that they take up.  Doing this, however, prevents you from posing the figure or modifying their morphs or adding clothes/hair to them after they have been converted.  If you need to make a crowd you can then take these props and use create node instances on them to effeciently clone them without using up too many system resources.  I can post detailed steps if you're interested in this approach.

• You can convert a figure to a prop which reduces the RAM that they take up.  Doing this, however, prevents you from posing the figure or modifying their morphs or adding clothes/hair to them after they have been converted.  If you need to make a crowd you can then take these props and use create node instances on them to effeciently clone them without using up too many system resources.  I can post detailed steps if you're interested in this approach.

I used this method before, although I can't remember how I did it. But it's useful if you want a bunch of people who look the same, a bunch of uniformed characters like stormtroopers or whatever.

• DekeDeke Posts: 1,623

I'll try the base resolution method. Saving as a prop would be great for filling bleachers with a lot of bodies, but I need folks walking up and down a street. Can you apply animation blocks to a prop? 

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited September 2015
    Deke said:

I'll try the base resolution method. Saving as a prop would be great for filling bleachers with a lot of bodies, but I need folks walking up and down a street. Can you apply animation blocks to a prop? 

not the way you want. once a prop, its not a figure with bones and what have you. though if you just needed them to slide side to side like cutouts in that home alone movie...

Post edited by larsmidnatt on