log.txt file et al.

Hi all,

I am trying to make sense of my log.txt file. Here is the snippet:

Finished Rendering
Total Rendering Time: 16 hours 17 minutes 44.95 seconds
Saved image: E:\DAZ3D Renders\560516-bachelorpad3.png
Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Device statistics:
Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend info :     CPU (4 threads): 2193 iterations, 9.806s init, 58645.167s render

Is the number of samples 2193?

I have a 7 year old computer so I am aso wondering if getting to 2193 samples in 16 hours very slow? As you can see, I am justifying the expense to my conscience for buying a new pc with CUDA power ;)

Thanks for any feedback!

Comments

• ToborTobor Posts: 2,300

Iterations = samples per pixel. 

Your 16 time is not unheard of, especally if the scene is somewhat dark, or has other hard-to-compute elements.

• IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,126

3D art is a resource intensive hobby.The more ram and processing units you have, the faster your renders will be.To borrow a phrase from the sport of drag racing "There is no Replacement for Displacement"

The number of iterations you can get in a given time isn't really important if your render looks good.I've seen renders that looked fantastic at 100 iterations, and some that looked terrible after 5k iterations.

• Okay sounds good!

I do notice that this render had low 'mood lighting' going on so the 16 hours it took makes sense. So what I'm taking away is that the darker a scene is the longer it will take to look 'good' regardless of the sample count...

I suppose it's liking sleeping on 100 thread count sheets vs 200 thread count sheets - I still fall asleep on top of them...

• ToborTobor Posts: 2,300

Low light levels is only one thing that can cause renders to take longer. There are many other reasons.

So, you'll just have to get that CUDA-enabled card! wink

• Tobor said:

Low light levels is only one thing that can cause renders to take longer. There are many other reasons.

So, you'll just have to get that CUDA-enabled card! wink

I'm sold! Thanks Tobor ;)