Clothing texture question

I really tried searching the forums and tutorials and google for this but all I created was a nightmare of giggerish it seemed like. Maybe I wasn't typing in the right words, I don't know....

But what I want to do is retexture a current item. I want to make areas of a clothing item invisible, like shorten the sleeve of a t-shirt. Or change the neck line of a clothing item to be lace. 

Are there any tutorials out there showing a texturing of a template? I looked in the tutorials here and all the images attached to the tuts are broken, so I can't 'see' if what I'm looking at is what I want. Using the search feature all I get back is a bunch of hits based on what I typed in the search such: Texturing a template, I got a lot of hits on just the letter A....nothing on what I'm looking for. *bangs head on desk*

Comments

• Hi, Nosiferret,

What will you be using to make your textures?  Do you have a 3D program where you can paint directly on the model?  By far, this is the best and easiest way to work because you can clean up seams much easier as you weill see them on the model three-dimensionally.  Once I know what you have to work with (3D painting, Photoshop, Gimp, etc) then I can give you some more information.  :)

• Hmm.  If you want to remove an entire surface, you can select that surface and set its Opacity to zero.  That can get rid of a sleave sometimes.

For changing the material of a surface, you'd probably use a Shader.

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,281

I suspect that somewhere you ought to be able to find a tutorial about making transparency maps. You make those in a raster graphics program, like the GIMP or Photoshop and apply it into the opacity settings of the surfaces pane. 

The transparency map can block out parts of a model without creating or applying a matt zone or changing a texture i.e., painting a hole into a wall, but it's a good idea to consider editing the texture to arrange for there being a hole there as well.

• Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,228
    edited September 2015

The reason I asked what you would be doing your textures in is because when you do them in 2D as opposed to 3D, you'll often run into mismatching seams.  

Example, you have a shirt and the UV islands have an island for the front of the shirt, another for the back and still more for the sleeves.  The islands are not necessarily placed so that seamed areas are next to each other.  It is likely that you the island boundaries correspond to the tops of the shoulders and the sides of the body, and the arms split from armpit to wrist.  Very often they are similar to sowing patterns in this respect.  

So if you draw where the neckhole will be, and it's shape, you will be starting on the front and will continue on the back and you will need to check that where the shoulder seams are, they match up.  

If you are doing this on a 3D model in a program that allows you to paint directly on the model, you stand a better chance of the seams matching because the shirt will be continuous, and not discontiguous as the UV islands representing the shirt are.

I hope that makes sense.

Post edited by Cris Palomino on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

I really tried searching the forums and tutorials and google for this but all I created was a nightmare of giggerish it seemed like. Maybe I wasn't typing in the right words, I don't know....

But what I want to do is retexture a current item. I want to make areas of a clothing item invisible, like shorten the sleeve of a t-shirt. Or change the neck line of a clothing item to be lace. 

Are there any tutorials out there showing a texturing of a template? I looked in the tutorials here and all the images attached to the tuts are broken, so I can't 'see' if what I'm looking at is what I want. Using the search feature all I get back is a bunch of hits based on what I typed in the search such: Texturing a template, I got a lot of hits on just the letter A....nothing on what I'm looking for. *bangs head on desk*

Did you mean something like this.   I used the Seam guide template from Snow Sultan, for the MFD   as a demo

http://chohole.ovbi.org/texture_tutorial.htm

• Excellent, Chohole! :)

• Thanks all. The bodice on the Elven Grove outfit is what I wanted to adjust. I wanted to try and create a worn look, make it threadbare-fray or holes due to injury as in torn, in places which would require a few holes in the current texture. The only thing I've accomplished so far is create a gray area where the holes are...I can't remember how to make the program see those holes as blank see-thru spots in the texture. 

• DestinysGardenDestinysGarden Posts: 2,550
    edited September 2015

You want to make a transparency map. It will be a black and white map, where the black part is the hole, or the invisible part, and the white part is what is shown. Shades of grey will be partially transparent.

Put this map in the "Opacity."

Hope that helps.

Post edited by DestinysGarden on
  • JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,281

Marieah's Hybrid Grunge shaders can add a dirty or ragged overlay to your item's original texture. This is an old package for 3DL, not Iray.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,968

Although if you are clever some of the grunge shaders can still work. My 'slime beast' render actually uses the blood hybrid grunge shader in various ways.

http://willbear.deviantart.com/art/Slime-horror3-559936791