Many walls, many scales, one texture

Ok, hope I can explain this...

I'm merging two different rooms to make a single one that fits my needs.  To do this, I'm mainly using one of the walls (an independent object) over and over and over again, in different positions and scaling it (horizontaly) to fit where I need it.  I'm also using a few plane primatives to fill in gaps.

I've gotten the room set up how I want it physcially, but now comes texturing, and the problem I'm hitting is that because different walls are using different scaling (some original 100% across the board, others different x scales) the same texture on each wall looks very different.

SO, before I attempt to match each different wall segment by hand, I figured I'd ask if there were any tricks I could use to make everything work naturally.

I concidered exporting all the walls as a single obj and re-importing it.  I think that would make ther resulting a bunch of 100% parts, BUT  1) I'm not sure what would happen with the different texture zones already there (like wall and trim) AND 2) I'm pretty sure I'd lose the ability to turn off wall segments as needed for camera placement, which would in the least be inconvient.

So, any one have any thoughts on this?

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

umm   Emulsion paint   

Sorry, couldn't resist that. 

• ErdehelErdehel Posts: 386
    edited September 2015

In such a case I mostly use the UV settings of the shader on the surfaces. It is the only way I know to achieve what you're apparently trying to do. If you scaled differently two matching multisurface textures then UV settings won't suffice.

Post edited by Erdehel on
  • FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,673

I tend to keep the same scale on all walls if I can. You could change the tiling numbers on each wall to compensate for the scaling difference, but it would be hard to make it match exactly.

• Divide the actual x scale by 100. Multiply the horizontal tiling byt that number. So if one wall is 85% set Horizontal tiling to .85, for example. As long as there aren't cutouts for walls or windoiws that should work.

• KinichKinich Posts: 862

Would Dimension Theory's Shades of Life shader series be of any use? It has Projection shaders as well as UV based ones that are intended to be used in this sort of scenario, the Urban set is here: http://www.daz3d.com/shades-of-life-urban-construct

• ScavengerScavenger Posts: 2,664

Divide the actual x scale by 100. Multiply the horizontal tiling byt that number. So if one wall is 85% set Horizontal tiling to .85, for example. As long as there aren't cutouts for walls or windoiws that should work.

I'll give that a try, thanks Richard.

Kinich said:

Would Dimension Theory's Shades of Life shader series be of any use? It has Projection shaders as well as UV based ones that are intended to be used in this sort of scenario, the Urban set is here: http://www.daz3d.com/shades-of-life-urban-construct

What is a projection shader?

I tend to keep the same scale on all walls if I can. You could change the tiling numbers on each wall to compensate for the scaling difference, but it would be hard to make it match exactly.

Thank you for repeating the situation presented in the original post. I guess it's helpful? to know you avoid the problem I'm trying to solve.

Chohole said:

umm   Emulsion paint   

I applaud you on your fine joke that I don't understand at all. :)

The 2 Projection shader packs I see say "they apply based on camera viewpoint".

So they look different based on which camera you use? or they only look good from a single camera view?

(looks like DT only has the urban and nature packs....this is a hotel room I'm working on, so doesn't really work for this project)

Scavenger said:

Chohole said:

umm   Emulsion paint   

I applaud you on your fine joke that I don't understand at all. :)

Sorry about that. It is just that, over here anyway, they have a habit in rental properties of painting all the walls with emulsion paint (Usually Magnolia colour), so no problem about matching anything

Ah.. your first mistake was assuming I knew what Emulsion Paint was :D

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

Basically, the cheap home improvement center bulk latex paint...(at least for the rental units).

mjc1016 said:

Basically, the cheap home improvement center bulk latex paint...(at least for the rental units).

Have to laugh really, one paint company over here refuse to even have magnolia as a colour in their color charts. There was a campaign called "Say no to Magnolia"

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited September 2015

Over here, it's a not quite white white...in fact there's one brand of cheap toothpaste that is a very close match to that particular color.  and yes, using that toothpaste is a very common thing when patching tiny holes, when moving out (especially evident in units occupied by college students).

Post edited by mjc1016 on
  • srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    Scavenger said:

The 2 Projection shader packs I see say "they apply based on camera viewpoint".

So they look different based on which camera you use? or they only look good from a single camera view?

(looks like DT only has the urban and nature packs....this is a hotel room I'm working on, so doesn't really work for this project)

I vaguely recall a thread that discussed this in detail, but can't find it.   I'm thinking this got discussed one one of these shaders was first released, wasn't there some question as to how this might affect animation and/or reflections that are of courese viewing the texture from a different angle than the camera?  Maybe somebody has the link, or knows what to search for? 

I would also be interested in knowing of any other projection shaders that are available.

I haven't thought this idea through, but might it be possible to use one of the nature/urban shaders as a starting point and modify it in shader mixer (if that is possible) to get your hotel room material?

Well, surprsingly, Richards simple math solution worked, so i got the hotel finsihed (well, need to figure out lighting, but that's a whole other thread :/ )

I'd still like to learn more about the "projection shaders"

• Scavenger said:

They are like a slide projector mounted on the camera and using the objects they are applied to as a screen.

Scavenger said:

They are like a slide projector mounted on the camera and using the objects they are applied to as a screen.

So then my questions above: So they look different based on which camera you use? or they only look good from a single camera view? 

The answers are YES?  And are there ones besides the two dT made?

• That' actually a bit tricky to asnwer clearly. Given the same parameters the items they are applied to will look like a segment of the same pattern from any angle - it will be like a cut-out from a piece of patterned paper with the outline of the item, with the lighting effects (specularity, shading and shadows) on top. The trick, of course, is to vary the parameters to get a natural lookng reslt - though they can't really be used very well on surfaces that are nearly parallel to the camera vector as there is no scaling for distance. It is possible to use the shaders in UV mode, where the pattern is determined by position on the surface not position in the view.