Iray speed and resourses

edited September 2015 in Daz Studio Discussion

Hi. I would like to know is it posible to make i-ray spend less PC resourses. My PC is pretty slow and also gpu just geforce gt 730 gt 2gb. When I switch to cpu in options or only gpu it change nothing, also in the optimisation memory or speed the some results. Pretty long and loads my CPU on 100% is there any other things depends of Iray speed and resourses like kind of lights, environment, numbers of items in scene or behind scene?

Cause sometimes enough one hour, sometimes even 8 not enough. This is question about 3 characters in the scene when I start story with one environment like locker it took 2 hours, in room it alredy took 4 more hours and noteven complete. it says 0,02% converget and repeat this message after 100-150 irratiations the picture become less grainy but very very slow. Is this kind of materials?

There are two spot lights in the scene also I made window, lamp and entireroom like mesh light with intensity 10000-30000 is that the problem?

Any advices? Can I make it better with out upgrade?

Thanks in advance!

Post edited by confiados_bea7a0dbf4 on

Comments

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,075

Stop using mesh lights. USe the Iray spotlights. You get softbox effects by chanign the light gepmertry to rectangle of disk, etc and changing the height and width to 100 or greater (units in cm). Adjust the luminous flux accordingly since the value is meant for the point default.

Your GPU has very few cuda cores so it will be slow. If your scene requires more memory than the card has, the gpu will not be used and the render will switch to cpu. If you have an older or less powerful cpu, with limited ram, it will load to 100% and be slower.

Short answer, no you can't make it much better without upgrade.

You can make smaller scenes. If you try to render a large outdoor scene, even if simple tiray will try to model light bouncing all over.

In Render Settings>Optimization, try setting Maz path length to 8 or 10. The default -1 setting allows light to bounce indefinitely, a postive setting limits the number of bounces. somehwere between 5 and 10 may be accpetable and may speed renders.